Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February '09 bandsters?

Did your surgeon give you amount you need to lose before surgery?

it was my understanding that the pre-op diet was to shrink the liver, and that can happen if you drop weight or not. Also, have you measured yourself? Sometimes inches are a better barometer of what's going on in your body than the number on the scale.

Either way, I know five pounds doesn't sound like too much, but, I always like to think of other things that weigh five pounds, like a half gallon bucket of paint. Those suckers are heavy, and I always feel better when I put one of those down, and that's kind of what you did, you had 5 lbs of weight on you that you just put down and started walking around with out. Not sure if you're a visual person like I am, but when I get discouraged, I always think of something like that to help me realize that 5 lbs is a big amount, so CONGRATS!

I don't have a set amount to lose prior to surgery- the instructions I have indicate the need to shrink the liver, in order to improve access to all the critical bits. The food plan I'm on includes one meal per day (carefully measured, of course) and three Protein shakes. Five shakes on the day before surgery. Fun!

This past weekend was my 'last supper' weekend, and the only crazy I managed to work in was ice cream. That is something I (finally, after a struggle) cut out of my diet last fall, and it had been several months since I'd eaten my fill direct out of the container. That was fun, but not as satisfying as I expected it to be. Big snow storm kept us home and off the roads instead of driving around looking for fast-food, and now the weekend is gone and I have to start the pre-op diet tomorrow. I've stocked up on beading supplies to keep my mind and hands too busy to think about snacking, and will just do the best I can with this next step.

At the moment I am still amazed at the fact that I am finally at this point, after at least a year of going through all the steps and soul-searching. My original date with the surgeon was at the end of this March, so I was in the mind-set of an April band date. A few weeks ago I was offered a January appointment (last week) and now I am two weeks out, instead of three months! I'm still in the process of wrapping my mind around that concept, but feeling excited about the big change I'm going through.

Fortunately, this website is a terrific help! Lots of useful information and great stories to read. Thanks! :scared2:

So Shellyphaunts what is the name of the book, if you don't mind sharing. I would like to order it.....I need all the help I can get......

Hi I'm MMM from the UK, and we do things a bit different here, No pre op tests,(we meet and have the first consultancy the morning of the operation)

No set pre op diet, (just been told to eat a lower fat diet just before the op).

As long as the BMI is over 35 you just book, pay, and go, and the band is fitted, you leave hospital the next day, with a date for your first fill.

You can take your own stiches, or have them taken out for you by a local nurse.

It all seams a lot less fuss but most people have to fund the operation themselves, as the National Health Service (free health care) will only fund very high BMI patients.

So my question is what do you have to do, I might be able to pick up some tips which could help.

My banding date is February 13th, because there is a 6 weeks waiting list from the time of first enquiery.

Feedback would be most welcome .

Love and Hugs MMM

Hi I'm MMM from the UK, and we do things a bit different here, No pre op tests,(we meet and have the first consultancy the morning of the operation)

No set pre op diet, (just been told to eat a lower fat diet just before the op).

As long as the BMI is over 35 you just book, pay, and go, and the band is fitted, you leave hospital the next day, with a date for your first fill.

You can take your own stiches, or have them taken out for you by a local nurse.

It all seams a lot less fuss but most people have to fund the operation themselves, as the National Health Service (free health care) will only fund very high BMI patients.

So my question is what do you have to do, I might be able to pick up some tips which could help.

My banding date is February 13th, because there is a 6 weeks waiting list from the time of first enquiery.

Feedback would be most welcome .

Love and Hugs MMM

Hello MMM,

I think if you learn one thing from reading these posts, it will be that there are a variety of approaches associated with this surgery.

In my area (New England) we must complete many steps before meeting with the surgeon. Going to the general information session was required to start the process; I think I went over a year ago! Since then I have completed the ultrasound of my abdomen, had several sessions with the social worker, met with the nutritionist, and attended a mandatory support group meeting. Last week I met with the surgeon, and am now on my two-week pre op diet before surgery on 02/03.

I don't have some of the other medical issues that require sleep studies, mandatory overnight stay, stress test, etc. My BMI is 41.?, and I do have high blood pressure. I have not been required to lose weight before surgery (just the pre-op diet to shrink the liver), and expect no problems with my insurance.

After surgery there will be follow-up appointments with both the surgeon and the Bariatric Center- to include support groups, fills and check in with the nutritionist. I do feel reassured by the amount of ongoing support that is available to me, because I believe that is likely to be a contributing factor in my success. I'm actually looking forward to going to tomorrow night's group meeting, because I am nervous about the surgery and can work through that with the help of those who have already gone through it. That might not be helpful for everyone, but it will be for me!!

I hope you find this information helpful-

Good luck with your journey!! :wink2:

I'm scheduled for Feb. 2nd! I'm pretty excited and nervous about the whole thing.

I'm on day two of my pre-op diet, and its hard, but not as bad as I thought. Yesterday was the first day and I was off from work, and it wasn't too bad I just distracted myself all day. Now I'm at work and its kind of tough because my co-workers always have Cookies and cake and crappy foods around so I'm just staying in my office with the door closed!

I'm really grateful that this forum exists and there are people out there so willing to share their experiences. It has made everything so much easier for me.

Good luck everyone, I can't wait to hear how you are all doing!

Hello MMM,

I think if you learn one thing from reading these posts, it will be that there are a variety of approaches associated with this surgery.

In my area (New England) we must complete many steps before meeting with the surgeon. Going to the general information session was required to start the process; I think I went over a year ago! Since then I have completed the ultrasound of my abdomen, had several sessions with the social worker, met with the nutritionist, and attended a mandatory support group meeting. Last week I met with the surgeon, and am now on my two-week pre op diet before surgery on 02/03.

I don't have some of the other medical issues that require sleep studies, mandatory overnight stay, stress test, etc. My BMI is 41.?, and I do have high blood pressure. I have not been required to lose weight before surgery (just the pre-op diet to shrink the liver), and expect no problems with my insurance.

After surgery there will be follow-up appointments with both the surgeon and the Bariatric Center- to include support groups, fills and check in with the nutritionist. I do feel reassured by the amount of ongoing support that is available to me, because I believe that is likely to be a contributing factor in my success. I'm actually looking forward to going to tomorrow night's group meeting, because I am nervous about the surgery and can work through that with the help of those who have already gone through it. That might not be helpful for everyone, but it will be for me!!

I hope you find this information helpful-

Good luck with your journey!! :wink2:

Thanks so much for your reply, WOW you go through such a lot, I am impressed that you are so committed, It must be so helpful to have a support group, is it compulsary to attend?

I only started to think about a band in mid Dec, and had a date within two days of agreeing the fee, the delay was only caused because I had to forward by e.mail, my age height and weight. my bmi is 35 and I dont have any other problems, I'm 51 and fit and healthy, I just like to eat the wrong foods.

The surgeon I choose is Dr Chris De Buyrne, and he is based in Brussels, Belgium, so its an hour flight for me.

What do you do in the support groups you attend, and do they have both pre and post op members?

Hi everyone! I found out my surgery date is Feb 12th and I start the Atkins diet Jan 29th...anyone have any good meal plans for the Atkins they may have used please e-mail them to me at army82ndssgwife@aol.com I just want a simple plan tofollow by for the 2 weeks, nothing where I have to buy a ton of different ingredients to have to cook...good luck to everyone!!

Thanks so much for your reply, WOW you go through such a lot, I am impressed that you are so committed, It must be so helpful to have a support group, is it compulsary to attend?

I only started to think about a band in mid Dec, and had a date within two days of agreeing the fee, the delay was only caused because I had to forward by e.mail, my age height and weight. my bmi is 35 and I dont have any other problems, I'm 51 and fit and healthy, I just like to eat the wrong foods.

The surgeon I choose is Dr Chris De Buyrne, and he is based in Brussels, Belgium, so its an hour flight for me.

What do you do in the support groups you attend, and do they have both pre and post op members?

You're right- it has been quite a process!!

And it was delayed a few months due to my own dithering about going through with this or not.... I started the process and then put it on hold while I had second thoughts. More research led me to decide it was worth going through, and so I have, almost. My bmi is between 41 and 42, and high blood pressure came on about two years ago. Other than that I am in pretty good health, but not that fit.

The Bariatric Center in my town really does place an emphasis on learning to live with the band. They want to be confident in my ability to manage that successfully before moving me forward. That seems reasonable to me, especially when I read posts by folks who are struggling because they don't have a good resource for ongoing education and support in place.

My center offers both pre and post surgery groups, specific to either bypass or lapband. Attendance at one pre session is mandatory before moving onto surgery; I believe all the rest are highly recommended, but people cannot be forced to attend. I've only been to the one required session, and it was helpful to hear from folks who were preparing themselves for the band, and those who had weeks and months of living with it. Support people (husbands, friends, family) are also allowed to ask questions along with the patients, and all are relieved to have an understanding audience who are sharing a common experience.

Now I'm officially on day one of the pre-op diet, and the surgeon's office just called to give me a pre-op testing appointment. This afternoon I cleaned out the fridge and went food shopping. Got two different Protein shake options to try, one pre-mixed and one powder, and lots of lean meats and veggies. Not too different from everyday food shopping, really. Just no sweets or treats! :thumbup:

I found out today that I am getting banded on Feb 5th. I can't believe it is coming up so fast. I start the pre op on January 22nd. I think I am more scared of the pre op diet than I am the surgery :thumbup:. I really think it will be worth it though.

Good Luck Feb Bandsters :w00t:

Julie

February 6 is my date! I am so excited. I am ready to get started. I have my pre-band class on Jan 28, and need to schedule a pre-op physical, but everything else is good.

I am just so ready for a change. I am also looking forward to going through this experience with my fellow February 09 bandsters.:thumbup:

Sheila

Hi everyone. I just found this thread. I'm glad I found it. I'm being banded on Feb. 10th. I'm super duper nervous, My husband was banded yesterday and I'm seeing what he is going through. I'm so scared. I start my liquid diet on Monday.

You're right- it has been quite a process!!

And it was delayed a few months due to my own dithering about going through with this or not.... I started the process and then put it on hold while I had second thoughts. More research led me to decide it was worth going through, and so I have, almost. My bmi is between 41 and 42, and high blood pressure came on about two years ago. Other than that I am in pretty good health, but not that fit.

The Bariatric Center in my town really does place an emphasis on learning to live with the band. They want to be confident in my ability to manage that successfully before moving me forward. That seems reasonable to me, especially when I read posts by folks who are struggling because they don't have a good resource for ongoing education and support in place.

My center offers both pre and post surgery groups, specific to either bypass or lapband. Attendance at one pre session is mandatory before moving onto surgery; I believe all the rest are highly recommended, but people cannot be forced to attend. I've only been to the one required session, and it was helpful to hear from folks who were preparing themselves for the band, and those who had weeks and months of living with it. Support people (husbands, friends, family) are also allowed to ask questions along with the patients, and all are relieved to have an understanding audience who are sharing a common experience.

Now I'm officially on day one of the pre-op diet, and the surgeon's office just called to give me a pre-op testing appointment. This afternoon I cleaned out the fridge and went food shopping. Got two different Protein Shake options to try, one pre-mixed and one powder, and lots of lean meats and veggies. Not too different from everyday food shopping, really. Just no sweets or treats! :tongue:

Your pre op diet looks very sensible, and I'll also do the same type of thing I think, just because I have'nt been told to go one one does mean it wont do me good, are you having two shakes a day plus a low fat meal? or is it an unlimited amount as long as its low fat?

I will start on the 1st Feb, which will give me nearly two weeks.

Good luck with starting yours, if your like me the first three days will be the worst, but lets hope we can all stay motivated. What types of shakes are they are they high protien? mmm

Hi everyone. I just found this thread. I'm glad I found it. I'm being banded on Feb. 10th. I'm super duper nervous, My husband was banded yesterday and I'm seeing what he is going through. I'm so scared. I start my liquid diet on Monday.

Welcome Tink, I'm being banded 3 days after you in Belgium, good luck with your liquid diet, I've just been reading through the thread, and have choosen to go on a shakes plus low fat meal, and have'nt been advised to do so but it seams a very sensible option. Give your hubby a big hug, and I hope he is feeling better, How long do you stay in hospital after the op?

hi tink, im also being banded on feb 10th and like you the nearer it gets the more nervous i feel. good luck with with your liquid diet,my doc has put me on a very low fat (0.5gm of fat per 100gm) diet which i started monday im doing ok on it i am missing meat a bit though lol all i have to do is have 1 more blood test on monday and hopefully its all steam ahead then,

Welcome Tink, I'm being banded 3 days after you in Belgium, good luck with your liquid diet, I've just been reading through the thread, and have choosen to go on a shakes plus low fat meal, and have'nt been advised to do so but it seams a very sensible option. Give your hubby a big hug, and I hope he is feeling better, How long do you stay in hospital after the op?

My husband is doing really good. He was in the hospital over night and was home the next day by 1:00.