Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hello everyone,

I'm new at this so just want to introduce myself and ask a few question about the lap band. i had my lap-band surgery on Nov. 3, 2008 i had weighed 215lbs. I have had 3 adjustment and I i have only lost 23 lbs and now i feel stuck. I just had my 3rd adjustment on Tuesday when i weight in it shown that i gain 2lbs is that normal? i can eat anything except bread and rice, and i don't feel any restriction what so ever. I still throw-up a lot when i do eat bread and rice. so is anyone having this same problem? am I doing something wrong? i see the Dr. every 6 weeks instead of 4, by the time i see him again i'm so discourage that i think i made a mistake doing this.

Another thing, the weight i have lost I don't feel any different i just know that i lost a few lbs because my clothes doesn't fit so tight, looking in a mirror i still see FAT! whats up with that lol i'm I having an eye problem? maybe i should have done the gastric bypass.

will someone please hit me back......

You probably need more fills to get to the spot when yu are not hungry between meals and make right food choices and stop vominting you can get slips and it makes the skin around the stomach swell for a long time and itgets into a vicious cycle of swelling and more vomiting.

Instead of going every 6 weeks for a fill go every 3-4 weeks. Keep trying, don't give up and most important make sure you are exercising at least 3 days a week. Good luck!

It sounds like your metabolism is very slow. Eat every three hours. Eat very healthy. Try focusing on this ratio with the food you eat every three hours. 80% Protein, 20% complex carbs. Proteins should be animal proteins like, chicken and fish. Complex carbs should be from veggies. (no white carbs such as rice, Pasta, potato's) If you want to eat pasta then have whole wheat. Do your own research on how to get your metabolism burning high. The band is a tool and expecting to lose substantial weight by just restriction alone wont work. Add in your exercise and make it a routine. This is the key to get your weight off! Walking is a good start. Minimum 45-60 mins a day. Always challenge your self and set goals to increase the time or speed. I started walking then moved to eliptical. Now I can run on a treadmill for an hour!. As you progress in your weight loss increase your activities and increase your food intake to keep your metabolism running high. Good luck:biggrin:

2 pounds up could be nothing more than normal fluctuation. Remember that women, much more so than men, have weight fluctuations due to a variety of reasons including hormone changes. Drink your Water. Exercise. For the band to work for you, you can't sit around and wait for it, though. Get outside. Take a walk everyday. Build up how far you can go by slowly adding distance. It's spring which should be another incentive to get outside and enjoy the milder weather. Remember, your band is a tool to provide you with Portion Control. It's not a magic spell.

Don't get discouraged. You were banded just 3 days before me, and you're doing fine. 23 lbs down is better than 23 up! And, you've only had 3 fills. My 4th fill made all the difference in the world! This isn't a diet! It's a lifetime change that will take some time to reach your goal. This takes some perserverance at first, but it gets easier...I promise!

I got stuck at 25 lbs for about 5 weeks, then starting losing again. Give your body time to adjust to the new you!

A few things to keep in mind... Drink lots of Water. Stop drinking 1/2 hr before mealtime. Eat lean Protein. No junk! Don't waste your meal on crappy food. Make sure you are taking small bites and chewing very well before you swallow. Wait 1/2 hr after eating to start drinking more water. Track your calories for a couple of weeks to make sure you're not eating too much. Ask your doctor for guidance on what and how much he thinks you should eat. Now the bad news...you have to exercise. You are changing your life now, and adding exercise is the next step. Join a gym, or work out at home. Get out and walk everyday at a pretty good pace. Don't kill yourself, but do put some effort into it. That will help firm things up and you'll start to look better and feel better.

At our age the weight is going to be harder to lose than some of the younger ones, simply because our metabolism isn't what it was 20 years ago.

So, be patient with yourself. Stick to your program and the hard work will pay off! :Banane35:I wish you all the best!

Lady, don't be so hard on yourself. You didn't gain it overnight and as a slow loser you aren't going to lose it overnight. There are many good suggestions here. I, too, am a slow loser and have lost the same as you but was banded 10/7. I was getting discouraged but read here daily to get positive reinforcement and ideas. We will make it.

Best wishes,

Mimi

Thanks everyone for the support,

I work out 3 times a week. I'm always working on something so I don't sit for very long period of time. I don't eat a lot, and I'm a vegetarian eat fish occasionally, being a vegetarian has limited of what i can intake that won't make me throw-up. I'm talking about the food that i like to eat, I'm sure there is plenty of vegetarian food out there but not all taste good. I use to be a quite eater, i know and I have work on that for a year before my surgery, and i feel like i have made great stride,(quite eater) mean I eat alone at night when things are very quite i have stop doing that sometime i crave for cheese and that use to be my down fall at night. liquids and Soup seen to be the only thing that i don't throw-up, and that get tiresome. my 3 favorite thing are rice, potatoes, cheese i have taken 1 out of my diet and that i s rice I'm a work in process for the potatoes and cheese i now only eat them once a month small potion. I'm hanging in there thanks for the help.

Edited by Lady8Soul