Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Doctor I Saw Last Night Was An Idiot!

Hey there,

I've read up on the prodeedure and went to a lap-band siminar last night, but the doctor wasn't that big of a help & seemed to flip through the slide shows like the place was on fire. And he's supposed to be one of the better doctors in Kansas City, MO. (Where I live)

I really just need people to talk to and give me info on how the surgery went, any complications, how long before getting back to normal activity, etc.

If you can fill me in a bit, I'd be most grateful. I hope to meet some new, friendly people on here that are going through the same thing as me.

~BabyBluez1982:confused:

I went in for the surgery at 7 AM and was back at home by 11 AM the same day. It was as close to a non-event as 'real' surgery can get. They made four small incisions (about an inch wide or less) and one larger incision (about two inches wide) on my stomach. All incisions were glued - no stitches. The impression I was given was that the larger incision was needed to bring in the lap band. They woke me up almost immediately after the surgery and injected me with quite a bit of morphine. They made me drink this vile white liquid while standing in front of an x-ray thingy to confirm the lapband placement and sent me home.

Once I was home, I slept. When I woke up, I began walking, moving around as the doctor instructed. I never had to take the pain medicine they gave me. I was able to work after the initial three or four days of recuperation although it would have been faster if I’d listened to my doctor and drank my protein! I may never forgive myself for thinking, “I don’t need protein.” It took me about two weeks to adjust to the band. It was like I had to learn to burp again, everything was different. My stomach felt bloated and I couldn’t figure out how to get the gas out of it. I think it was just swelling from the surgery. Once that went away, I felt completely normal. The incisions themselves never really caused me any grief except I couldn’t take a bath for like 6 weeks!

Surgery rules were as follows:

- 1 week clear liquid pre-op diet (protein shakes are allowed even though they aren’t clear liquids)

- 2 weeks post op diet – same as initial pre-op diet followed by 2 weeks of ‘mushies’ like mashed potatoes. I actually took Wendy’s chili and put it in a blender and poured it over mashed potatoes- that was GOOD! Then regular food consumption can begin, assuming you are able to eat.

- No swimming or baths for 6 weeks post-surgery due to the possibility of infecting the incisions. Showers are OK

- No peeling the glue away from your incisions because it’s rubbing against your shirt (I learned that one on my own- was REALLY gross but kind of cool – I’ll spare the details)

- No heavy lifting for 6 weeks post-op

- GET YOUR FILLS!!! I can’t stress this enough. How many people forget to get fills and spend years wondering why they aren’t losing weight? We may never know.

- Don’t eat until you make yourself sick. This will be easier than you think. If you follow the instructions, chew slowly, take SMALL bites, you will know when you are done eating.

I'm curious which seminar you went to - and I think I can guess. Regardless, I recommend making a list of all your questions and going for a consultation. Or go to another seminar. There are lots of great surgeons in KC!

My surgery was a breeze, I was working within days of the surgery. I am a mom so i had no real down time.

Make sure your doctor has a good aftercare program.

Good luck.