Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many have acid reflux problems?

How many of you experience acid reflux after surgery?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you experience acid reflux after surgery?

• Yes, I am still having problems
    • Yes, but it went away with time
    • No

I didn't have any problems with acid reflux before surgery, but after the second fill I began to have acid reflux and was not able to keep even liquids down. So I had a partial unfill - I was at 7 cc and the doc took out 1.2 cc so I was down to 5.8. Everyting went great for about 4 months, then the acid reflux/GERD started back up again. I took Prilosec and Carafate but the acid reflux kept getting worse, eventually I ended up not being able to keep liquids down again. So I ended up getting more fill removed from my band - 4,5 cc leaving 1.3 cc in the band. The acid reflux stopped immediately. I am have to wait 6-8 weeks per the doc to have my band refilled, but it is nice to eat since for weeks I really didn't eat and then got to the point I couldn't drink.

Janet :)

Janet how are you feeling?

I am now starting to get it (acid reflux) and I decided to treat it myself (for now). About two weeks ago I went to bed right after having a cup of coffee and I woke up with such a burning sensation. Some days its not bad and some days its on fire. That'll teach me to drink coffee (or anything) and go to sleep right away. I need to get back to the band rules.

Hope the prilosec (sp?) helps. If not its to the docs for me.

i had it bad 5 years ago...and really did not have it much since....until now. it is not the feeling i used to have...it is burning between my breast area and little burps....i have had the band since dec 2005 and it just started about a month ago.

i guess it is off to the doc to get a (is it called a barium swallow...i can't remember) i feel like the area between my breasts is on fire!!!

I had problems before my hiatal hernia was repaired. None since surgery.

I use to have it a little before surgery but havent had it not once since surgery. I wish I had known that it was going to go away before I had my perscriptions filled right after surgery. For some reason my insurance didnt pay for the prilosec so I spent 65 dollars for nothing. I took the pills the first couple of days just because but than stopped.

I got my band from Dr. DiMarco too! Maybe nexium would help the heartburn.

Banded: Recently byDr.DiMarco

1st fill 1.5 CC and STILL hungry!

i am scheduled for an endoscopy next month....it is waking me up at night now and it painful.....they put me on protonix (nexium like drug)..i hope it helps.....

everything else is just great... i love my band

I had terrible reflux prior to the band...for years...not ONE incident of reflux or heart burn since the band and haven't taken any meds for it either! Hallelujah!!!

I just started having acid reflux about a month ago. pills didn't help and neither did going on the diet...no results by changing the pills that I take. BUT......I stopped using artificial sweeteners and it has gone away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had an ulcer several years ago and due to taking a lot of Migraine medications, have been taking Prevacid for years.

I've never had ANY reflux problems until my last fill. Now I'm constantly burping and feeling like air's in my esophagus every time I eat. Even in the middle of the night I'll wake up burping.

I have an appointment with my regular doctor on Monday and I'm going to see if there's something I can do. I guess it's not getting to where the Prevacid normally works as it seems to happen before it gets lower.

I wish I could say that my band has fixed this for me, but I still seem to get acid reflux pretty often :) It's weird, b/c it seems to come and go with me, and when it comes, it's fierce. Since I have always had a bad stomach, I have, fortunately, learned to cope a bit... I'm religious about taking my Nexium, and when I'm having a bout, I make sure to sit up and drink milk or eat yogurt.

PS--While my band doc said I could probably stop taking my meds after surgery, my stomach didn't seem to agree, ha ha! As always, remember to listen to your body and try not to push yourself too hard.

I'm wide awake at 1:00 a.m. - 6 days after banding with an attack of gastric reflux !! I was taking Prevacid in the morning and an over the counter at night before the banding, which worked well, but my surgeon said to not take anything at first and see how it goes. From the first day post-op I've had some reflux, but this morning/tonight is the first real 'acid' that's come up. I did take a Pepcid before bed, but I'm taking a second one now so I can get back to sleep. Tomorrow is my first day back to work since surgery - I need my rest.

Maybe my Dr will put me back on Prevacid? I'll phone him tomorrow. I have plenty of them here - just hesitate to take them he doesn't approve.

ok... try to get back to sleep ...

I had reflux for years before banding at age 19 was put on meds 1 week after band my doc said if you dont need it dont take it, I havent taken anything since!