Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill question

I go in on Tuesday for my first fill, which I NEED because I have no restriction. I was wondering if I can request a larger amount for my first fill since I want restriction. I've read that it takes some people til their second or third fill to feel restriction.. and I don't want that to happen. Thanks!

How much of a fill do you want? If your Dr lets you pick how much of a fill you want then I think he was not a good Dr for you to see. If you wanted to take weight off fast then you should have had the bypass. I'm not trying to be mean I just think you should take it slow so your hair doesn't fall out and you don't have other problems.

I took it slow and my hair fell out...but that doesn't mean taking it slow is a bad thing. You can certainly ask your surgeon, and some are aggressive, but from what I've read (not a doc) aggressive fills are more likely to cause trouble down the road. It has taken me 5 fills and a LONG time to finally get restriction, but my doc said he feels it's the best way to do things and that he's setting me up for long term success. That doesn't mean I don't wish it had happened earlier, but he IS the one with the experience, not me. However, you should ask your surgeon what his policy is and express your concerns to him. My doc had no problem discussing with me why he believes in going slowly etc...

I agree. Follow your doctor's advice. Give him accurate information regarding how much you eat, how often you eat, etc. Then he can judge the right amount of fill for you. Too much of a fill can cause problems requiring you to go back for an unfill. Remember, this is a long journey and you are just in the beginning. Pace yourself and you will enjoy long term success and will be able to finish the race without pooping out.

Most doctors will use their own discretion as to how much to fill you. I had my first fill on 2/23 and have had absolutely no restriction! I go Monday for my second fill. I hope I have some restriction this time, but I trust my doc and will take whatever he gives me. I view losing weight with the help of the lapband as a marathon, not a sprint. As long as I stay in the race for the long haul, I will be ok.

I view losing weight with the help of the lapband as a marathon, not a sprint. As long as I stay in the race for the long haul, I will be ok.

Excellent advice.

Hello All

my provider only puts .50 cc each office visit til i reach that sweet spot..

I go in on Tuesday for my first fill, which I NEED because I have no restriction. I was wondering if I can request a larger amount for my first fill since I want restriction. I've read that it takes some people til their second or third fill to feel restriction.. and I don't want that to happen. Thanks!

You can request whatever you like. That doesnt mean he will give you what you want:laugh:...but I think you should TOTALLY tell him why you feel you need a good sized fill.

I knew going into my first fill that I didnt want a silly little fill that left me feeling like nothing had happened. I didnt have any Fluid in my band post-op, and could eat anything I wanted. But my doc is wonderful, so when he asked me questions like "are you having any problems with eating, drinking, etc" and "Can you eat a sandwich with no problem" (my answer was oh yes), he said that he was going to give me 4cc's.

That was 2 weeks ago. I didnt feel any difference. So, I called back last week and asked if I could come in for another fill. He said sure, and this last Thursday he gave me another 1.5cc's. Now I can finally feel a difference! Yeah!:frown:

So, my point is. Be honest with your doc about what you can and can't eat. Hopefully he will listen to you and has the experience to decide how much he wants to put in. Everybody's body is different. As is everyone's doc!

Good luck.

Had my first fill today which was 1.5 cc. Doc actually wanted to put more but I wanted to be consverative for first fill as I have had no PBs or Vomits and do not want to start!

Do be cautious. Trust your doctor and make sure you are not over filled. A band is there to give restriction NOT to give you obstruction. Going slow is not always a bad thing and should be decided on a case by case basis.