Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started Mushies and stopped losing weight! help!

Help! Ok, so I weight myself everyday just to see how the food I eat each day affects my weight. Well since I started mushies on Monday, I haven't lost any weight at all and I'm so discouraged! Do I go back to the liquids for a few days? Do I eat less? I haven't been able to eat more than about 750 cals a day because I can't stand anymore, so I thought that that would help me lose faster, but I just stopped altogether! Help me!! I don't have any idea what to do! :thumbup:

The initial time is to heal, not lose. Hang in there. This is the band, not bypass....you are on track! Eat per your doctor's instructions. As you get fills and start to exercise (once you are healed) you'll lose.

You need to let your body heal and let it figure out what happened to it. You JUST got your band and you need to be patient. My Dr told me I would not lose until my first fill (6 weeks) and would likely gain. You need to get prepared for "bandster hell" (the time between your surgery & first fill) as you will not lose any significant amount of weight (I was lucky and lost 4lbs in 6 weeks!)

Keep doing exactly what your doctor said and you will get through and see the scale move!

Having the same problem! I can see why it is called hell waiting for a fill...

I had the same problem but was informed by the docs that this is completely normal and like mentioned above, the period pre-fill is for healing...if you loose during that time its a bonus.

I was just moved off 2 weeks of mushies yesterday, and only lost about a pound by my count. My doc reminded me that this is for healing, and to be prepared to gain a few pounds between now and when I get the first fill... then the losses will start coming again! Hang in there!

Yep just went through it. I didn't lose anything for a good month. I didn't gain anything either. Just keep doing what you're doing, watch what you eat and you will be back on track in about 4 weeks.

According to Doc and everything I have read the body goes into starvation mode at about this point and hordes the calories, its totally normal and I was warned about it. I'm starting mushies too, and its the first day I haven't lost anything, even after a bout with the stomach flu!

Can totally relate to you, how is the healing going? Do you still have any port pain issues? I am now able to sleep for a short time on my left side,, my right hip has been killing me!

had my band done 2/9/09 and I had the same problem. I asked the same ? as soon as I read the answer given to me I felt so much better not feeling so frustrated. Now my prob is eating to much of good things & the bad things because at this time I feel no restriction & not feeling fool??? but using my own will power to stop myself over eating. I hope my first fill will help with that. I was told it may take time to hit that thing they call the sweet spot. My first feel is 3/26/09 Hang in there & God bess everbody:wink:

It is not about the fact you switched to mushies, it is about your body rebelling due to lack of calories. I know it is hard to get in more, try some extra Protein Drinks, more cottage cheese, try to get in at LEAST 1000 cals. I had the same problem and had to bump up to 1200 to loose weight. When I go for more than 5 days with less than 1000, I stop loosing again. If I eat more than 1500 I don't loose. I have to stay in between.

According to Doc and everything I have read the body goes into starvation mode at about this point and hordes the calories, its totally normal and I was warned about it. I'm starting mushies too, and its the first day I haven't lost anything, even after a bout with the stomach flu!

Can totally relate to you, how is the healing going? Do you still have any port pain issues? I am now able to sleep for a short time on my left side,, my right hip has been killing me!

I feel like I'm back at 100%! I cannot sleep on my stomach yet, but that's understandable. Your right hip has been hurting? Is it from the gas that they put in the stomach or what?

Well after getting more fibre in my diet! The weight is slowly going down again. I am also only trying to have 4 small meals a day now instead of 6 as you do on liquid. Waiting now for the 7th April for my 1st fill and the 24th February to eat ''normal'' foods again!

keeping,, the hip thing is due to sleeping on that side all the time.. its better.

my hubby has lost 8 lbs,, hes settling in to the new food in the house I think, isn't complaining at the moment at least. Last night we had cheddar potato Soup,, (made with lowfat cheddar and skim milk) and grilled cheese sandwhices. First bread in more then a month, ate it really slow and chewed it to mush. Feels good to eat semi normal food again, and not that much of it makes it even better. I'm not hungry but know when I have to eat because the gas pains start up again. 1/2 cup of cheerios for Breakfast was good too, still can't believe it is enough!

Once I started solids I stopped losing too. I've been bouncing back and forth between the same 2 lbs for a couple weeks. My Dr. is IMPOSSIBLE to get into without waiting at least a month for an appointment so my first fill is Friday. I'm hoping I'll get at least a tiny bit of restriction. Right now I can eat just as normal as I used to. I freaked out once because I forgot to chew and swallowed this huge bite, nothing happened. I don't get stuck or anything. Hang in there! You'll start losing again!

Are you keeping a record of what you are eating (writing it down) and recording the calories to know how much you are really eating. I have been keeping under 1000 calories and have lost 10 lbs since the band was installed. It has not been the easiest but I really want this to work. commitment

Sorry if that sound rough, its not meant to be....