Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing gears and looking for advice - lots of questions

I was banded in April, 2008 and have had three fills. I have lost about 135 lbs and have 45 to55 lbs left to go before I am down to around 130 lbs (my goal). I’m very proud of myself for what I consider an overwhelming success so far with this band, but I have a few questions about completing the weightless process and maintenance afterwards:

Question 1)

In recent weeks, I’ve begun eating more food. It’s nothing major and I’m not concerned that I’m going to begin gaining weight at this time, but it is a noticeable difference. I’d say where as I was at around 900-1200 calories per day about two months ago, now I’m at around 1200 – 1500 a day. I do exercise regularly and am working to maintain a fairly healthy diet. But I’m wondering if I should go ahead and schedule for a fill.

There’re some things to take into consideration in regards to determining whether or not I should get this fill. First, I’ve dropped 100 lbs since my last fill and have reason to believe that if I get another fill, a time will come when I will have to have a slight unfill because I am afraid I may just continue to lose weight until it becomes unhealthy. Second, my surgeon has this wonderful little assembly-line thing going in his office. If I call for an appointment today, it’ll take at least a month to get the fill done. This is important to me because I am still very much addicted to food and am concerned about what impact being able to eat a substantial amount of food for an entire month would have on my weight loss goals.

So the question is – Should I call my doc and schedule a fill? I’m leaning towards no right now, but I’d really like open, second opinions. At least one member of my family has been telling me quite frequently these past few weeks that I need a fill. She’s only 18 and is trying to be helpful, but honestly, I still can’t eat half what she can eat.

Question 2)

Once I reach my weight-loss goal, what do I do? I’ve never had to maintain a weight before- I always just watched it go up and up. Is there a trick to it? Do I weigh myself every day? I’m very interested in knowing what people generally do to maintain their weight.

Question 3)

Will this double chin ever go away? I have a neck now, and shoulder blades, and beautiful slender wrists and ankles, but I still have a small double chin. It’s not very prominent, especially considering how I looked prior to the weight loss, but will it go away? Will it be one of the last things to disappear? Do a lot of bandsters have to have a face lift after weight loss? I’m 27 years old but I’m worried that I’m beginning to look older. Don’t get me wrong- I’m INSANELY happy about how well I’ve done and how beautiful I am now, but I am curious.

Question 4)

Are there any solutions to flabby skin other than plastic surgery? Reasonably, I don’t intend to get rid of the extra skin right now and will probably have some surgery done- a boob job definitively (these babies are all out of whack) and maybe an arm lift and thigh lift. I’m not worried about my stomach because no one ever sees it anyway. But until I become rich or save up enough money (we’re talking a few years), is there anything I can do to minimize the extra skin?

Question 4)

Anyone have any advice at all about reaching my goal? About life after goal? I’m open to all suggestions!

:) <-- isn't that cute?

do you have any pictures

You know, there was a time in my life when I would have refused to let anyone see a picture of me ever. That said, I don't have any recent pictures of me. I'll see if I can't upload some today though :)

Hi Kossde, Glad to hear things have been going well for you, sounds like you've been working hard and enjoying the ride.

Regarding your fill question: although you mention your increase in calorie intake, you didn't say anything about your quality of restriction. Does your band feel looser than it did? Are you able to swallow foods which you weren't able to before, like bread? For me, that's the surest sign of lessened restriction, and the prime indication that I need a fill. No one outside of your own body can tell you.

I understand your fear of becoming unhealthily thin, but, if I understand correctly, you still have 45-55 pounds to lose before you confront that issue. Since it takes a month to get an appointment anyway (I know the feeling - it takes two months for me to get an appointment), why not schedule one? What do they say: "a bird in the hand... "

As far as maintainance goes, I'm just reaching that point myself - I'm 2.24 pounds from my goal of a 136 pound weight loss since having been banded in November of 2007. We'll find all the answers together. Good luck!

Edited by bandpal

I say schedule a fill and if you don't need it cancel two days before hand. At least you have it on the books.

Also, with losing 100 pounds your inner organs get smaller too so the restriction is less tight on your stomach. You may be looser.

Your daughter needs to keep her well intentioned thoughts to herself. As a friend of mine often said, "What I eat you don't poo, so don't worry about what's on my plate."

Lastly, you realize that your loose skin has weight to it. So you may not see that goal number without surgery to remove it. Don't give up your dream of that number but be realistic that the skin has mass therefore weight and it will contribute to what you see on the scale, regardless of how little fat you actually have on your body.

You're doing so well! Congratulations.

Question 1)

In recent weeks, I’ve begun eating more food. It’s nothing major and I’m not concerned that I’m going to begin gaining weight at this time, but it is a noticeable difference.

So the question is – Should I call my doc and schedule a fill?

IF you gain a pound and you feel you are having a hard time following the rules your doc gave you- call for a fill.

Question 2)

Once I reach my weight-loss goal, what do I do?

Celebrate! Weigh yourself at intervals as you may continue to lose weight and might need to get adjustments to prevent weightloss. And if you see your weight start to climb, you can take action.

Question 3)

Will this double chin ever go away?

It may, but you may have to have a procedure. Mine was the last thing to go away.

Question 4)

Are there any solutions to flabby skin other than plastic surgery?

Yes, time can help. I was complaining of loose skin when I hit goal but my doctor advised me to wait 1 year before I do any procedures...he was right- my skin is great! Thank goodness I listened.

Congrats!

I'd say see how you go weight wise for a while. I've personally found this incredibly difficult to get my head around but I DONT NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT.

I'm up to about 2000 calories a day and not gainign weight. I panick on a daily basis about how much food I eat, but really, the band did not change how my body functions, I"m 5ft 10, 150 lb and I exercise an hour a day - and by that I mean a good solid hour's run or circuit training with a 700 - 800 calorie burn. So really, 2000 calories is not unreasonable. It just seems so MUCH for a bandster. But gradually over time, its becoming normal and I realise my body can handle it, but this takes TIME. My advice would be dont fill till you start to gain (if you ever do).

To stop trying to lose weight when that's been your whole life is not an easy process. To accept that you're OK and not to continue to try to change yourself is incredibly hard. It's taken me a good 18 months and its been harder than the weight loss.

In answer to your other questions, yes the double chin will probably stay - you've lost weight, not become perfect. You will have problem spots and faults just like anyone else. Its connect with needing to be always on a self improvement project - stop trying to lose wieght, start obsessing with plastic surgery. Its the best reason I can think of for waiting the recommended 2 years - if you dont you can easily have five procedures in that time that you may later regret. Of course PS is much needed by many, I'm talking about obsessing about your double chin, getting that done, deciding you need a face lift, getting that done, thinking your boobs arent quite right, so many people just cant stop!

And sadly, flabby skin is a fact of life after large weight loss that even PS cant completely rectify. Its better than being huge, and the world would be pretty boring if we all looked like supermodels. Believe it or not, people dont really see it, you have an overall aura or presence that people find attractive and people just dont focus on your flab like you do.

Cut yourself some slack and give yourself some time, you'll get there eventually.

Edited by Jachut

Hi Kossde,

I have a similar post, but I am 2 years out!

You have done great! Congratulations on your weight loss.

I say just ask from a tiny fill. I am going to do the same thing.

Do you still PB if you over-eat? I still PB sometimes at night, but I know I can still eat more than usual without getting to that point, and that is why I am going to schedule a tiny fill.

I have come to the conclusion that the last 1/3 of our weight loss really needs a lot of extra work on our part.

It's almost as if we have to gear up and almost start all over again.

Do you mind telling me your age? That has a lot to do with my decision to NOT have a Tummy Tuck. At 54 I am not going to be sitting on the beach with a bikini on.

I did have a breast reduction last June and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the results.

Just give it time. It will all come together.

This is a great post. Thanks for posing this. I will be watching the answers you receive. :mad2:

All the advice on here is really good. I'm excited about how much weight I've lost and how well I am doing but I'm the kind of person who likes to plan ahead.

I appreciate all the advice on here and I think I've decided to hold off on getting another fill. I forgot to mention in the previous post that I actually have a small history with my doctor of crying wolf. For the longest time after this last fill, everytime I could eat 'too much', I'd immediately call my doctor and schedule a fill. it took me forever to realize that just because I could eat a bit of baked potato, that didn't mean I needed a fill.

That said, to answer some of the questions on here- I'll start by saying that I'm 27 years old and while I don't intend to ever really wear a bikini, I also don't really want to look too saggy before my time.

I've PBed 3 times since I got the lapband and all three were due to me not following lapband rules.

I still do have restriction but not as much as I did right after my last fill and can probably eat about a cup of food at a time right now depending on what it is (baked potatoes go right through so I dont eat too many of those)

I haven't regretted even one decision I've made in regards to this surgery and the way it's changed my life. Even if I don't lose any more weight than I already have, things are SO much better now than they used to be. I think I'm going to just keep trucking on for now and if a time comes when I start to gain weight or lose control, I'll do what I have to :thumbup:

Gosh Kossde,

You are young! I say go for that bikini.

I draw the line showing my bod in public at 54!

LOL. I don't think I've ever really been a bikini person, but if I look good in one, I won't have a problem wearing one :thumbup:

Hey just a quick update - I am now down 145 lbs- in the last month, my double chin has begun to seriously disappear. My cheeks are kind of deflated and I look older than I am, but I am working on my Vitamin and Water intake and am hopeful for good results. All in all, I'm incredibly happy with the results!