Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled

Hi-

Just scheduled my LB surgery for 8/29 at Morristown Memorial Hospital with Dr. Abkin. Any suggestions/comments/helpful hints would be GREATLY appreciated. I'd also love to hear about your personal experience with Dr Abkin and Morristown Memorial Hospital. Thanks.

~Leslie

Hi Leslie, CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

WOWWWEEE August 29th, thats wonderful. If I am approved I'll be going to Hackensack.

Please keep us posted :)

Hugs & Kisses NJC

Dr. Abkin is wonderful. You will in the pre-op area for about an hour or so, I got so nervous, my mohter was there to talk to me but if she hadn't been I would have gone crazy. Wear loose clothes to go home in. I ws in and out in 6 hours. That includes the 2 hour before surgery time. Take it easy when you get home but make sure that you walk, it was the only thing that relieved the gas pains for me. Good Luck!!!

Hi Leslie,

Here's another very satisfied Abkin patient. :) My surgery was so long ago I really no longer remember the details, but I've been very happy with the aftercare. Come to the support group meetings!! You'll find a great resource of other bandsters, nutritionists, and the nurse practitioner. It's a perfect place to ask questions and share experiences in an informal setting.

Good luck!!

i saw the nutritionist on Friday. The Lap Band diet is sooooo restrictive. Yes, I need to and want to lose weight, but the lifestyle change with the food seems so difficult to do. Anyone have the same thoughts? And no more soda?????? What's a Dr. Pepper addict to do?!?:) what about emotional eating? and cravings? and by the way... I love those little things you guys have posted on your replies with your weight and how much ymore you need to go-how can i put one on my page?

Dr. Abkin is wonderful. You will in the pre-op area for about an hour or so, I got so nervous, my mohter was there to talk to me but if she hadn't been I would have gone crazy. Wear loose clothes to go home in. I ws in and out in 6 hours. That includes the 2 hour before surgery time. Take it easy when you get home but make sure that you walk, it was the only thing that relieved the gas pains for me. Good Luck!!!

How long did it take to get back to work???

Leslie, If Alexandra is happy, you're in good hands. Regarding the food, believe it or not, I was a total Fresca junkie & now I don't miss it. Loosing 54 lbs. is much better than fresca any day! As for the restrictive diet, the band is only a tool. It's not like gastric bypass where food is mal-absorbed & you have to go on major supplements. All most of us take is a good multi-vitamin--chewable or liquid & calcium chews for us women. If you follow the guidelines, you will lose weight. I won't lie to you, I still have the cravings sometimes. But it gets better & better. Sometimes the foods I crave don't go down due to the restriction of the band. (I bought cheese danish for everyone in my office cause I really wanted one--I couldn't even eat 2 bites...and those 2 bites weren't that great anyway).

Hope this helpes somewhat...good luck w/your banding & please keep us posted.

I was back to work in four days.

Well I found out last week that I need breast surgery. My insurance changes Sept. 1st, and Memorial Sloan Kettering does not take my new insurance (Neither does Dr. Abkin), so I am going to get the breast surgery this Thursday, Aug. 25th. ( my babys' 2nd birthday...not that he knows or anything...) Then 4 days later, I go in for the LapBand. To be quite honest, though, I am more afraid of the LapBand surgery than I am the breast surgery.

I went to the Pre-Op class at Dr. Abkin's on the 17th. Linda, the nurse, was so awesome. Talked about the support groups and even mentioned, you, Alexandra! The nutritionist was extremely helpful and then Dr. Puplova came in for a few minutes. (Abkin is doing MY surgery).

So wish me luck, actually wish me double luck...I am going to be feeling like a piece of swiss cheese when these surgeries are all over!lol...:rolleyes: Thanks for all the encouragement from you all!

Good luck and I am so sorry that you have to go through both so close together. You are in good hands with Dr. Abkin and Morristown Memorial is an excellent hospital. I too like the nurse at the orientation class. I haven't made it to the supporet class yet, hopefully this month. Hope to see you there. Good luck and my prayers are with you.

Oh Leslie, I'm am also sorry that you have to have the breast surgery but I am glad that they caught the problem and can fix it. **BIG GENTLE HUGS** Seppi is right, Morristown is an excellent hospital. I always tell my DH, if you can't get me to hackensack hospital than its morristown for sure. You're gonna do wonderful.

I will be praying for you dear lady. Let us know how you are doing when you are feeling up to it.

Hugs!!

Well...the surgery went.... It was ROUGH...I came home the same day (8/29), but needed to take an ambulence ride back due to severe pain and dehydration, after 4 days home. I stayed 5 days at the hospital. I am back home now and feeling better everyday. I even lost 12 pounds!!!:Bunny

PS- My breast surgery went very well with the small lump being benign. :)