Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been having trouble with my birth control pills lately and my doctor gave me some information on the Mirena IUD. I was reading the information and I noticed that it said that it is for women who have already had a child. I haven't had any children so I am a little confused as to why my doctor would suggest it if it is only for women who have already had a baby. Does anyone use this who hasn't had any children? Also, does it cause a lot of bleeding and cramping?

I had the mirena implanted about 3 weeks prior to my banding.

I also am childfree and my doctor doesn't believe that you must have had a child before she will give you the implant.

The initial cramping lasted a few days.

Make sure to ask your doctor for a lidocane shot prior to the placement so it is less uncomfortable.

I have had occasional cramping that is similar to that of when I'm menstruating. I also spot more frequently now, but haven't had a full period since the implant.

I really like it and it's one of the best options if you aren't looking to get pregnant. I was so over doing the pill, and my husband didn't like the feel of the nuva ring.

Thanks! I also don't want any children and I don't think I ever will. My husband has said that he would get a vasectomy, but I hate to do something so permanent and then change my mind in a few years. (I don't think I will, I have never had a desire to have any kids, but you never know). If I did decide to have any, it would still be a few years because I want to finish my nursing degree first. The high dose pills make me sick and I have been on the low dose ones for awhile, but I have been having a lot of bleeding. So my doctor suggested it today. I tried the nuva ring before, but I didn't like it. I could feel it and I was always scared it would come out somehow. Did you have any problems with your periods after having it? A girl I work with had it before and she said she had a lot of heavy bleeding. But I'm not sure how long she used it.

Did your insurance cover Mirena? That's another thing I would have to find out before I decide.

Hi Carrie, I have 2 friends that have a Mirena IUD. One has no children, and does not plan on having any anytime soon (if ever). My other friend has kids, she loves her mirena, she says she hasn't had a period in years. I don't know for sure, but I think if your insurance covers birth control pills it would cover mirena as well. Good luck!

My insurance totally covered everything except my co-pay.

I really haven't had a full on period since I got it in October 2008, but I do have sporadic spotting, and only need to use pantyliners.

There is some sporadic cramping, but I use tylenol to help.

I did have some funky emotional hormonal feelings for the first week or so while getting used to the estrogen, but overall I'm really happy I have it. If your insurance covers it, totally do it.

I have the Mirena IUD and it's been over 4 years. I LOVE it. I haven't had an actual period this whole time. I have some spotting every few months that a pantyliner takes care of.....but it's no period. No side effects either. Wonderful. I've had children, but that's been almost 20years.

Thanks! If I have any more trouble with bleeding from my pill, and if my insurance will cover it, I am definitely going to look into it. It sounds great.

hi im 29 and have 2 children. 6 weeks after delivering my second i got mirena and i absolutly love it.. i do not have to worry about a period and my insurance covered everything except $20 copay.. it was def. cheaper for me than the pill... i would reccomend it to everyone!!!

i have the paraguard (copper) IUD because i wanted to avoid hormones, and i love it.. i haven't had children, had it placed when i was 22, 4 years ago, and haven't had any problems. there was some bad contractions/cramping pain at insertion, but i've always had my normal periods and don't have to worry about the weird effects of hormones -- i always had such bad reactions to the hormones in the pill, depo, etc. my best health decision, after my band surgery!

s

I've had it for about 2 years, love it for all the reasons already mentioned. I had a hard time with bc pills also. This has given me no problems. My girlfriend has no children, got the mirena, I think the initial cramping might be more difficult perhaps if you've never had children. I had no issues with cramping but my girlfriend who has never had children had what's already been described above. I do love it - do it if you can!

Everyone here seems to love it, but I just read a lot of reviews from other women who say it is terrible. Some say it is like the Depo shot, which was really horrible for me. So now I really don't know what to do!

I have had my Mirena for almost three years now and I absolutely love it!!! I do have two kids and did not get it for birth control but for excessively heavy bleeding during my periods.

Since getting it placed, I have only had occasional spotting that lasts maybe a day and a half. No side effects at all. There was some mild cramping upon insertion but other than that, nothing else.

I know everyone is different but I would highly recommend it to anyone who is thinking about. :frown:

I also have an IUD, I got the paragaurd also because it lasts for 10 years, whereas the Mirena is only good for 5. The Mirena has hormones, like bc pills, that help to almost stop periods all together, where the paragaurd does not. You have one every month, mine are heavier than before I had one. They are both totally reversible at any time, but the Mirena may take a little longer to get pregnant once removed because of the hormones it contains. I felt absolutely nothing during insertion. No cramping, no pain, nothing. My doctor kept saying you might feel this now, it might hurt a little here coming up, etc, but I felt nothing. Quick and painless, took less than 10 minutes to insert. I had it done right after I had my second child. I'm only 32, so I knew I would have a long time to go before menopause, and didn't want to have a new one every 5 years.

Remember, everyone reacts differently!

Here's my experience:

Copper IUD--normal, set the clock by it, cycle with painful cramping; got pregnant after 3 1/2 years (surprised, but couldn't be happier)

Mirena--bled for 6 months, then nothing for the last 7 years excepts spotting about 2-3 times per year

Meredith