Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid Reflux and Aspiration

I've been banded for about 15 months and have lost about 55 pounds so far. I'm pleased with my fills (5 so far) and am able to eat small meals slowly without too much difficulty. About 8 months or so after being banded I began having acid reflux for the first time in my life. I began eating my last meal earlier, nothing after around 7pm, then began taking a walk after eating my last meal in the evening, and finally added some acid controlling medication in the evening. That does seem to help somewhat, but over time the acid seems to be getting much worse. Over the past two months or so, I have begun aspirating in the night once or twice a week. I wake up choking horribly and in much pain. I have searched on the web for information on this, and other than the fact that it seems to be somewhat common in post-banding, I don't see much about what can be done. Today I have tried some apple cider vinegar (according to what I read, 2 tblsp twice a day helps some people tremendously), and will give that a shot for a few days to see if there is improvement, but if the aspiration doesn't improve soon I fear I will have to have the band unfilled, which would be a huge disappointment. This is such a serious medical complication that I don't want to take any risks with it. Anyone else having this problem, and if so, what did you do to seek improvement?

I don't have problems with acid reflux now, but pre-banding I did. I have used apple cider vinegar and it worked for me. It tastes AWFUL :rolleyes: but it did help me. If you continue to have problems you should contact your doctor and possibly have your band checked. Good luck.

psalm 20, I recommend you call your doctor as soon as possible. I would not continue to look for home remedies at this point, especially inlight of your night time wake up calls will the acid-reflux.

Don't take the chance of self-treating or seeking this forum for a diagnosis. Please just call your doctor so that you both can determine together what is really occurring.

Best regards!

Call you doctor.............probably just a tiny unfil will do the trick. I had HORRIBLE aspirations/reflux pre banding and it is nothing to play around with. Acid will cause irritation to your esophogus which can lead to esophageal cancers on down the road. I know exactly what you mean with waking up choking. My episodes were very intense and painful......you feel like you can't get air and are literally dying.

I think you just need a small amount of unfill in your band.

Let me know how you're doing......I can sooo relate!

i had the same problem. never had acid reflux but about 1 1/2 after banding started having it very bad. i just had a small amount taken out and that has helped a bunch! just a little heads up too, i went to the dr this week with HORRIBLE acid reflux. i mean i felt like i was going to have a heart attack. come to find out i had this strange stomach bug that causes painful acid reflux, gas in the chest and ulcers!! i've been on antibotics for a week and seems to be helping. no more acid refux. (well not as bad) good luck!1

I had the same problem right after my last fill in November. Never had reflux before so it was a suprise to wake up coughing. I checked with my doctor and he gave me some meds that i take daily and that has helped the problem. Some kind of proton pump inhibitor, i think its called.

I had it too. It developed after six months or so of being banded. I hadn't had a fill for months and then I just started having regular night-time reflux issues. I tried over the counter meds, doctor prescribed meds, sleeping on more of a wedge to keep my stomach lower than my esophagus, not eating or drinking after 7PM. These options helped a little.

However, I did find an immediate perfect cure. A slight unfill made it go away completely. I did not even need to have much removed. It is definitely better to watch your diet a little closer than to not be able to sleep without waking up with acid and Fluid in your mouth throughout the night.

Good luck.

:hurray: I am sorry your going through this, but I am so relieved someone else has this same issue. I was banded in July of 2007 and was last filled back the last summer. I have been having lots of problems with acid reflux, and basically indigestion every time I eat any thing. I had acid reflux prior to banding, and was on Prilosec. However since this last fill it has become worse. Last night I woke up after about an hour of sleep aspirating my own spit. It scared the crap out of me! I didn't know what was happening, but I couldn't catch my breath and I was home alone. I got up and after a little bit calmed down and seemed to be ok, just felt like liquid in my throat, a tickle. So I wasn't sure what to do. I laid back down, and fell back asleep, an hour later it happened again! Only this time when I sat up I threw up all this liquid and foam. Again scary! So this time I wasn't about to go back to sleep. I called my Dr on call at midnight, and he said he thought it sounded like my band had become to tight, either because it slipped or some food had become stuck. He said to call the Dr first thing in the morning, and make appointment to have them unfill it a little to see if that helps. But, he said to stay on the couch, or recliner, because laying down can cause the aspiration. So I did that. I am going to the Dr today, to see what he say's. But I didn't know where to look to find out if the band can cause this or if it is just my acid reflux getting worse? I have lost weight real slow and maybe if it has been too tight that would be the reason?

:party:

Thanks for all your replies,

I think I have finally found some posts that address this problem. It has taken me quite a while to learn how to navigate property through this forum, but when I went into the topic about lapband problems and complications and did a search for "aspirating" I came up with several other posts on this subject. Almost all of them indicated that the problem is mostly related to being overfilled. I guess maybe quite a few people had a slight unfill and found relief. I think I'll wait it out for a little longer, though. We just moved from Texas to North Carolina and I can't see my fill doc right away. There are other doctors at Fill Centers, but I went to one of them a month and a half ago and he is not nearly as good as what I'm used to, so won't go back. I have found that if I am extremely diligent about when I stop eating in the evening, and don't drink anything at all for the last two hours before I go to bed, I seem to do okay. I absolutely can not eat any red meat after about 3 in the afternoon, as it stays in the pouch much too long. I expect that as spring gets here and I am once again able to exercise outside, I will begin to lose weight again and will see the band become a bit looser. This is so frustrating, and I definitely don't want to wind up with pneumonia, but I'm going to try taking the extra steps to manage it for now. Jbrommer3, Please post back if you don't mind, and let me know what your doctor says?

Best of luck, Kristine

Edited by psalm20
added other names

I just found this site after a horrible experience this week. I am glad that other people have had this problem. I suffered a bad reflux episode out of nowhere the other night. I continued to try and sleep sitting up only to jump out of bed w/ that terrible reflux flying up my throat and into my mouth at times. I was coughing terribly. By 5 am that morning I was in the hoppital w/ a high fever and shaking, not shivering, uncontrollably. It turned out to be aspiration pneumonia. My regular doctor sent me to my surgeon immediately to have my band loosened. I knew that acid reflux was a side effect, but I didn't know about the aspirating. How ignorant on my part. Be careful everyone. Seek help immediately if this happens.

I've been banded for about 15 months and have lost about 55 pounds so far. I'm pleased with my fills (5 so far) and am able to eat small meals slowly without too much difficulty. About 8 months or so after being banded I began having acid reflux for the first time in my life. I began eating my last meal earlier, nothing after around 7pm, then began taking a walk after eating my last meal in the evening, and finally added some acid controlling medication in the evening. That does seem to help somewhat, but over time the acid seems to be getting much worse. Over the past two months or so, I have begun aspirating in the night once or twice a week. I wake up choking horribly and in much pain. I have searched on the web for information on this, and other than the fact that it seems to be somewhat common in post-banding, I don't see much about what can be done. Today I have tried some apple cider vinegar (according to what I read, 2 tblsp twice a day helps some people tremendously), and will give that a shot for a few days to see if there is improvement, but if the aspiration doesn't improve soon I fear I will have to have the band unfilled, which would be a huge disappointment. This is such a serious medical complication that I don't want to take any risks with it. Anyone else having this problem, and if so, what did you do to seek improvement?

I was having the same problem. I had my surgery 11/07 and have lost 80 lbs. My doctor drained the Fluid from my band last week(band break) andas soon as he did it went away. He refilled it and i have not had anymore problems. He said when you loose alot of weight the poach gets loose and by emptying it the band it lets it readjust. You might ask your dr about this.

just yesterday I had my band evaluated under flouoscopy for the same problem. It was found that I have had the band to tight causing the upper pouch to dilate. For the next 6 wks my band is not filled. this is to allow for the stomach pouch to relax and reduce dilation. will refill in six wks with a little less saline. nervous about this 6 wk period but determined to maintain. don't let it go, have it evaluated for this same problem or for possible slippage.

I just had a .5cc unfill for the first time in 18 months of being banded due to acid reflux that was waking me at night and I had a burning sensation in my throat, etc. Within 24 hrs of that tiny unfill, I felt much better, in 48 hrs, no acid reflux at all.

I am having the same problem aspiration pneumonia. I have been really il off and on for the last eight months. My band isn't even filled. I am scared and don't know what to do. I'm afraid to leave my band in, but also afraid to have it taken out. I also have a large stone in my gall bladder. The doctor is telling me I need it taken out. Doesn't anyone have any information or advice? Would appreciate your help. Thanks

I am SO HAPPY i found this forum!!!!! I am going through the exact same thing of waking up in the night aspirating!! I'm going in for a SLIGHT unfill in three weeks. I so hope this fixes the problem and I don't gain weight as result of the slight unfill.