Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scheduled for Lap surgery in March and have my NUT appt next week, so presumably some/most of my questions can be answered then....but I'm anxious...and excited to have joined this forum! So, here goes; thanks in advance!!

1. Caffeine - Is it a requirement to avoid caffeine short and long term?

2. Barium - What is this that I've heard horrid things about??

3. C-Section - How does recovery from Lap compare to a C-section?

4. Surgery - My doc markets that they can get you in and out in 84 minutes....did I misunderstand? Most "best cases" that I've heard are arrive at 9, leave by 2. What is realistic?

5. Work - How much time off do most people plan for with an office job?

Thanks again!!

Caffeine Depends on your surgeon. My nutritionist said NO and I adhered for a bit but then during my 1 week post op appt, thought to ask WHY? She said it can increase your appetite. Well, for some it has the opposite effect, for me it does neither, so since that was the reason it was banned I figured it doesn't apply to me. I still have coffee in the mornings and iced tea in the evening, but I make sure to get my Water in.

Barium is a liquid made opaque by the metallic element barium...you swallow it and it presents a CONTRAST so that things show up on x-ray. It isn't delicious but it isn't bad....it's just thick and chalky. Nothing to worry about.

3. C-Section - How does recovery from Lap compare to a C-section? No clue never had one.

4. Surgery - My doc markets that they can get you in and out in 84 minutes....did I misunderstand? Most "best cases" that I've heard are arrive at 9, leave by 2. What is realistic?

Honestly I'd worry a little about a surgeon who brags s/he can get you in and out in 84 minutes. It may be possible, and if he's just talking about your time in the OR, then it's likely. If he means door to door (in and out and headed back to home) then I'd say he can't provide good care. It takes some people almost that long to really wake up after anesthesia, let alone have time for preop stuff, and the surgery itself.

Depends on what you do and how rigorous it is. I'm a student and recovered fast and had no issues and was back in class in 4 days. (surgery friday AM, class next tues. afternoon). I was really glad I didn't have any classes the next day, though.

Thanks again!!

I hope you can tell I answered your questions ...up there in the "blue" area. :tt2: I'm really worried about your surgeon...i hope they just meant 84 minutes for the surgery itself (it usually takes 45 min to an hour)

Edited by RestlessMonkey

Hi! Congrats on starting your journey. Here are my answers to the above questions:

1. Caffeine - Caffeine can cause a loss in Fluid and can lead to dehydration. This is why I was told to avoid it initially. If you are getting proper hydration, the caffeine is not a big deal. It can also cause spikes in blood sugar and cause cravings, but my doc said the biggest issue is the dehydration.

2. Barium - I have heard that barium is chalky, but for me it was like drinking pancake Syrup that was sweeter and left an awful taste in my mouth for a while. I was expecting to be gagging from the taste, but I think it's talked up a lot more than it really should be. It's gross, and I wouldn't want to drink it willingly ever again, but it's not quite what some make it out to be. It's tolerable, but look out...45 minutes later and that stuff went straight through me and it was almost a photo finish trying to get to the bathroom.

3. C-section - I don't have any children, but I'm going to have to say it's not as painful. I think it's probably closer to a gallbladder removal since a C-section is way more involved.

4. 84 Minutes - I am truly hoping this is operating room to recovery time. Otherwise, yikes! I know it took about 15 minutes before any cutting was done, then about 40 minutes later I was being bandaged...so 84 minutes would be good for an O.R. estimate.

5. Time Off - It was suggested that office workers take a week off. I would think 4 days would be a bare minimum.

Hope this helps, and very best wishes on your journey!

1. Caffeine - Is it a requirement to avoid caffeine short and long term? My doctor does not want us to have caffeine products. However, I drink coffee every morning. I will never give up my java in the morning.:tt2: My doctor is aware I drink coffee.< /span>

It is a very thick solution you drink while being x-rayed. It is tolerable. Not the best, but it is tolerable. And the cool thing is you can see your insides projected on the tele as you drink the solution and are being s-rayed. Plus, it gets you that much closer to your surgery.

3. C-Section - How does recovery from Lap compare to a C-section? Recovery from my two c-sections was harder, because I was up every two to three hours taking care of my baby. Rest eluded me, which made it more challenging to recover. The c-setion incision was quite larger as a bikini cut. The Band surgery lap-scopic only took me 7 days to feel better. And I was able to get lots of rest, as there were no babies to tend too

Not sure about this, as I stayed in the hospital for 2.5 days. However, if you don't feel well or need extra time to recover, then let your doctor know. It should not be about how many minutes it takes, but how well the procedure goes.

5. Work - How much time off do most people plan for with an office job? I have an office desk job and I took two weeks off. Part of that was because I wanted me time. I cannot recall the last time I ever took a two-week vacation, so that is what I did and it was great!!!! However, I did feel better on day 7. I was sore, but was driving, cleaning house and shopping on day 7-post-op.

Good luck!:thumbup:

First of all- calm down! It is as simple as the following:

I went to a group of Bariatric surgeoins well in know in Westchester County , New York. This is how my surgery went-doctor procedure requirements vary;

I couldnt have solid foods 3 days prior-just broth, liquids, coffee, clear Soups, etc. No dairy products 2 days before. The said I could have 1/2 cup coffee if I HAD to. They gave me a pill to alleviate nausea from the anesthetic and then went into surgery after they ask all their questions about allergies, what surgery you are having, who's picking you up and so forth. They bring you into operting room, put IV in your arm, and anesthesia. You dont even realize you;re getting sleepy and 10 seconds you're out cold. Surgey takes 45 mins to 1 hour. You wake up and feel like your chest has something on it. They ask you to cough with a pillow over your stomach to test your lungs, give you that thing to breathe into with the ball in it to expand your lungs, check your vitals and then wheel you to recovery. I stayed in recovery until my sister was able to pick me up, so I relaxed for a while. But they want to keep you in recovery for at least 3 hours. They gave me a couple of 1 oz cups of Water, thats all. You will be VERY dry and they limit the Water. The heaviness in your chest goes away . I didnt have to dao an Barium. I went in for surgery at 9am and went home at 5pm. Take a pillow for the ride home-seatlbelt might bother you. They dont stitch you up, you get whats called Steri-strips. These are underneath the gauze whic falls off in about 3-4 days by itself. the steri-strips leave alone. Let them fall off also or until doc tells you to. You will feel gas pains like you never imagined. I thought my back was breaking. I had gas pains in my back, neck, and arm. You have to get up and walk around very soon after surgery to alleviate that and to prevent blood clots. I felt great. Take your painkillers whether you need to or not-they will help you sleep. You cant cleep on your side or stomach for about 3 weeks- I couldnt. I went out after about 4 days. I drank water, broths, sugar fee pops, Tomato Soups, and my 1 shake per day. You cant pick up anything heavy-no kids, no pets, no laundry baskets either. Walk around as much as you can. I had surgery on Thursday and went back to work a week from Monday. Bring Chapstick because your lips will be very dry. Good luck !! It so big deal, believe me! I was soscared to go under and I realized I had nothing to worry about. Neither will you.:sneaky:

I'm scheduled for Lap surgery in March and have my NUT appt next week, so presumably some/most of my questions can be answered then....but I'm anxious...and excited to have joined this forum! So, here goes; thanks in advance!!

3. C-Section - How does recovery from Lap compare to a C-section?

Thanks again!!