Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Supporting my wife through Lap Band

Hello to all! I've just registered to support my wife who has made the decision to go ahead and do the Lap Band procedure out of pocket.

*sigh*

I am not overly concerned about the procedure. The facility seems to really care and is in order.

What I need to do is to kill my wife's "addiction" to Pepsi. As I sit here typing, I look over at our kitchen table and see four cases of Pepsi.

I don't drink soda.

The other issue is finding cookbooks for my wife's needs after the surgery. I'm sure I'll find plenty of recipes and books on this site though. My culinary degree will help too! :tongue_smilie:

I'm really hoping to be able to excersise with my wife at somewhat of an equal level. Maybe one day I can teach her some jiu-jitsu. I can really see this 4'11" woman throwing some serious ground skills up on someone if she needed! Right now she's just not comfortable enough in her own skin, carrying around all that extra weight.

I suppose that it doesn't help that I've been able to absolutely shed weight through my excersise and drive. I've lost around 80 lbs since 2007. I see the hurt and disapointment in my wife that she's going the other way. :thumbup:

So...thank you in advance for all the support and ideas.

Ah, jiu-jutsu. I'm an Aikido man, myself, although in college I knew a fellow that practiced "small circle jiu-jutsu". There are currently no facilities within 60 miles of where I live to train Krav Maga or Jiu-jutsu. It's the price of living in rual Texas, I guess.

Anywho, welcome to lapbandtalk. I think you'll find this is a fantastic resource and database for your wife. I wish her luck....and congrats on your weight loss as well.

Hello to all! I've just registered to support my wife who has made the decision to go ahead and do the Lap Band procedure out of pocket.

*sigh*

I am not overly concerned about the procedure. The facility seems to really care and is in order.

What I need to do is to kill my wife's "addiction" to Pepsi. As I sit here typing, I look over at our kitchen table and see four cases of Pepsi.

I don't drink soda.

The other issue is finding cookbooks for my wife's needs after the surgery. I'm sure I'll find plenty of recipes and books on this site though. My culinary degree will help too! :tongue_smilie:

I'm really hoping to be able to excersise with my wife at somewhat of an equal level. Maybe one day I can teach her some jiu-jitsu. I can really see this 4'11" woman throwing some serious ground skills up on someone if she needed! Right now she's just not comfortable enough in her own skin, carrying around all that extra weight.

I suppose that it doesn't help that I've been able to absolutely shed weight through my excersise and drive. I've lost around 80 lbs since 2007. I see the hurt and disapointment in my wife that she's going the other way. :thumbup:

So...thank you in advance for all the support and ideas.

Welcome. Your wife is a very blessed woman to have a husband like you. Willing to help in anyway possible. Personally I would donate the Pepsi to a homeless shelter or if you attend a church then there. Soda is not good for the band. Make that clear to your wife. Ask the surgen. Ask your wife what is most important to her, the band or pepsi.

The other way is by no means an easy way! The band is a tool not a cure all. You have to learn to work with it. Eat right and excersize!

There is a recipe section on here. It has recipes for all 3 stages of healing. Clear liquids, mushies, and regular foods. You being a chef (?) will help a lot.

You wife and I are the same height!

Congratulations and good luck to your wife. Congratulations to you for your 80lb weight loss.

Good luck and keep us posted. Both of ya'll! :tt2:

Edited by gone 4 ever

Hi and welcome! I bought a couple "WLS RECIPE" books and they gather dust as I type this, because pre band I was on a very restricted diet and didn't need a recipe because I couldn't have much of anything, post op for the 1st 2 weeks I didn't need a recipe because I couldn't have much of anything, and then before I knew it I was through mushies and soft and back on real food. And Post band, while you CAN diet, you don't have to. I just make good choices (Most of the time) and practice the guidelines I was taught (small bites, chew well, no liquids with or for a bit after meals) and no carbonation (aside from the fact that it HURTS, most usually carbonated bevs are just empty calories)

She will have to break the Pepsi habit; don't proceed until she's ready. Bands can "fail" and that's one way for it to happen....for the calories as much as the mechanics of carbonation, the band, and the pouch.

Good luck! :ohmy:

Hi there Tigard!

The pepsi has got to go! Won't work with the band. Make it a pre-condition for her surgery, if she can't quit the soda, she won't have the discipline to follow the band rules.

I'm getting the third degree from a close friend in Seattle who has had great success with the Lap Band procedure.

...it's not even my vice! LOL! I'll be talking with my wife about this weaning (sp?) off of the soda. Of all the things in this world, she is a Pepsi girl. I am hopeful that she is at that point where she realizes that her health is more important that a sweet kick.

It's funny, the other night I had a swig of her Pepsi...my eyes got all big...I could taste and feel the overwhelming sweetness. It wasn't "bad" per se, just OVERLY sweet. NO mas on the Pepsi! I say this having a bottle of Water next to me.

The culinary degree...Some people call me a chef but I dispise that term, it's so loosely thrown around these days. I'm particularly skilled at grilling and baking. I'm not in the industry anymore, so I'm just a skilled home cook. I'd throw out some of my best recipes but on this forum...I'd be hunted down and strung up. I'll pass on that. On the other hand, I've got some GREAT fresh veggie ideas, recipes, herb and spice usage. I'm completely confident that I can meet my wife's nutritional needs.

One Q though, am I going to need to buy a blender or food processor for her requirements? I actually hope so...I could REALLY use a nice 14 cup Cuisinart processor.

Hey Diablo...Where did you go for all your pre op stuff? I noticed your signature notes.

I am also looking forward to running the Hood To Coast with my wife as soon as she feels ready! This woman has done HTC being in the condition she is now so I ABSOLUTELY know she has the heart!

Edited by sqcomp