Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Lucky Losers" (March 2009 banders)

I was banded March 12, 2009.

By Dr. Teng in Las Vegas. I did not lose anything on my one week pre-op diet and I am down 16 lbs since the surgery.

I walk daily but for the last day I have been very under the weather so even getting out of bed is a challenge.

My goal is to lose 100 lbs in the next year, I am 6' tall and weighed 289 at the start of all of this. My highest weight was 350 and I lost that on my own down to 200lbs 5 years ago, over the course of those 5 years I put back on 90 lbs so making sure that I keep this off permanently is my goal.

Good luck to everyone !

Wow Shanya - for you to have lost that much on your own is remarkable. What determination you have! I think the band will help us keep it off. I'm glad to hear you are doing well overall - sorry to hear you are under the weather. I am feeling so much better after about day 8-9. The pain in my side/stomach is subsiding so much and it feels great to be able to bend and stretch back to normal.

How are you doing with eating? Are you on full liquids still? How are you coping with that? I'm struggling and a little frustrating I've not lost much at all since surgery. I know what I'm eating so I know it has to happen - my body just wants to hang on to it a little longer than most I guess. :smile:

it's nice to see that everyone is doing so well. my surgery is in 5 days (march 25th).

the pre-surgery diet is going okay. i'm on Optifast. lost about 7 lbs in 8 days. i'm on my way !!!!

:thumbup:

Congrats Thinnerme! You'll be there in no time. :smile: I wish you all the luck and a fast recovery! Keep us informed on how its going!!

Congrats Thinnerme! You'll be there in no time. :crying: I wish you all the luck and a fast recovery! Keep us informed on how its going!!

Will do ! Hope all is well with you !

Hi - I'm from the Dallas area and was banded on March 5. I have my first follow-up doctor's appointment tomorrow and expect they may suggest a fill since I don't currently have any restriction when eating. I had to do a 7 day liquid fast prior to the surgery and spent the last 2 weeks on liquids/soft foods. I have now started adding in some 'regular' foods and trying to keep it minimal. Good luck to everyone - I hope we all get great results!!

let us know how the appointment goes dburk and good luck to you too! I was banded march 9th and am supposed to still be on solids but I'm eating Soups and cottage cheese and similar. I'm tolerating it fine - no problems so far. I'm so concerned about stretching the pouch and ruining future success as a result. I'm eating between 900-1200 calories and have been stuck now with no loss for almost 9 days. I'm increasing Water, decreasing sodium, and trying to increase protien. Next step is exercising. hopefully I will see some change - it physically has to come off if I'm only consuming this low of calories - right?? So frustrating!

Yes - it IS frustrating. I have lost about 14 pounds (including the pre-op liquid diet week), but no loss for this week. I'm also consuming approximately 1000-1200 daily calories. That seems like such a little but I'm still worried it is too much since I've not lost weight in a week. I hope to begin exercising this week and that should help a bit too. I'm still slightly sore and have an itchy rash around the incisions. I haven't been working out because of this - it itches tremendously when I get hot. I think it has nearly disappeared so I plan to try again to work out when it is gone! Surely the weight loss will pick up if/when I get a fill and when I start exercising more.....

Thanks for the response - it's good to have others to 'talk' to and ask questions!

Hey guys, so today I want in for my 3 week post op & I'm happy to say I've officially been cleared to mushies!! The scale in the office says I'm down 5lbs. which is great. I told the nutritionist about my crazy hunger pains & she says it's the norm. Once my calories increase along with the cardio I'm doing I will continue to lose.( I hope!) Anyways I wish everyone a great week.

The best and most absorbable Protein is whey Protein ISOLATE. It comes in an unflavored/unsweetened powder, so you don’t have to worry about sugar and it can be added to ANYTHING solid or liquid. I keep a 2-5 pounder in my fringe at all times (Remember, you will need 60 grams of protein daily post-op for the rest of your life!). It’s a great way to get a dose of protein whenever you need it, especially when you get tired of eating the same protein sources day after day.

Here are a few places to purchase whey PROTEIN ISOLATE.

http://www.vitacost.com/JarrowFormulas100NaturalWheyProtein

http://nutrabio.com/Products/whey_protein_concentrate.htm

http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=americasvitaminstore&query=Whey%20protein%20isolate&.autodone=nsearch.html

Best wishes!

Hieveryone; I'm from OHIO, and my surgery is Friday March 27, 2009 @7:30 a.m., I am on a 7 day liquid diet, I have not done any Protein shakes what are some good ones?

which part of ohio? i'm near cleveland.

let us know how the appointment goes dburk and good luck to you too! I was banded march 9th and am supposed to still be on solids but I'm eating Soups and cottage cheese and similar. I'm tolerating it fine - no problems so far. I'm so concerned about stretching the pouch and ruining future success as a result. I'm eating between 900-1200 calories and have been stuck now with no loss for almost 9 days. I'm increasing Water, decreasing sodium, and trying to increase protien. Next step is exercising. hopefully I will see some change - it physically has to come off if I'm only consuming this low of calories - right?? So frustrating!

i think you forgot what year it is, hee hee: **2008 MARCH LUCKY LOSERS

Hi Everyone -

Glad to hear everyone is doing well following surgery and for those with surgery dates coming up soon, I know you are excited!

I am down 7 pounds since my surgery date. One woman who had surgery the same day I did was up a few pounds. Remember, this time after surgery is not for weight loss, but for healing. If you are able to lose a few pounds that is a bonus, but really this time is to get everything to heal well so we can make good use of our band before long.

Like many of you I have only been able to get in 500-900 calories a day as I have just had no appetite. Yesterday was the first day I got in 1000 calories. I was able to start pureed foods last Friday and I go to soft foods this Friday. That has helped me get more Protein in and increase my calories somewhat. Our bodies have been through a lot. Although the surgery is laparoscopic, there were major changes made. In addition, we are in starvation mode at this point and for some our bodies hang onto every little bit until things return to a more normal state. The weight will eventually come off, we just have to ride out this period between surgery and when we start getting fills.

Don't mean to sound like such a cheerleader. I just have to keep reminding myself of this so I don't compare how I have done to others. How our bodies react is truly individual, but if we follow the rules and are patient the results will show.

i think you forgot what year it is, hee hee: **2008 MARCH LUCKY LOSERS

Ha!! I sure did! thanks for pointing that out to me, I would have never noticed!! :huh2:

Hi All, I was banded on the 5th, been on liquids since. I'm hoping to move to mushies this week at my 3 week appt. I'm leaving Sat. for a 5 week assignment in India:ohmy:, so will be looking for some encouragement from abroad. I will be on mushies, soft foods, and transitional foods while away. I should be good with eggs and yogurt for Breakfast, and plan to bring instant oatmeal and Protein Drinks for lunch, but will be struggling for dinner.:huh2: Any ideas are welcome.

Wow - India! what do you do for a living?

I would suggest some pkged instant mashed potatoes that you only need to add Water to. And what about bringing some canned refried Beans for Protein? India has a lot of potato dishes - so that might be good. Best of luck to you!! I also bought some of those super whey 42g protein bullets - and they weren't bad at all. you could pack some of those too!