Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I get a friend to hide my scale for me?

I swore to myself I would only weigh once a week but there it is every morning calling to me. After two weeks, it finally says I lost .5 pounds which puts me at 15.5 and into a new ten - you know like from 240 to the 230s. However, I just know if I weigh tomorrow it will say I gained it back.

How often do you guys weigh yourself? How do you stop the urge? I am definitely addicted to my scale!

Did you measure everything before surgery? I wish my doctor's office would have done that for us. The only thing I measured was my waist. I had this big plan to measure everything and take pictures and then time got away from me and I figured - who cares - this is for me. Now I feel kind of selfish because I like seeing everyone else's progress and hearing how many inches they lost.

Do it if you think it will help. It works for me. I finally measured myself last night. Since I didn't have a loss this week, I decided it might be a good idea to start looking for other indicators of success. Good luck with the scale!

It's not too late to measure yourself. I don't know when you were banded, but I only took measurements after I was banded.

I also weigh myself everyday. The first rule of doing that is NOT to beat yourself up over a 1 or 2lb variance in weight from day to day. Just as long as it's not MORE than a 1 or 2 lb variance. And if it is, use it to spur you on to eating better and exercising so you get back on track faster.

I couldn't do without my scale, I'm afraid. :)

The scale thing is big today! I posted and I think you are third to do so today, it must be Mon. I thought of this about an hour ago, the need to weigh is in connection with progress, and the need to see it. When I turned my head for about the fifth time to not look at it, the thought came to mind. I started my pre-op today and it is for 2 weeks. I went to workout, just some treadmill time and a little bike. My thought was to burn off the 180 cals. in the Breakfast drink. I have pre-admission tests tomorrow so I won't get the gym. I will struggle in the morning to NOT get on the scale. I promised I would hold out until Fri. but I think we all know I won't make it!

My now ex took the batteries out of the scale--apparently he knew I'd be too lazy to go buy a new one--they take some special kind, so I wasn't about to go get a new one! My nutritionist really encouraged me to stop weighing myself. I must have walked by my scale 10-15 times a day and stepped on it EVERY time. I know it's compulsive and unhealthy. More importantly, it was very defeating. I went to a gym where they took measurements. These proved invaluable when I was struggling at the scale. I would absolutely encourage you to measure, no matter what point you're at in your weight loss. I do one arm, a thigh, waist, hips, and bust. This is what helped me through my frustrating times when the scale wouldn't budge.....

Stay on the program your surgeon gave you. Don't let the scale be your judge and jury. If you eat properly, drink your fluids, and make sure you move regularly, then you should be ok. Keep up the good work! :)

I love this! It is soo true.I too was having a horrible addiction to my scale.I've been weighing every day & even sometimes mutiple times in one day.Finally today I said enough! I weighed,wrote it on the calendar and threw the scale under the sink.I'm not weighing until next monday.I cant take the ups & downs anymore!! I feel much better about it now!:w00t:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't stop looking at the scale. I'm weighing myself like ... basically every time I go to the bathroom. Or I'm bored. Or I just wanna make sure I didn't imagine losing that 1lb. I need to stop and make one day of the week when I weigh my self ... I think that would be the healthiest. Do you think it's best to weigh yourself right when you wake up? Or once you go to the bathroom? Or before bed?

I used to weigh myself any chance I got, but the novelty of that did wear off after a while. I only weigh once a day now, first thing in the morning, when I wake up and after I go to the loo.

Yes, daily weighing is not unhealthy if you look at it the right way. I use it to make sure the fluctuations are not more than 1-2lb and to spur me on - if I'm up I'm careful, If I'm down that gives me extra motivation, If I'm the same, well that's great since I'm maintaining.

I think if you're getting on the scale seriously expecting to lose weight every day of the journey then yes, hide the scale. Because that isnt EVER going to happen and nor is losing weight every single week.

I figure with daily weighing, I always knew i hadnt lost that week - rather than the big blow when you expect a number after 7 days of hard work and you dont see it.

I also weigh every day. I think that it is a good indicator on how you are doing and will help you spot the way certain foods affect you. I havent been beating myself up for not losing everyday.

I used to weigh every time I went in to the bathroom, but now, I only weigh in the morning after the potty.

Weighing in can be very depressing. I just had to get rid of my scales 2wks ago. I asked a friend to keep them for me and I haven't weighed myself in 2wks. I'm weighing in tomorrow.

I weigh myself every day. My primary doctor actual recommends it. There was a study done by Notre Dame showing that it's not a bad thing.

I weigh myself almost every day.

HOWEVER, I do not recommend this for people who may get into a addiction/cycle.

The scale does not define me. I sometimes forgot to weigh in and don't have the compusion re-weigh.

I weigh myself every morning (pre-shower, post-loo, as someone so nicely put it earlier)! I find it helpful to take stock of how I'm doing every day so that if I'm ever veering off path, I can get right back on it!

One thing I do that helps me keep an even keel is that I consider my weight to be the lowest recent weight. So, if I'm down to 204.2 tomorrow, but bounce up a bit before I hit 203, I don't get too bent out of shape about it.

Also, I took my measurements before surgery and updated them for the first time on January 26th (I posted stats on my blog). I was really happy that I did it b/c it's another way to measure my progress.

Catherine