Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*Susan* revision from band to sleeve

I just don't understand why insurance companies don't make wls a standard covered procedure. It seems like, in the long run, it could literally save them thousands upon thousands of dollars based on all the potential health problems it will help prevent.

Things are moving along well for me. I get more excited every day. I am nervous, but I have a great deal of confidence in Dr. Aceves and his abilities.

That sleeve emmi... I've seen it. Do you know that emmi is made by Inamed? Not sure if you realized it or not but it's not very accurate. There is a great deal of inaccurate information in there but if you notice, it's really pushing the band.

It talks about how if you overeat the stomach will stretch and I forget what else was in there. It's been so long ago since I watched it that I don't remember all the details. But it is made by Inamed and they did a pretty bad job with it. It makes being sleeved sound like it's sooo dangerous compared to easy simple banding. Bah!

I don't get the insurance industry either. I've wondered if the reason they don't pay for WLS is because the most popular procedure is bypass and it's so expensive to maintain those folks after surgery. The complications, the bowel obstructions, bone loss, revisions, Vitamin issues, six month labs for the rest of their lives, etc. I wouldn't want to pay for that either. They still consider the sleeve experimental even though it isn't. I think they know that we'll pay for it ourselves if we have to.

I'm so glad you are getting the sleeve, the quality of your life will improve drastically! I know how hard life is when the band is causing problems. It affects every aspect of your life. Social situations, family outings, employment setting, the works.

That is interesting that Inamed did the video. They did mention the band a few times and were very heavy on the risks side of the sleeve and how it was "permanent". What is wrong with permanent? I don't anticipate ever waking up one morning and thinking, "darn, I wish I wouldn't have had that sleeve because I sure would like to be fat again".

I had no idea how much was involved with bypass, glad I have never even considered going that route. I guess I can understand why insurance won't cover it, but the rest of them, not so much.

I can't wait to start living life again. Now, everyday I get up and wonder, am I going to be able to eat today, will it be a liquids only day, will I embarass myself at lunch with the girls, etc. That is not a way to live.

Susan, I just wanted to quickly say Congratulations! I'm hoping for a quick and safe surgery for you. I'm sure you will do awesome from here on.

Whoot!

Good luck Susan! I just got the ball rolling on my RNY and am crossing my fingers for approval in every respect. I thought of you as I flew into JAX last week, nice airport. Anyway good luck and I'll be reading your postings even though we're doing different surgeries, Nancy:thumbup:

Nancy, I didn't realize you had definitely decided on another surgery. I know you mentioned your daughter had RNY. I hope it all works out for you.

Irene, thanks for the well wishes!

Does anyone one know if blue Cross Shield hmo would approve someone for sleve due to no weight loss?

That is interesting that Inamed did the video. They did mention the band a few times and were very heavy on the risks side of the sleeve and how it was "permanent". What is wrong with permanent? I don't anticipate ever waking up one morning and thinking, "darn, I wish I wouldn't have had that sleeve because I sure would like to be fat again".

I had no idea how much was involved with bypass, glad I have never even considered going that route. I guess I can understand why insurance won't cover it, but the rest of them, not so much.

I can't wait to start living life again. Now, everyday I get up and wonder, am I going to be able to eat today, will it be a liquids only day, will I embarass myself at lunch with the girls, etc. That is not a way to live.

HAHA! I've thought the same thing. If you go on a diet and lose weight do you WANT reversible? What's so great about having the ability to eat a ton of food again? However, in your case I am sure you just want to eat food period. Life is pretty good when you aren't sliming all the time!

I have this theory, I think the reason noobs want reversible is because we have failed at every other weight loss method and in the backs of their minds WLS is just another shot at something that will fail.

Tweety:

Does anyone one know if blue Cross Shield hmo would approve someone for sleve due to no weight loss?

It depends on your individual policy. Does it cover WLS? Does it cover one surgery in a lifetime? Does it cover revisions? Under what circumstances? Has it been at least two years since your banding? Do you have proof of diet and exercise efforts such as a medically supervised diet AFTER banding? A gym membership with proof that you went? Does it only cover mechanical defects like a leak or faulty band? BC/BS has a ton of various policies.

Susan,

After going through all the emotional issues I had dealing with my lap band and it's removal and after putting back 20 lbs I decided my quality of life was definitely suffering and I met with my surgeon's office today to get it rolling and am crossing my fingers that it will happen! Take care Nancy.:thumbup:

Nancy, I truly hope this works out for you.

Today, I went and saw my band doctor for the final time. He made sure that all the Fluid was removed out of my band. I was very pleased to find that he was extremely supportive of my decision. He agrees that I obviously have a band intolerance and other issues with it. He said he feels the sleeve is the obvious and best next step for me and said he hopes everything goes well for me.

That's fantastic, Susan.

Today, I went and saw my band doctor for the final time. He made sure that all the Fluid was removed out of my band. I was very pleased to find that he was extremely supportive of my decision. He agrees that I obviously have a band intolerance and other issues with it. He said he feels the sleeve is the obvious and best next step for me and said he hopes everything goes well for me.

I agree w/M. You are lucky, you have a WLS surgeon that gets it. Not many US docs support someone going to MX. He clearly cares about you a great deal.

All I want is for you to have a normal life and eat like a normal person and be able to eat in an average social situation.

Amazing how this surgery affords you weight loss AND a normal life.

I can't express to you how much I KNOW what you are going through and how much your life will change for the better. It's just one of those things that you have to experience before you can truly get it.

In a few months you'll be singing my own praises... when you get your life back you can't help but to encourage others to do the same.

You'll see. When YOU see the light at the end of the tunnel you'll do just about anything for someone in the same boat.

Susan, I am sincerely happy for you. Life will change in ways you never dreamed of.

You'll see!

He sounds like a wonderful doctor. It's getting closer! :confused:

I am glad that I will have somebody close to my surgery date. Even though we will be a month apart, in the end, a month will seem like nothing.

I will cheer you on during your liquid phase. If you're anything like me, support during the liquid stage is important. Even though I don't expect to be hungry, I

will more than likely still be thinking about food.

Good luck on your revision.

I have to note that you are having your band removed on the three year anniversary that you had it installed, same as me (installed 6/2005, deinstalled 6/2008.) Maybe there's something to the 3 year mark.

Thanks for the support everyone. I am really looking forward to leading a normal life again. I am getting more excited every day!

Denise, we definitely need to help one another through this. I remember how tough the liquid stage was when I got my band. I didn't cheat, but I got pretty darn cranky towards the end. But, I know it will all be worth it.

So, what does everyone do for the Clear Liquids stage? I am looking for suggestions, as I am beginning to stock up on my supplies now.