Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have gas more since lapband?

Do you have gas more since being banded?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have gas more since being banded?

• Yes, alot more
    • Yes, a little more
    • Always had gas and can't tell if it's more
    • No, it's not a problem

I have gas just about everyday now that I've been banded and it's so much worse than before banding. I'm just wondering if this is normal and does anyone know why and who else is having the same issues? My husband is totally disgusted and can't believe this nastiness is coming out of me. What in the world can I do?

It's most likely your different diet, not necessarily the band. What are you eating?

Right now I'm on a fast that animal product restrictive. I've been juicing fruits and vegis, eating brown rice, Beans, vegetables, fruits, wheat or brown rice Pasta, tofu, oatmeal, nuts, soy fruit and nut bars, soy or rice cheese etc... I'm not sure what it could be out of all those things except for beans but I'm not eating those daily.

Right now I'm on a fast that animal product restrictive. I've been juicing fruits and vegis, eating brown rice, Beans, vegetables, fruits, wheat or brown rice Pasta, tofu, oatmeal, nuts, soy fruit and nut bars, soy or rice cheese etc... I'm not sure what it could be out of all those things except for Beans but I'm not eating those daily.

Honestly it's not usually animal products that give you gas; its things like veggies and Fiber. The change in your diet is what has done it...not sure why you're avoiding animal products but you might want to reintroduce them and do the protein/veggie/fruit/THEN pasta/grains thing. Nuts are also a big offender. I don't know what "soy fruit" is but soy really makes me gassy.

On the bright side if you keep on eating that way eventually your body will adapt to it, or so I've heard.

It's a 21 day fast called the "Daniel fast". It's biblically based and only til the 21st of January. Trust me, I can't wait to have a piece of meat.

Honestly it's not usually animal products that give you gas; its things like veggies and Fiber. The change in your diet is what has done it...not sure why you're avoiding animal products but you might want to reintroduce them and do the protein/veggie/fruit/THEN pasta/grains thing. Nuts are also a big offender. I don't know what "soy fruit" is but soy really makes me gassy.

On the bright side if you keep on eating that way eventually your body will adapt to it, or so I've heard.

LOL I have to laugh! I am wondering what Daniel did when his wife had gas? (Hope you don't think I'm being sacrilegious....I just feel your, and your husband's, pain!)

It'll improve. Things like gas-x may help but it doesn't make you not "pass" gas, just makes it easier to pass gas. :)

It makes you wonder. (LOL) By the way, I didn't meat to say soy fruit, I found a soy/oatmeal/fruit/nut bar that was really good.

This too shall pass, no pun intended. :)

LOL I have to laugh! I am wondering what Daniel did when his wife had gas? (Hope you don't think I'm being sacrilegious....I just feel your, and your husband's, pain!)

It'll improve. Things like gas-x may help but it doesn't make you not "pass" gas, just makes it easier to pass gas. :D

Yes, and it is frustrating and painful. I never had it this bad before. I eat the same foods that I ate before surgery (except for salads, I am afraid to try salads yet) and the gas is just really bad.

I am so glad you started this because gas has been the worst part of this experience. I wake up with horrible trapped gas/bloating/rumbling & NOTHING helps it. I have been to doctors & even had a cat scan but nothing shows up so I know it's just gas pressure. I have noticed that it gets better the tighter I am. (I was recently unfilled & working my way back) There is nothing more miserable than NOT being able to get it out either way. Weightbearing exercise, like walking or running, helps.

I had it REALLY bad for the first three or four months but it has gotten a lot better. I still have it more than I did pre-band but it is just a bad day here-and-there.

I am so glad that I am not alone. I am too weeks out and it seems all I do is burp. Not just a normal burp, but one of those that seem to last forever. I ever do this when I drink Water. I guess it is better that the alternative. I would rather burp that have the gas build up. Another question, I have only had two bm since surgery, is this normal? I started soft foods on the 7th, so I figured that things would start to get back to normal. I bought some stool softener hoping that would help, but nothing yet. Any advice?

Constipation seems to be common. There are many ways to deal with it.

Increase Fiber either with Fiber powders or in your diet (unfortunately that will add to the gas problem) :thumbdown:

Use a non-stimulant laxitive (experiment with the dosage until you have a comfortable movement-not too hard or too soft)

Prunes or Dried Apricots are a popular way (I can't tolerate dried apricots though)

Stool Softeners.

I use Mirilax, three days on then three days off.

I do have a lot more gas, but it doesn't seem to be the nasty smelly kind. It's mostly just trapped air. I burp like a sailor now. Not very feminine or attractive. My husband just marvels. Just this past weekend I was on liquids for two days after a fill. After eating solid food again, I bloated up so badly with gas I couldn't even get into my jeans and had to wear my fat pants to a party. I was so bummed. By the next day, I was fine. I acutally easily zipped up my skinny pants with no problem after two days of liquids.... And it's the darndest things that cause me to burp and pass gass. Hubby says I even pass gas in my sleep. How mortifying!!!!

Ok, I was just getting ready to post about gas. I have been having a lot of problems with my eating due to the gas. I've posted before regarding this and more or less was told that its not gas that is causing my problems.

My last dr apointment was right before thanksgiving, and the dr took out .5 cc. I was doing really good and amost no pb'ing for about a month. Then all of a suddent I was pb'ing almost daily. It got soo bad. This last Saturday I couldn't even get down Water. I was scard that the band had slipped. During this week, I lost 1 pound each day. Almost all of my symptoms were similar to a band slip.

So Monday, I went to the Dr. They looked at my band under flouro and it was fine, then she moved the flouro down a bit and you could see the HUGE gas bubble filling up my entire lower stomach. This is the 2nd time we've see this under flouro (last time was 2 months ago).

I do burp a lot when I eat, but I can't tell when gasy. I have been taking extra strength gas-x about 6 pills a day and it would help for a couple hours and then I would start having the same problems again.

The doctor took some of my fill out. I was at 7cc in a 10cc band, which I think is pretty close to my sweet spot. But since I have had soo much problems with the gas, we took out .5 so I have time to recover and get rid of teh gas. Now I can eat almost like I did before being banded.

My doctor says when I have that much gas, the gas is pushing up on the band and the food has no place to go, that's why I can't eat or even get Water down.

So now I have to figure out how to control the gas. I have been reading what types of food causes gas and I really don't eat any of thoes foods. I did find a dietary supplement that is to help stop gas before it starts that I have started taking daily. Also I switched from gas x to mylanta to see if that helps.

I found Mylanta to help me. I'm glad I'm not alone.

Ok, I was just getting ready to post about gas. I have been having a lot of problems with my eating due to the gas. I've posted before regarding this and more or less was told that its not gas that is causing my problems.

My last dr apointment was right before thanksgiving, and the dr took out .5 cc. I was doing really good and amost no pb'ing for about a month. Then all of a suddent I was pb'ing almost daily. It got soo bad. This last Saturday I couldn't even get down Water. I was scard that the band had slipped. During this week, I lost 1 pound each day. Almost all of my symptoms were similar to a band slip.

So Monday, I went to the Dr. They looked at my band under flouro and it was fine, then she moved the flouro down a bit and you could see the HUGE gas bubble filling up my entire lower stomach. This is the 2nd time we've see this under flouro (last time was 2 months ago).

I do burp a lot when I eat, but I can't tell when gasy. I have been taking extra strength gas-x about 6 pills a day and it would help for a couple hours and then I would start having the same problems again.

The doctor took some of my fill out. I was at 7cc in a 10cc band, which I think is pretty close to my sweet spot. But since I have had soo much problems with the gas, we took out .5 so I have time to recover and get rid of teh gas. Now I can eat almost like I did before being banded.

My doctor says when I have that much gas, the gas is pushing up on the band and the food has no place to go, that's why I can't eat or even get Water down.

So now I have to figure out how to control the gas. I have been reading what types of food causes gas and I really don't eat any of thoes foods. I did find a dietary supplement that is to help stop gas before it starts that I have started taking daily. Also I switched from gas x to mylanta to see if that helps.