Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Closer all the time....but still a ways to go

I stepped on the scale yesterday and am happy to report that I have now lost more than 250 pounds. I am not really sure why I am happy to report that to you all....as nobody knows each other around here really - but it is just something I wanted to say.

Now I have said it - another 60ish pounds I am will be there.... T minus about 5 months and hopefully I am at goal.

I have this to offer folks who might just be starting the journey....for what it is worth....do a before photo. I was so embarrassed about how I looked I didn't have any pictures of myself at all. I am going to look and see what I can find laying around and actually post something.

Carry on - and remember if I can do it - anyone can......believe in yourself and reach for small accomplishments instead of the end result when you know you are on a journey and not a day-trip!

dab

I am new to this journey and your post brought tears to my eyes. I need all the hope I can get, and you just gave me some. I have about 260 lbs. to lose and you make me see that its possible .Keep up the great work and definitely post some pics soon.

Hi Dab - what a fabulous posting! Congratulations on the hard work, please keep posting and put up some pictures - you need to brag and we need the encouragement.

:biggrin: Great job!!! I'm just getting started. I will be banded March 25th... and I have 254 pds to lose to get to my goal weight. You're success is definitely encouragement to me! So proud for you!!!

DAB

I'll tell you why its good for you to post to "us", because WE need to hear that you've done so well.

Some will feel Jealous, I feel optimistic every time I read a post like yours!

Can I ask a favor?

Please post some sample breakfasts lunches and dinners that have helped you along the way. I'm certain something has become a staple for you right?

Breakfast and lunches have become simple for me, its Dinners that I'm finding a bit more difficult

Can you and ANYONE else who wants to post, please post some good dinners that are working for you :-)

Thanks!!

I will be happy to post what my meal intake is - but I am not going to lie and tell you I do things the way I should most of the time.

For Breakfast - I have two Calcium chews and two Vitamin chews from Viactive and 1/2 cup of skim milk. I am full after that and have a cup of coffee or two about half hour later after things settle down. Very occasionally I will supplement it with a Protein such as two pieces of bacon - a cheese stick or a scrambled egg.

For lunch - well - sometimes I am not hungry and on the go and don't eat lunch. When I do I try to make it something sensible. I will get a cheese/brocolli Soup or French onion Soup if at a restaurant if I am trying to stay healthy. If not, I might do clam chowder or an appetizer of mushrooms or cawliflower. I never finish whatever I order - usually eat a few pieces of the appetizer is all or about 3/4 the cup of soup and a couple crackers.

For supper, I like fish. I can eat a normal portion fish fillet without much problem and add with it a couple vegetable bites...maybe a potato bite or two as well.

I also like Mexican. chips and salsa if we go out digests pretty well and I can get a bowl of chili or one ground beef taco.....sometimes 1 1/2 if I take it real slow and don't have any chips and/or salsa.

I can take maybe one to two bites of a steak or chicken breast is all and that equivalent is in about 8 of my sized bites. Throw in the other items that go with that like above and in total - a meal is never....well....VERY SELDOM....equal to 1 cup of food per meal. I am not hungry hardly ever and function well at this intake according to my lab results. The doctor thinks I should push a little more each day as far as calories and occasionally better choices....but if I look at today compared to 17 months ago......I am pretty happy with how healthy I am and my choices......I still need to work on a few things.

My downfall as of late is the late evening stuff. I am occasionally drinking a couple of beers or popping a bag of popcorn or the occasional sweet. I know I shouldn't but I am still losing 7-9 pounds per month with little to no exercise so I am accepting that.

When I started this - I had to have my surgery delayed because my pre-lims showed my blood sugar was sky-high and my blood pressure too high - did I mention I am not one...well, wasn't one, to go to the doctor? I have been in the medical profession for 28 years but didn't take care of myself.

Within 3 months I was off the diabetic medicine and my blood sugar down in the 70's from the 180's to 220's. I was off one blood pressure medicine within 6 months and am now medicine free.....with the exception of the occasional heart burn med from the late night snack or coffee.< /p>

Alright - not sure if this will work or not...you might have to be a member to view from this site - but here is a photo from 2005

post-224289-13813138152965_thumb.jpg

Edited by dab

And a picture from this evening.

The pants in the picture, which I am ashamed to admit, are a 68 waist......I am in a 48 waist now.

post-224289-13813138153368_thumb.jpg

Holey crap that is freaking amazing. You look like you dont even need to lose anymore WOW. You give us hope

Everyday how proud you should feel. I wish that every lapband nay sayer would stumble in here and view your pictures.

I took the time this morning to merge the three together - better for comparison.

As for not needing to lose anymore...well, the only place I really need to lose anymore is in the stomach area as far as concentration of weight. From the rib line up I am pretty happy and from the mid thighs down I am very happy now.

There will be a point where I will have to decide about skin reduction because my "apron" is getting pretty large and the inside of my upper thighs and my underarms from my pit to almost my elbow are all droopy. I don't have a clue if I will do that or how long to even look at waiting to see how much it tightens up with some exercise.

To be honest, the 60 more pounds might not be a reality. I am 6' 9" tall - so I carry it well - and probably will be real happy with anything under 300 at this point. Twenty some more pounds and that is a reality. I would like to see 288 pounds though. At that point, I will have lost 50% of my body weight. I could literally say I am now half the man I used to be.

Thanks for the kind words......with the right attitude and the right tool (lapband for me) anyone can be a success story!

dab

post-224289-13813138153764_thumb.jpg

Wow! Congratulations. Enjoy your new life!

Sue