Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded today and the pain is.....

Hi,

I was banded this morning bright and early, Monday, March 16th, 2009 at 7:30 a.m. I am home now. And the pain is minimal if any. I don't have any gas (knock on wood). It only hurts when I twist or get out of the recliner, lol. The only thing even remotely giving me trouble is my throat where they put a tube down it. I started out my morning by going to the wrong hospital, but found out in time and made my appointment. There are so many Baylor Medical Centers around Grapevine, Texas it's ridiculous. The operation took 37 minutes from start to finish and that's including everything. About 27 minutes worth of surgery. Dr. Benavides is a Master!!! I was up walking 10 minutes after I woke up. No shoulder pain nada, nothing. It's great so far. I'll keep you up to date. I waited 6 months for this and so far all I can say is it's worth the wait.

Regards,

Ikerry

Day two: Woke up this morning feeling fine. The general anesthesia has worn off from the day before....I know because now although I am still without gas or nausea (anyone need some Gasx strips, lol) I have soreness. I felt it getting out of bed. I slept on my side like I always do and feel great this morning. I am eating, rather drinking Water, crystal lite, and have had only two Protein shakes. I plan on more shakes today. I am not hungry at all. I am just a little sore from the incisions. Not bad at all. I am very surprised it has gone this well.

Day three: Slept again in bed last night on my side and all went well. I have not had either nausea or gas since I was banded. My incisions are sore but the pain is relatively minimal if I don't strain myself. I turn on my side when getting out of my recliner. I am drinking Water, crystal lite, and Protein Shakes. I also had two cups of sugar free Jello (strawberry). I also had three sugar free popsicles. I am not hungry. So far so good.

Edited by ikerry
update

Awwww..good for you!!

Yeah when I was banded in was in alot of pain and they gave me PROTONIX to take..they also told me to drink fluids for 2 weeks so that way my band can heal up ...I remember it like it happened yesterday LOL

Hi,

Just wanted to let readers know, that I am updating it each day to basically share my experience with them. So far into middle of day two and all is going well. A bit of soreness around the port incision, which is the largest but that is all. No nausea or gas problems thus far. Very surprising to say the least. Is this the usual way or am I lucky? Waiting for things to happen that I've read about and nothing major or minor so far.

Regards,

ikerry:smile:

Edited by ikerry
updating

Hi Ikerry,

Congrats !!!! I was banded on the 11th. I only had 1 really bad night ( 12th ) after that like you things have been smooth sailing. I am even back to work. Keep up the good work and keep feeling good.

Hi,

I updated to day three. Little pain, just soreness. I haven't taken any medicine since I got home.

Regards,

ikerry:biggrin:

Hi,

Just wanted to let readers know, that I am updating it each day to basically share my experience with them. So far into middle of day two and all is going well. A bit of soreness around the port incision, which is the largest but that is all. No nausea or gas problems thus far. Very surprising to say the least. Is this the usual way or am I lucky? Waiting for things to happen that I've read about and nothing major or minor so far.

Regards,

ikerry:smile:

ikerry, I was banded on Monday too. I'm having problems getting the Protein Drinks, Water and crystal light down. If feels like it wants to come up. This is a little scary for me. I hope this goes away.

ikerry,

I was banded by Dr. Benevides too and he is wonderful. I was banded in december 08 and my whole process was very smooth...hardly any pain and a fast recovery.:sneaky:

I really hope I get to post almost the exact same thing in two months.

Congratulations on starting the journey!!

Hi,

I would call my doctor and ask why you are having those problems. I am drinking shakes, Water, fruit punch (sugar free), and eating Jello and Popsicles. You shouldn't be sick from drinking. Call them. Traviaun, tell me what it was like a month after banded, two months after banded, and now three months down the road. I am very interested to hear how you have done and what you are eating.

Regards,

ikerry

weight.png

Edited by ikerry
update

ikerry,

I feel absolutely wonderful! I can hardly tell that I have even had surgery. I do have restriction and I am getting my 3rd small fill tomorrow. I have no pain or sorness what so ever.

I am sticking to a 1200-1400 calorie diet (as recommended by my nutritionist). Here is a small breakdown of a typical day for me:

Breakfast: oatmeal and turkey bacon or cold Cereal and fruit

Lunch: Lean Cuisine or a small salad or a half a sandwich

Dinner: A meat and Veggie

Snacks: a piece of fruit or string cheese or yogurt

I have to eat a little more on the days I work out so I might add more fruit or yogurt or cheese.< /p>

Wow...after writing this it seems like a lot! lol...however, I rarely make my 1200 calories in the day. I work out about 5 days a week for 45 minutes - 2.5 miles on the treadmill.

I hope this helps!

Hi,

Well, another day has come and gone. I feel great. The soreness is wearing off. The only incision that I feel is the one with the port. It is still a bit tender. Drinking and Eating wise I'm fine. No nausea or gas yet....ever. I was told to watch out for this. I have 18 gasx strips waiting to go just in case, but haven't needed them. I had my first Fred Flintstone Vitamin today. Smooth city. I am not experiencing any hunger pangs at all. I am still surprised at the lack of pain. I have two prescriptions that I have just in case but haven't used them. I can't say enough about the great job that Dr. Benavides did for me in Dallas. Now I'm looking forward to my first fill 4/13/09. I wish all of you getting banded the same success. Day four.

Thanks Traviaun for the update. I gives me something to look forward to down the road. Very cool.

Regards,

Ikerry:biggrin:

weight.png

Edited by ikerry
update

The following is from my Dr. office when I asked them about my port pain (edited to remove the names of the Dr.): "The pain in the port area is very common. The muscle reacts a bit to being stapled and certain abdominal muscle activities sort of irritate the port. I would expect you would have some discomfort on and off for about six weeks. Really severe pain with reddness and heat from the area or any drainage is not normal and you should see us ASAP if that is happening. I would expect that by the 7th you would be well healed. Just let me know. If PCP has questions he should give us a call. The nurses can answer or will talk with Surgeon and get back to PCP."

Hi,

It's been 5 whole days since I was banded. I had minimal pain at first and it's only gotten better. Now the only pain I have is when I press down on the port. So I don't do that, lol. All the other incisions are fine. I am showering everyday. I am drinking Protein Shakes called Wonder Slim. They are chocolate flavored and taste great. I am trying to get in as much Water as I can. I have learned over the last week to take sips not gulps. Since I am two weeks away from food, I am concentrating on sugar free Jello, popsicles, and crystal lite. I haven't been hungry so far. All is well. I had no idea it would go this smoothly. I wish everyone who is getting banded should have the same experience. It's been surprisingly smooth.

Regards,

ikerry

weight.png

I was banded on Jan 16,09. Had my first fill two weeks ago and now I have less restriction than I did before? What is the deal???? He put in 1cc and is having me go back on April 9th for the second one. I had lost 30 pounds but have gained back 2 pounds this past 2 weeks, very frustrating to me.

Hi,

Since I just got banded, I don't know a thing about refills and any problems associated with them. I would suggest starting your own thread with that question. I will be interested to hear the answers.

Thanks,

ikerry