Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: How many have acid reflux problems?

How many of you experience acid reflux after surgery?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you experience acid reflux after surgery?

• Yes, I am still having problems
    • Yes, but it went away with time
    • No

Guest Miranda75

I have never had it before banding now I have it when I eat too much or eat too fast.

I was told I would never have Acid Reflux again after surgery, and havent had it over a month and thank God everyday. Being obese my entire life I have had acid reflux since I was about 4 or 5 years old. I used to puke almost everyday, and even now with my poorer eating (due to Rita) I still am not having any problems except for hiccuping and pain from the bad foods. No more vomiting, yucky throat feeling, sore throats, tummy aches, and/or burping back my food!!! YAY! I think I have PBs on a regular basis (once, again, because of Rita) and Ill tell yall I will take that ANY DAY over acid reflux.

Oh yeah, I am happy to report that I have been off all my meds since 2 days before surgery, and hope to never take any that is not liquid or chewable every again. Well, mainly because I cant, the doctor said not to. I was on SOOO many pills a day due to the fact I have a lot of different disorders that have been so much better since my surgery. No more Welbutrin (well, I might change to another anti, just because I do still have REALLY BAD days), no more Darvecet or any other pain killers for my knees, no more anti-inflammatories (Thank GOD) and NO MORE PRILOSEC!!!!!

docs fixed a hiatal hernia on me also at surgery for banding. Have suffered with acid reflux (not typical symptons though) since 3 weeks after surgery.

This coupled with a feeling of pressure and pain in my neck and shoulder on the left.

Very bothersome.....

yes,terrible.Never had heartburn or reflux before in my life and now have it everyday even though I am taking Nexium and Zantac......nothing helps.....Aloe Vera makes it a lot worse...a lot.....

Eileen,

This poll was a great idea! VERY wise.

I havent checked it in a while and boy, was I shocked to see the results so far.

I wish there was a question that asked, "Since banding, have you experienced reflux but manage to control it with meds and/or changing eating habits/times."

The numbers may be slightly different with this question. (Hindsight is always 20/20!)

Reflux is something that I wish I wouldve been made aware of pre-banding. Wouldnt have changed my decision, but wouldve made me a little more cautious!

Why is it some of us have reflux after banding and never had it before. Today I just read that some meds (Nexium and Prevacid) included cause weight gain.....what's up with all this????

I never had to take meds before but now have to take prevacid and eat tums all day long.

I never had it before surgery. Immediately following surgery, like the next day, I had it terribly bad, it lasted about 2 weeks and then went away. After my first fill I had it for about 3 or 4 days. Now after the 2nd fill I've had it for about 3 weeks, however it is much, much better. I'm expecting to be reflux free within the next week.

I just recently started to have reflux again. I haven't had a fill yet (I go in next week) and I can eat a lot: 3/4 as much as I could before surgery. The doctor and nurses were perplexed that I'm having it all of a sudden. I didn't have any reflux the first 4 weeks after my surgery. I don't understand. The doc said I didn't have any hernias. Could I have an ulcer? Anyone have any ideas?

I'm telling you, paying for the surgery was worth it if JUST to get rid of my terrible acid reflux problem! No more tums for me!

I have not had acid reflux before or after surgery until my 3rd fill. I'm two weeks post fill and have to sleep on two pillows and am doing the Pepcid complete and Tums regimen. At first I thought I needed an unfill since I could barely drink sips of liquids, but have progressed okay. Have had a little real food the last two days, although not until after 2pm in the afternoon. The only thing I am still having trouble with are cold liquids and thick liquids (protein shakes, etc) and mushy things. I can do room temp and regular food in the afternoon and evening. I'm hoping I can get off these two pillows soon!!! Does anyone have any other suggestions? thanks!

I've had reflux on occasion post-banding, which was very unpleasant since I wasn't a sufferer before. It's always been easily fixed, with unfills or behavioral changes. It seems clear to me that lying down with any food or drink still in my pouch is a recipe for reflux, so I just avoid doing it. :rofl:

I never had reflux until this week - after my third fill. I had practically no restriction since surgery (almost 3 months ago) and had lost only the 5# I lost the week of surgery. I had 6 cc in a 10ccVG band after my last fill and had 2cc added - I now have 8cc. What a difference! I know I will start to lose weight now! I finally understand what people are talking about when they talk about pb'ing! I have to be so careful with what and how I eat. I have had acid reflux since the fill. I have to be VERY careful taking the medicines I take!

I don't mind the reflux as I am just so excited to FINALLY feel the restriction I am supposed to feel. I am thinking that I really didn't need the bigger band.

honestly, the main reason my doctor suggested that I get the lap band was for my GERD. I was overweight too, but I have to say, 3 weeks post-op that never in my life have I been able to drink anything Tomato based, and now, it's not a problem at all... if I never lost any weight, the surgery would be well worth it for me! v8 baby! :)