Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biggest Loser - What is your exercise routine

Hi All,

I was wondering if you all had established an exercise routine yet? If so, what are you doing and how is it working for you?

I heard from someone that the Greatest Loser contestants are able to loose 5 times as much weight in one week doing 2-1 hour intense workout exercise vs. just walking.

I'm getting in my 10,000 steps a day now and will soon be ready to advance my routine. Anyone willing to share their workout routines, thanks in advance!

CSB

I'm not a February bandster, had my band 3 years, but I'll pipe up if that's OK.

I'm really an advocate of starting with what you can handle - physically and mentally and if you can commit to walking regularly and putting some effort into it, well a big pat on the back to you, that's fabulous.

But longer term, those sorts of workouts you see on Biggest Loser DO work. But it takes a while to get fit enough to safely work out like that.

I do now, but I have lost my weight mainly through long, slow cardio - jogging rather than walking though, which I found WAY more effective, simply due to the fact that if i had an hour to spare, I could run much farther than I could work therefore I burnt a lot more calories. It also allowed me to build up to a level of fitness to give me a base for what I do now.

Once a week: - an interval running session of an hour (I use cardio coach, www.cardiocoach.com) to give me a program to follow, its FUN, but super intense.

Three times a week: circuit training: I mix this up. Once might be at home, using a treadmill. I'll run for ten minutes, at the end of that time, I flip the speed down, incline WAY up and use handweights to do reps of various shoulder exercises while I walk. then I hop off and do sets of squats, lunges, step ups, then run a few minutes, then do sets of deadlifts, bent over rows, back extensions, run for a few minutes, then sets of pushups and dips - and so on till I've worked my entire body for about an hour. The next time I do it, I might take my daughter the playground and do it outside - using the playground equipment to do chinups (greatly assisted by my legs, lol), dips, pull ups, etc and run around the 300 metre perimeter, then the third time, I use a 20kg sandbag and a kettlebell - works my body completely differently each time.

Once a week or so - my reward. A nice, gentle 10km run.

And I'd probably do 2 hour long walks with DH, often on a Saturday morning well do the 1000 steps which is a set up steps up a mountain here in Melbourne. Quite a challenging workout.

I do a LOT of exercise! But you know, i dont sepend an inordinate amount of time, all my sessions are about 45 minutes, I just work as hard and intensely as I possibly can during that time.

I would guess I'd easily eat at least TWICE what many bandsters eat, at least 1800 calories a day to maintain my weight. I lost well all the way through on 1500 calories and I wasnt working this intensely, as I said, mostly running.

But this has allowed me to sculpt a body I never thought I'd have and I have no fear of regaining any weight while I do this, and I get to have my band quite loose and eat very normally.

I'd say long slow cardio like jogging and walking does work, it did for me. But I wish I'd really tried interval training and circuit training earlier, I'd have lost weight far more quickly than I did. It really torches the fat, I've seen it quite literally melt off for me apart from those very last stubborn areas.

I have been a big fan of the Biggest Loser this season but I have to point out that they are living in a controlled environment with personal trainers and a controlled eating regiment. With that also said they are working them hard and for several hours a day not just an hour or two a day. Which will make it very hard once they are off the ranch and having to go back to their real lives again. Not so much physically but mentally.

For me I started out with walking. It was a short distance when I started my walking back in October (6 weeks pre-op) and am up to about a mile and a half in 30 minutes time. I walk 6 nights a week and am getting in an additional two times a week at lunch time when at work. I wanted to add in work out videos to help my cardio but it just hasn't worked out yet. When I am ready I will be heading to that next level. For now I am still losing weight and feeling better all the time.

You have to remember every person is different and we are all at different fitness levels. You just have to work at it at what works best for you. Not only physically but what you can and will do with your life style. Best of luck to you!

The only thing "routine" about my workout is time of day I just make sure I get in at least 45 minutes of GOOD cardio in 4-6 times week. Good meaning Im keepin my heartrate around 120 consistantly.

I get bored super easily so I take classes from Zumba, to Hi-Low, to Water aerobics, and on other days I do the elliptical, walk, or do workouts at home (I use OnDemad and do the Biggest Loser Max. DVD)

Bsically I just make sure I keep moving!

Edited by SweetZ
grammer!

So this week I changed my routine up some. On Monday I started doing the "The Biggest Loser: The Workout" DVD workout. They have a 6 week program on there and I am doing the first set with 6 days a week alternating between low impact cardio one day and then body sculpting the next. I am also continuing to do my walks 6 days a week as well. I stopped my lunch time walks and once I am not so sore from doing the DVD workouts then I will bring back the lunch time walks into my day as well.

Hi, i joined a sport club- open 24/7 . try to go for strength training 2 x/week, 2-3 X/week walk an indoor route at work (can do 1 mile in about 15 minutes). I'm not fast but I am getting better!! I want to do more, like swim, but knees and other health issues seem to get in the way. :thumbup: Plan to join a yoga/Pilates group in Feb at the club - for core strength training.

This is really helpful and motivating post, as we all work with a very busy schedule so we don't get the time for our body to rest and stay fit. So its required to get some time to workout to stay fit, more effective and more efficient.

---------------------------

serra

Workout Routines

In Feb My plans were ambitious. Had trouble with schedules but still do the Sports Club and walk (Aerobically) at least 1-2 mile, 4 days /week.

I am trying to do cardio or take a spinning class 5 days a week for 1 hour. heart rate 120:thumbup: