Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery experience (had my surgery 2 days ago)

Hey everyone,

Today is day 2 post-op and I wanted to give everyone the scoop. I went to the Surgery Center at 8:00 Wednesday morning for my surgery. When I got there, I had to change out of my clothes and put all of my personal belongings into a locker. After that, I went to my "bed" and they got me all prepped. I had to drink a shot of nastiness to neutralize the acid in my stomach... YUMMY! A few minutes later, the nurse ran my IV. The first thing she put in my IV was something to dry out my salivary glands. Now THAT was interesting. Imagine the worst case of cotton mouth after a night of HARD CORE partying... it's worse than that! After I got the "cotton mouth" treatment, the surgeon and the anesthesiologist came to talk to me. After their round, the nurse gave me the sedation medicine and I was GOOOOOFYYYYYYY! I was wheeled into the OR soon after that, and what I remember there went quickly. Strapped my arms down, laid some instruments across my belly, then they put a gas mask on my face. The anesthesiologist told me that I was going to breathe some "fresh air" and that it would smell sweet.... NOT really. More like sour, but hey, after only a few short breaths of that, I was COMATOSE! The procedure lasted about an hour. I was awoken in the recovery area, and felt alot of pain... unexpected pain. I had a laparoscopic procedure before, but not nearly as invasive. This came as a surprise to say the least. They kept pumping me with different types of pain meds, but nothing was working. I got up and walked around some, but still the pain would not let up. Finally, I asked to be unhooked from the IV so that I could just go home and lay in my own bed. The nurse obliged. I came home and depended HIGHLY on my liquid Lortab. The day of surgery, night of surgery, and day after... Lortab was my bff! But this morning was the magical morning. I woke up and realized that I hadn't taken Lortab ALL NIGHT! I was SO happy. I was not in pain either. And I could BREATHE deeply without it hurting me. I'm able to move around MUCH better today. My stomach is no longer paralyzed from the Lortab, so I'm hearing all the regular "tummy noises" again. My surgeon visited me Wednesday, Yesterday, and Today at my house. He's a wonderful surgeon and I HIGHLY recommend him to anyone considering this surgery. I just got out of the shower and I am feeling somewhat normal again. As far as my weight, I've already lost 12.4 pounds!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!:(

Who did your surgery? You did not have revision surgery just straight to sleeve?

I am having revision and have heard that it's more painful from removing the port. Your post scared me cause I am a baby when it comes to pain!

My Surgeon is Dr. Thomas Borland. This was just the VSG, not a revision. And I am sorry that I did not explain the pain better... but the pain was more in my back than in my abdomen. The only pain in the abdomen was the area where the retractor was. That pain was not bad. But the pain in my back was horrid. But the reason for the pain in my back is because I had an accident several years ago and did a good bit of damage to my spine. Now, when I lay flat on my back, it hurts alot. And the day of surgery I had to lay flat on my back for several hours. So needless to say, I was taking the Lortab more for my bad back than I was for the surgery site. I'm sorry that I scared you. I just didn't want to come on here and say "oh it's a piece of cake, no pain at all" lol. I want to prepare people as best I can and being that it was just day 2, and my mind was still cloudy from the Lortab, I left that important information out... sorry hun.:)

Thanks. I had absolutely no pain when I had my band surgery, but I am expecting pain of some sort with the revision. Luckily, I am not against saying "bring on those pain meds" I will take anything they offer for pain and complain loudly if it does not work.

I am having my revision surgery done in Mexico by

Dr. Alberto Aceves. He did my friend's sleeve surgery

and had nothing but wonderful things to say about him

and the hospital that he works out of.

I also have another friend who has gotten to know him quite well and I really trust her judgment. He really has

one of the best and most experience with band to sleeve

revision surgeries.

I feel like I am headed for a revision. I am looking at Aceves also. How much (ballpark) is it with him?

I am having a barium swallow with upper GI to check on the band tomorrow. I just have this feeling that there is something not right. I am three years out which would make it about time for something to go wrong (it seems!).

12,500 for a band to sleeve revision. Frankly, I would not trust anyone else. He is doing revision surgeries like crazy and you need someone who has done a lot of sleeves. It's not one of those surgeries where it would be okay to have a surgeon who does not have a lot of experience.

Edited by Oregondaisy

Hi everyone, i really need your help, don't know which to get band ot sleeve. Have surgery appt for band on 3/30 but having doughts since i've been hearing good things about the sleeve

Hi everyone, i really need your help, don't know which to get band ot sleeve. Have surgery appt for band on 3/30 but having doughts since i've been hearing good things about the sleeve

I would get the sleeve if I were you. The band is a pain in the you know what. The fills are annoying. You have to keep going back to get them until you have restricion.

Then you may have restriction, but all of a sudden you are too tight and can't swallow your own spit. Then you need an unfill.

The sleeve is done and then you don't have to go back for fills unfills and worry about slips or erosion or any of the other possible band problems. I would have gottten a sleeve if I had known about it, when I got my band.

In my heart I could never suggest the band to anyone except a failed bypass person. Their anatomy seems to work better with a band.

Per Inamed people are keeping off about 55-60% of their excess weight at five years. Those are not great stats. Combine that with the 30-50% of people that have to have a reoperation before their first 5 years are up to fix ports, slips, remove the band due to erosion, etc., you'll have to figure in those costs as well.

The sleeve has slightly more surgical risk but long term the potential risks and complications are 1/10th what they are with a band. The weight loss with a sleeve is better, it's faster, no aftercare, no maintenance, few long term risks, it's easier (I've had both, I know heh...) to lose weight, it's just 100x better all the way around.

My surgeon does Sleeves too and i know he's done a lot of revision surgery too, but i think that it's mainly for people who had gastric bypass and regained their weight. I don't know about the statistics for lap band success, but i feel that with whatever surgery you have, you're going to do fine if you follow the rules! You can fail with anything or probably succeed with anything. I have the band and i am very happy. I'd considered a Gastric bypass initially but my family was far from supportive. Anyway if you want to go to California instead of Mexico, Dr. Owens does Sleeves and Revisions, but i don't know the price. he's at Coastal Center for Obesity, Gastric Bypass and Lapband Weight Loss Surgery in Los Angeles and Orange County, California

Some people are very happy with their bands. Then all of a sudden they are not anymore! Band problems can start out of the blue.

I don't know anyone who has had the band for say like 10 years, that isn't having problems.

Some people are very happy with their bands. Then all of a sudden they are not anymore! Band problems can start out of the blue.

I don't know anyone who has had the band for say like 10 years, that isn't having problems.

Sadly, I've never been able to find and contact anyone who has HAD a band for 10 years. :smile:(