Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey gang. I'm guilty for taking in a lot of great information from this site but not giving much back so I thought I would finally post something. I was banded by Dr. Gonzalez at TLC Edge in Plano 3 days ago. All in all, things are going well. I have been very pleased with Dr. G...he spent considerable time with me and my wife at my pre-op app't and answered any and every question we had!

Op day: got to surgery center at 6:15 am, did paperwork soon thereafter and vitals were being done by 7:15. As far as I recall they were wheeling me back to the op room around 7:45. Next thing I knew it was close to 11 am and I was waking up. They seem pretty eager to get you going so you don't sleep around all day I guess. Anyway, got home around noon and began having some thoughts such as wow, this wasn't bad afterall! I even had a healthy appetite and talked my wife into going to Pei Wei to get me a bowl of hot/sour Soup (I do not recommend this). For the record, I did not cheat once on my 2 week pre-op diet so I was ready to eat something with some substance. I ate a little bit of the Soup after putting it through the blender and proceeded to sleep a good part of the day away. Most notable side effects upon waking up were minor pains in abdomen from surgery, considerable gas pains (in shoulder and back) and really uncomfortable burning sensation in my chest. Some nausea too.

Day 1: Slept well last night and seem to be recovering well although still have gas pains and burning sensation in chest. Will I ever be able to burp again? Only took Advil today for pain. Napped considerably...I think this may be a little more serious than I originally thought...do people really go back to work the next day? No appetite whatsoever. Drinking sips of Gatorade but not feeling like I am getting enough hydration.

Day 2: Slept horribly last night due to napping good part of the day yesterday. Horrible tightness, burning in chest and gas pains are really getting old (it even hurts to breathe in deep). Got up at 3 am and tried sleeping on the couch although still very uncomfortable. Tried walking later in the afternoon, got half way down the street and thought I was going to be sick so had to come home. Spent some time at the sink feeling nauseous but nothing ever happened. Took nausea medicine and that seemed to help. Wanted a milk shake...drank 4 sips and through rest away. This was definitely the worst day yet...nausea, stomach upset, gas pains, crankiness, etc., etc. Not so sure this was the right decision. Ate bowl of bland potato soup later in the day and held it down well. Don't recommend watching Tribal Thunder with Ben Stiller...major waste of time!

Day 3 (today): Slept much better last night. Took my liquid pain killer before bed time and it helped me get through the night. First a.m. thought...I think today is going to be a better day. Still have some burning in chest although disipated some and gas pains continue. I still feel like if I could have a really productive burp that I would feel much better...no luck. Currently working on drinking an 8oz Protein shake which I am hoping will give me a little more energy today. It is going down well and so far I am feeling good. Think I'll talk the wife into going and walking around Lowe's today. :) Planning on going back to work tomorrow.

My three day's experience tells me to take it sloooow. While this is a minimally invasive procedure, it is a serious one with serious internal implications. I am going to be doing a better job of following the recommended post-op procedures and looking forward to eating real food again soon. Good day all!

Dallas, TX – banded by Dr. Victor Gonzalez on 3/12/09 - TLC Edge

Pre-op: 295

Op day: 284

Current: 285

Goal: 200

Ht: 6’2”

Hi

I was banded on the same day you were. I am feeling pretty good except for the gas pains. When do they end?

Hey shannybp, how are your gas pains? I can still really feel mine. Sorry if this is TMI, but if I could only have one large full body fart I think I would feel so much better! I actually switched to the gas-x gel tabs as they have twice the active ingredient in them than the strips do.

I had my post-op appointment today with my surgeon and I confessed to him that I have been cheating on my 1 week post-op diet (not sticking to Clear liquids only this week). He said if I am handling the Soups and Protein shakes okay that he is not worried about it and I can start introducing mushies next week as long as I am up to it. My incisions are healing very nicely so I think he is confident that I am bouncing back quickly from this. I am not going to try anything chunky yet but it sure is nice to be able to eat soup...6 weeks ago I would have called that crazy talk!

I really do seem to have some natural restriction...after 5 bites or so my chest tightens up and it feels like a swallowed a tennis ball or something...amazing. My surgeon confirmed that this is my "new full". I don't think I am anywhere close to needing a fill at this point. It's not a full feeling like I remember it being but it's certainly uncomfortable enough that I want to stop eating...hey, whatever it takes, right! I haven't lost any more weight since surgery day but I am honestly not worried about it right now.

I got a McD milkshake today and only drank about an 1/8 of it. It made me sick at my stomach so I through the rest away. I have trimmed my calorie consumption considerably so I can't imagine I won't start losing weight at some point. For the record I only drink milkshakes a few times a year..this was just a simple treat for me...my downfall is southern cooking! The only other side effects I am having 5 days post-op is occasional heart/chest burn and nausea. Other than that I am doing great and glad to be back at work so I can start thinking about other things. Later. :lunch:

I was banded on 3/10/09; one week ago; could not pee when I got home; got that fixed??? but the issue and disappointment is how hungry I have been; more than my 3 week pro op diet...and this diet is not satisfying at all. Thought I was going to see surgeon today, but saw RN instead who then told me that I would be filled for the first time in 6 months. I thought I was going to scream. real frustrated about the lack of information provided or incorrent information provived to me. I have not had any nasea of full fillings at all; infact I feel I can probably eat what I was eating before????? I too have been thinking for me this has been a big mistake...real frustrated.

HI

I'm thinking that may be you should look into getting a second option 6 months seems like a long time for a first fill. Tomorrow will be one week and today is the first day I havn't felt any pain. AND thank the Lord the gas pains are gone.Haveyou tryied esting more protien in shakes or something tohelp with the hunger?:sneaky:

Hey Shanny and rmbj0721 We all share the same band day.

I can tell you that in my loads of research on this band thing that part of the gas problem that your having is coming from the food that your eating. Plain and bland is honestly only to help us, your new stomach has to become used to the food that you put in it.

I have an actual photo of my band in me and just imagine having part of your esophagus turn into your stomach... its used to having food go through it but remember that whatever your putting in it is sitting on that lining ( that's never had food just sit on it before ) and has to adjust to this.

Also place all of your drinks into 2 oz portions, this early on that is really all that your new stomach can handle. Drink the 2 oz ... give it some time and then when you feel hungry again drink another 2 oz. It just sounds like you have way too much going in at one time and your tummy does not know what to think of it.

I for one tried mushies today and realized that no matter how hungry I am my pouch is just not ready for it so I need to just stick to the Protein drinks and Water and wait it out a little.

Good luck to you both !!!

Congrats to you! I was bandand by Dr. G last Nov and I'm doing very well. I lost a total 0f 30 lbs my weight was 202 and now 173 he is a great doctor. The first couple of days I lived off of fat free fruit pops, and applesauce and chicken broth. Take it easy you do not want to force anything down at all for the first 6 weeks.

Hi all, I too was banded recently - March 16th. I am absolutely overjoyed that this type of forum exists...I'm already getting sick of liquids and it's only been 4 days!! My experience so far has actually not been great. I have a lot of gas pains and frequent chest pains (like a ton of pressure sitting on my chest, and it's hard to take deep breaths as well.) The nausea is pretty much gone at least, but I feel so weak from "non-eating" that I delayed going back to work until tomorrow.

As for what I've been eating, I stuck to the pre-op diet to a tee, and lost about 12 pounds. Since the surgery, I've done broth, Protein shakes, cold coffee (yuck, but what choice does an everyday-coffee drinker have??), Water and popsicles. I'll admit, I made macaroni and cheese casserole for my husband last night, and I took two very small bites...I just thought, "I'll just chew these bites super well...." Bad idea, but I just felt I needed some REAL food. Time to recheck my priorities - this surgery is going to pay off, but I have to change my habits. Anyone else cheat so soon after surgery? :tongue_smilie:

Hi Bandster Buds,

Well, I was banded on 3/17. Woke up in recovery and thought, "Whoa, anesthesia rocks, I don't remember anything!" Fought back pain from gas all that night and walked the lonely halls in my sexy hospital gown with my boobs flopping to and fro...

I only had one bout of nausea and that was the night I came home from the hospital. Hadn't had much to eat (drink) and I think the gas was just too much. Heaved pretty badly but managed to move on.

I'm still dealing with major gas issues. Can toot but I have to really push and don't want to do that because it hurts my abdomen and surgery area. Getting broth in and juice....but I feel enormously full in my chest and upper abdomen most of the time so it's hard to tell if I'm hungry or not. Tried the gas-x, not really working. Walking, stretching.....

I'm a little worried I'm having more gas than normal or that I have become the newest Thanksgiving Day Parade float.

I have only lost 6 pounds since starting the liquid pre-op diet. What the hell?????? Does gas add weight?? lol

Somebody make me feel better and tell me that my gas is somewhat normal???:smile: