Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who thinks the liver shrinking diet is a made up torture tool

I am going on an internet search to find out if there is any actual medical articles about a clear liq diet for one week shrinking your liver. I am beginning to suspect that they put you on this diet so that you get used to starving so you don't complain as much after surgery. I am 3 days in and I haven't cheated I may be in a food deprived mania but I don't think you can shrink your liver in a week. If anyone knows of any sites or actual physiologic explanation please let me know. I will post anything I find.

This is one explanation I found. I am not sure about it. I also found a u of cal article saying it's not proven to shrink the liver. I have found a lot of articles saying that the liver being enlarged is a huge issue if you are having a sleeve. I guess it's better safe than sorry but I am still going to look for a better study or proof.

Some surgeons mandate a very restricted diet - one that is low in fat, sugar and carbohydrates - for one week prior to surgery and even if your surgeon doesn't ask you to follow this diet, doing so will increase your chances of your operation being completed laparoscopically because it will shrink your liver down in size. By following a strict diet, your body reduces its glycogen stores (glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscles for energy). With each ounce of glycogen, the body stores 3–4 ounces of Water, so when you follow a very strict diet, especially one that is low in starch and sugar, your body loses its glycogen stores and some water. The liver shrinks as it has less glycogen and water in it. This diet is only recommended for one week before surgery and is not to be followed post–operatively. It is quite possible you lose a lot of weight that week, but it will be mainly be water loss. Please ensure you continue to drink throughout the day.

The liver shrinking diet is designed to do just as it suggests. The liver sits directly on top of where they need to place the band and they have to lift it up and out of the way without nicking anything.

I saw this on Big Medicine. If the liver doesn't shrink, and consequently become less slippery, they can't and won't do the surgery.

Search fatty liver on this site and see if you can find threads where folks were closed up without their band because of their liver. I know it happened to RestlessMonkey because it's in her signature line.

That was motivation enough for me to stick to the diet.

Hang in there, it feels like forever, but its oh so worth it in the long run!

It's not a hoax, it really does shrink your liver.

It may seem like torture, but this will pass and you'll forget how trying that diet was in a short time.

I can tell you it works because...I didn't follow my physician's diet for the 3 weeks he had me on it. I lost 15 pounds but I did a more low cal thing. I came to in recovery without the band because he couldn't place it...my liver was too thick. I 'fessed up to him, I followed his diet PERFECTLY for 2 1/2 weeks, and got the band successfully on try #2.

I don't get any feeling that my doc is punitive or trying to torture me; I hope you were just exaggerating to make it funny. If you really think you're being punished you need to find a new doc or maybe rethink the band, because it will severely restrict what you can eat!

And I don't know about anyone else but I don't get "used to starving". If that worked, I'd be thin as a rail, from all the diets I've been on in the past.

I am on day 4 of liquids, its not that bad. I had to go to family court yesterday and deal with my X, went to wal-mart afterwards. food was staring at me. I have come to the conclusion that if I want this to work I really need to change the way I look at food. I used it for comfort and look where it got me. Whatever the reason for the 7 day liquid diet you can do it. hang in there. feelings aren't facts. this too shall pass.

Thanks for the posts!!! I am following the diet, like I said better safe than sorry. I am soooo glad I don't have to do it for 30 days. I think these first few days are just a tough adjustment. I know I can do it. I should start by turning off the food network.

Thanks for the posts!!! I am following the diet, like I said better safe than sorry. I am soooo glad I don't have to do it for 30 days. I think these first few days are just a tough adjustment. I know I can do it. I should start by turning off the food network.

Funny you say that, I actually watched a lot of the food Network during that time too LOL.

The diet is torture, but it works! Look at it this way...it jump starts your weight loss. I lost 15 lbs on the pre-op diet alone.

My doctor says a week isn't long enough to shrink the liver. He has his patients on a 30-day liver shrinkage diet, but it's not liquids. His is "no bags, boxes, or cans", basically nothing processed. Everything you eat must be fresh and you can't add salt. His main goal is to lower sodium which will make the liver let go of a lot of Water and thereby shrink it. You will definitely loose weight on this too.

Deb

Funny you say that, I actually watched a lot of the food Network during that time too LOL.

So did I :tt2:. People love to torture themselves more than anything! lol

What an appropriate thread for me -I feel like I'm literally in HELL. I am on day 3 of a two-week pre-op Medi-Trim and raw veggies ONLY diet, and it's killer. I hate the shakes, I'm supposed to have 3 totally 750 cals and 230 cals of raw green veggies a day... In the past 2 days I've never gotten more than 1.5 shakes and a bit of veggies down... I feel SO weak and like s**t, but I just have to say... One day at a time, and it'll be worth it.

Angie

Hang in there Angie.

I have 3 days to go and these last days are supposed to be clear liquids.:mad2: I will be keeping busy this weekend to keep my mind off of eating.

It will all be worth it once you see the scale.:sneaky: