Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Susan* revision from band to sleeve

I do believe the sleeve surgery is 9500 and the revision from band to sleeve is 12,500.00. I am pretty sure that is correct. that is what they told me when I scheduled my surgery.

I recommend vitalady.com for ordering samples. You may still like what you like now, but sometimes the surgery changes our tastes at first. I don't know if it's the same for a revision. Maybe WASa can weigh in since she's been there.

I just liked having samples around so

All "unflavored" does have a taste but some of them are pretty mild and the food you put them in does hide it for the most part. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the same of my favorite so now I can't find it again! I am going through everything I ordered and ordering another sample so I can figure it out.

I ordered a ton of samples from VitaLady.com. You can get samples from Syntrax too.

I ordered a lot of unflavored stuff and added it to my broth.

I also bought Isopure from GNC. They are not to everyone's taste but they saved my butt -- 40 g of Protein and 20 oz. of Fluid in one!

That is true, I'm not a big fan of the flavors but when you need a clear Protein they are really it. To me they don't taste all THAT bad, but if there was something better I'd go for the latter. Alas, there isn't anything else, so I just drink up.

I've had both! ;o)

I'd never get another band. My suggestion to you is this, find five people that have been banded 10 years or longer and IF you can find 5 people ask them how they like their band. We hear about all these people that have been banded 20 some years...where are they?

I've been posting on WLS boards regularly for over 2 years and I've not found one. I know of one person that's had it for 7 years and she loves it. The "oldest" banded oldtimer person I have come across has had it for 9 years and she was PMing me with questions on a revision. :lunch:(

In my heart I do not believe bands will last for more than a few years in most people. It is the hardest procedure to lose weight, it has the slowest weight loss, the lowest weight loss, re ops are up to 30-50% within the first five years. Per Inamed people typically have lost 55-60% of their "excess" weight at the 5 year mark. Those are not great stats.

If you are good to go with restriction alone, the sleeve is great.

You're awesome! Thanks for all your knowledge on this subject. I really am still going to try to get the most out of my band while I have it. However, I will hope one day that I can save up enough for a revision. I can already see it on the horizon and I'm only a year out.

I do believe the sleeve surgery is 9500 and the revision from band to sleeve is 12,500.00. I am pretty sure that is correct. that is what they told me when I scheduled my surgery.

Thank you Daisy for this info, I was about to ask this too. Now, one more question - is this US prices or does anyone have any other prices available that are less than?

Edited by Oregondaisy

Those are the prices for Dr. Aceves. I don't think anyone in the US is any lower. Dr. Aceves is a fabulous doctor and the hospital he practices at is like a 5 star hotel. I have several friends that have gone to him and have nothing but good things to say.

There is no one cheaper who isn't a butcher. Well, there may be people who aren't butchers who are a hundred or two cheaper or more expensive. But if you see a sleeve being offered for, say, $7000, there is always a catch.

There is no one cheaper who isn't a butcher. Well, there may be people who aren't butchers who are a hundred or two cheaper or more expensive. But if you see a sleeve being offered for, say, $7000, there is always a catch.

The creepy places that charge very low fees do it by working out of clinics, doing major surgery and then they send you to a hotel for recovery. It's just not a bright way to have surgery in Mexico or the US. None of the good doctors in the US send you to a hotel for recovery after a sleeve. I think it is something like 80% of leaks happen within the first 48 hours. If you are going to have a leak you don't want to be in the middle of MX in a hotel somewhere. You need to be in a hospital.

I couldn't imagine having surgery and being sent to a hotel to recover. I want to be in a hospital, where there is 24/7 nursing care available and more intense care available if needed.

Mac, thanks for the recommendations. Like Daisy, my main concern is the Clear liquids stage. I am going to get all of my stuff ordered when I get home tonight. I can't believe that at this time in two weeks, I will be on the plane!!

Edited by Oregondaisy

I couldn't imagine having surgery and being sent to a hotel to recover. I want to be in a hospital, where there is 24/7 nursing care available and more intense care available if needed.

Mac, thanks for the recommendations. Like Daisy, my main concern is the Clear Liquids stage. I am going to get all of my stuff ordered when I get home tonight. I can't believe that at this time in two weeks, I will be on the plane!!

Because of your band problems are you on clear liquids the week before surgery or full? Is it before or after surgery that you are concerned about clears? If it is after surgery I swear to you, it's not a big deal. You aren't going to be able to get 64oz of Fluid down daily. You won't want it and you won't be able to do it right away. With all the swelling you'll only be able to sip anyway and you have to sip allll day long just to get half the fluids in at first.

The hard part in the beginning isn't that you are on clears, the hard part is that you will think you are going nuts sipping all day. Two sips and you are full.

As the swelling goes down you can sip a little faster and by the end of the 10 days you can finally get 64oz of fluids in. It's not like banding at all.

If it is the week before surgery... Susan, you are banded! You are used to liquids. ;o)

Edited by Oregondaisy

Thanks, WASa. I am full liquids the week before surgery because of my band problems. Dr. Aceves wants to make sure there isn't any swelling or other complications. I am not concerned about it. Like you said, have done that many times before. I was just worried about the clear liquid stage, but it doesn't sound like I have to worry much there either. I will get busy and order some Protein supplements though.

Susan, Will you let me know what you order and how you like it? I would prefer not to have to order from several places, and recommendations from other people will help me avoid ordering junk I will be stuck with and not like.

I'm so glad that I found this thread! I will be following your journey closely. I just found out that I have slipped for the second time and will probably get the sleeve. My doc offered to fix the slip but 2 lapbands is enough for me. I'm sick of all the problems. I have followed the rules and still having problems. Life doesn't seem fair sometimes. It's reassuring to get in touch with others who are going down the same path. That is what I really appreciated about lapband talk from the beginning. A feeling of community. Anyway, I'm wishing the best. I believe I'll be a few weeks after you.

I'm so glad that I found this thread! I will be following your journey closely. I just found out that I have slipped for the second time and will probably get the sleeve. My doc offered to fix the slip but 2 lapbands is enough for me. I'm sick of all the problems. I have followed the rules and still having problems. Life doesn't seem fair sometimes. It's reassuring to get in touch with others who are going down the same path. That is what I really appreciated about lapband talk from the beginning. A feeling of community. Anyway, I'm wishing the best. I believe I'll be a few weeks after you.

Hi Karey...

I just responded to your PM with a novel. ;o) I'm sorry about your slip, it seems to happen a lot. :ohmy:(

Get a sleeve, it's wonderful. If you are good to go with restriction only a sleeve is fantastic. Since you are at goal you obviously do well with restriction alone. I think from what you have told me that you will like the sleeve. It is 1000000x easier than banding!

Karey, I hope you get a revision soon. It would be nice to have someone having surgery close to when I am so we can compare notes on how we are feeling, how we are doing with the post op diet, etc.

Oregondaisy: I believe it will be about the same time as your scheduled for.

My ob doc said that one of her patients had 3 lapbands and is in a class action law suit against the makers of the band because of nausea and problems with the band. Has anyone heard of this? I tried to google it and find out more information, but didn't get far.

Hi Susan,

I just revised from band to sleeve with Dr Aceves on the 11th of March. Still on the liquid post op diet at this point, but I feel wonderful. To me, it was easier recovering from the sleeve post op than the band. The most wonderful thing is.....no hunger. With the band, I was ALWAYS hungry. I know I am brand new with my sleeve, but since I had my band for 2 years and 3 months I don't feel like a newbie. You will love Dr Aceves, he or Dr Campos will be checking on you constantly. No worries.