Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

okay so i went and got my so called psych evaluation which i have to follow up with my surgeon tomorrow cuz this guy was crazy!! i cant even begin to explain it but i will tell you this...the man said he was going to code my claims as bulemia so my insurance will cover the visits? if i was bulemic would i need the surgery? its insane!! no wonder people like him make insurance rates rocket!!! so he put me on this medicine called topamax...to lose weight...this is a Migraine and seizure medication!!!!! it is an off label for weight loss so he claims!!! im so confused and upset and worried!!! has anyone heard of this medication?

Yes My mother is on topamax for back pain. What I think is that they have discovered that a side affect of this drug is that it suppresses your appetite. Read your pharmacy insert when you get it filled. My personal opinion is that it is sort of an anti-depressant and screws around with your serotonin level. My mama has been on this med for 2 months and has lost 25lbs. It has helped with her back pain tremendously! She is 56 years old and a retired nurse. She had gained alot of weight but now she looks great. It does help that she is 6'0 tall.

Well, here's my take. He was trying to do you a favor by making sure you wouldn't have to pay out of pocket for the psych visit. It may seem odd but he was actually looking out for you.

And LOTS of doctors prescribe meds "off label". This happens A LOT. I just did a quick net search and discovered that there is some controversy over whether Topamax works for weight loss. It is said to control binge eating but I see rebuttals as well. I suggest you do a very extensive search to help make a decision.

Your body is ultimately your responsibility and if you don't feel right about taking it then please don't!! My dr prescribed some anti-nausea stuff after my surgery but it was stuff my sister had taken and she told me her tale of woe and so I chose not to take it. You have the final say about what goes into your body!!

edited to add: Here's an article where it says J&J was doing clinical trials on Topamax for weight loss but they halted the trials.....read on....http://www.injuryboard.com/view.cfm/Article=1236 so now maybe I do question your doctor a little bit......

Yes I was given topamax a little over a year ago. It is a seizure medication but one of the side affects is a suppressed appetite. The doctor was probably getting paid to try new drugs. Anyhow, topamax was driving my crazy. I was totally depressed after taking it for 2 weeks so I stopped taking it immediately.

I would get a second opinion if I were you. I did...My phsyc doctor and I didn't see eye to eye. So I got a second opinion and the other doctor said there was nothing what so ever wrong with me. (I am very thinkful I have great insurance that I don't have to get referrals for any thing.)

Good Luck...just becareful.

I Took This 2 Years Ago For Migraines From My Ptc. I Hated It. I Always Got Very Sick From It (dizzy, Nauseous) And I Was Very Depressed. I Did Lose Weight, But It Wasn't Worth It At All. Get A Second Opinion Because This Can Be A Serious Drug My Pcp Couldn't Believe That I Was Taking It! But, Then Again, Everyone Reacts Differently To Each Drug. And Why Is It That The Psych Docs Are The Ones That Seem Crazy?? Maybe They Hang Around The Wrong People! Haha Good Luck!

I also tried Topamax and it made me soooo sleepy that I could hardly drive a car without feeling like I needed to pull over and sleep. I slept every time I stopped the car. I remember going to Sam's Club to shop, but instead of going right in, I was so sleepy I took a nap in the car and then went in afterwards. I was unable to function on it. My family needed me and I was in La La land. I couldn't tell any weight loss affect, except that I was too sleepy to eat maybe. My friend was on it for a year and had lost about 30lbs. She is still on it and not losing any more. We had the same MD and he sure was not shy about the dosage! I was really worried about her.

He then tried me on a similar drug called Zonagran and I got hives and he was afraid I might have gotten a disease from it called something/johnsons disease. I read about that and it scared the living crap out of me.

I said "NO MORE DRUGS FOR ME!!" I HATE DRUGS!!!

It kinda made me mad that he was so pro drugs with side effects....what did he care, it wasn't gonna hurt his brain and body.

My primary care doctor prescribed Topamax for weight loss about a year or so ago. I think I took it for all of 2 days. It made me feel weird (I can't remember now what the side effect was) -- and it freaked me out to take a drug meant for seizures just in hopes that it would suppress my appetite. If I were you I wouldn't take it -- you have control over what you put in your body, like others have said.

My neuro gave it to me about a year ago. I took it for about 2 weeks and then my family said I needed to get off of in NOW!!! I was so depressed. all I wanted to do is sit around and cry or sleep. I didn't lose weight! (couldn't be so lucky)

My Neuro told me just last week that another of his paitents are taking it and has lost 95lbs. He said he thinks it' from her doing something else but she says she is doing nothing different. (who knows?)

He has tried me on sooooo much medication that is for Parkensons, anti seizures. Trying to help with the pain in my legs. so far nothing has worked. Narcodics are next he says. :)

I was on it for a while, prescribed by my psych. as an anti-depressant w/bonus of weight loss. Didn't work for me for either. I was so desperate (on both counts) I asked to try it again about a year later. Didn't work then either.

my brother in law is on topomax for seizures from epolepsy(spelling)..he also has cerebral paulsy..i never heard of it to lose weight.. he is not skinny either so it hasnt made him lose any weight!!

I have a different concern than everone else, if he lists bulemia as your condition won't that effect the ability to get the band? My surgeon will not band anyone with eating disorders that are not controled for at least 5 years. And the insurance could raise a red flag on the eating disorder too. ~Mandy