Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Too Much Too Fast?

I have lost 38lbs according to my scale and my post op visit isnt until 4/8--banded 3/25! Im excited..this was the whole point of the surgery...Let ur band do what its supposed to do for u! develop a good relationship with ur Dr. and communitcate how u r feeling to him/her. They r there to help.

Keep the lbs coming off and keep up the Great Work :scared2:

Remember you first pounds are Water weight. Many of us lose a lot the first few weeks. The heavier you are the more you lose in the beginning. PLEASE follow your doctors advise on adding food. You are in the healing process and must do as he/she says. Remember this is a life style change and the band is an excellent tool when used correctly. Good luck on your journey to good health!

Wait, wait, wait. Some of you are busting my chops. Let me clarify.

I have felt absolutely awful. Like I'm completely malnurished. I felt weak and tired...getting progressively worse each day...which is why I wondered if I was losing too much too fast.

I needed to eat something of substance, so I ate 3/4 of a cup of Pasta over the course of an hour. It isn't like I'm eating pizza and cake frosting. :welldoneclap:

I felt much better after getting a small dose of carbs. I still lost 2lbs in a day. I just wondered if anyone else jumped ahead of the recommended diet.

Honestly, the only thing I've had any problems with at all is drinking Fluid too fast.

Thanks for all of the info, everyone. It seems as if we've all gotten different recommendations from our surgeons. I guess it is best to just go with trial and error with our individual bodies....

Also remember you just had surgery with crappy anesthesia which makes you feel tired. I had no energy for about 2 weeks after. That will change. People here are just concerned that you are careful and want you to be successful. Dont be afraid to call your doctor with questions too. After all he didn't do the surgery for free!:grouphug:

I totally understand! I was banded last Friday and with the2 weeks of preop and 1 week of post op shakes I have lost 26 lbs and am worried about too much weight too soon. I also have been hitting the gym everyday. My Doctor told me no restrictions except Protein Drinks only for the first 4 weeks. I messed up and ate some sugarfree Jello during the last week and it did not bother me. I guess I thought it was all right because they gave it to me in the hospital after surgery.

OK, I definitely didnt jump ahead of my scheduled diet - I stayed on liquids/mushies etc as I was instructed to.

My instructions for full liquids were "anything that goes up a straw". Start very liquidy, and progressively thicken so that by the time mushies starts 3 weeks later, I was having quite thick liquids.< /p>

I needed carbs too. I made Soups that contained meat, vegies and Pasta and blended those well, to the liquid consistency I needed by adding broth as required. I blended down family meals with broth and ate those too. Real food. Tiny amounts, liquid conistency, low calories but real food. I stopped passing out once I started eating properly and stopped trying to live on Optifast and V8 juice.

If you need some carbs, then have them but stay with the consistency you require, DONT eat them in solid form. Even something like leek and potato Soup is going to give you a good energy burst.

But losing so much weight so fast - that's just Water weight. Its not the cause of you feeling low, that's anaesthesia and very low calories. Let your body lose what it loses, it will slow down and even out soon enough.

But stay with liquids and mushies as you're instructed. You can do real damage but not know it till months down the track when you have a slip. There is NO need to starve on liquids, instead of trying to survive on Jello and popsicles just blend up some real food. You can get in a good 1000 calories a day or more this way. fruit smoothies, yogurt, blended Soups etc.

Edited by Jachut