Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ate a burger two days after surgery

I have to wonder if this post was for real. Think about it. Unless she is super woman with a stomach of steel, she surely would have nearly died after eating that burger two days post op. The gas alone it would have produced would have certainly been dreadful enough to mention in her post. Maybe, but I have my doubts.

I dunno... there was another person on another thread that claimed to have eaten a Taco Bell meximelt in its entirety four days post op and it took her 2 hours to eat it.

Now that I can buy !

Mindy

I dunno... there was another person on another thread that claimed to have eaten a Taco Bell meximelt in its entirety four days post op and it took her 2 hours to eat it.

i was warned about this thread but im bored ...

to the OP...

WTH were you thinking? were you thinking?? i mean really, a burger... TWO days post op???? i dont get it..

to the ones saying 'stop being so mean, she made a mistake'...

guys, there are so many threads started wanting validation for cheating (and i agree, there is cheating and there is CHEATING.. this was the bold, underline, red font cheating... you just.dont.do.it...

and the snarky side of me wants to say - why not go for a juicy steak as well... might as well go for the best...

seriously... it is so dangerous to your band. yes, you might not have slipped anything - yet - but come talk to us 2 to 3 years down the road...

seriously... **shaking head**

Thats sick.

Im just shaking my head in disbelief right now.

How did you even have that kind of appetite 2 days post-op?

tsk tsk

Ditto. From the mouth of babes... Sorry, Bob, but at 17, you are a bit of a baby here. No offense meant.

I have to wonder, and ask, if the OP's surgeon explained the reason for the highly restrictive diet? Did he show you how the stomach would be manipulated and stitched to allow it to heal with the band in place? Mine used an actual lap band, and the sheet on my hospital bed to show me exactly how he would place it, and where he would stitch it, and where the liver would have to be moved to allow this.

Kat

There is actually several videos on uTube that show the complete operation--both installing the Lap Band and Removing the band. There are also videos on fills. The videos are not for people with weak stomachs!!!

It really helped me know what would take place during surgery. I was better talk with my Surgeon about the procedure. I also better understood the seriousness of this surgery. It is true about adhesions forming during the first 5 days after surgery. Scar tissue forms over the band which better keeps the band in place. If one does not stick to a liquid diet, then they risk the band slipping.

I totally agree that much of the complications have to do with the "bandsters." We have to do our part to ensure success.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds_nwlgQztE]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

And I and others are equally sick of people who brush off these things and try to tell people it's okay. YOU'RE not a doctor, and all of our doctors have put us on relatively restrictive programs after surgery FOR A REASON.

For a bunch of dolts to come online and tell others "it's okay because I did it" is just SO stupid that there aren't words.

I AM a new bandster, and I saw that they ate a hamburger and it sure as hell did not compel me to do the same. I wondered how they managed to pull that off, cause as I said, two days out of surgery I could barely hold down 1/2 a cup of Gatorade Propel Water.

And you're right, I'm NOT a doctor, but my brother is, so I address my medical questions to him. Thanks.

And furthermore, you are not a doctor either so getting on here and preaching like you are doesn't make it so. You may be more informed, and better prepared, but that does not a doctor make.

I didn't make it to the end of this thread to read what others said, but from you saying that a bunch of dolts are on here telling people its ok, is offensive to me, because I never said it was, and neither did the OP, for that matter.

I said, and forgive me for being a kind hearted person, that perhaps instead of living in the negativity that we have all been living in, because we do not live in a society that forgives being fat, that perhaps POSITIVITEY would be a refreshing change.

Excuse the hell out of me.

E.A.D.

I seriously think this must be some sort of joke. I had NO appetite a couple days post op... Appetite didn't return for me, for about a week and a half... It seems fishy...

It could very well be a joke , BUT the sad part is people DO THIS ! Its been told before, people have done it before. People have done it before and suffered very bad consequences.

So i guess you just never know ?

Mindy

I AM a new bandster, and I saw that they ate a hamburger and it sure as hell did not compel me to do the same. I wondered how they managed to pull that off, cause as I said, two days out of surgery I could barely hold down 1/2 a cup of Gatorade Propel Water.

And you're right, I'm NOT a doctor, but my brother is, so I address my medical questions to him. Thanks.

And furthermore, you are not a doctor either so getting on here and preaching like you are doesn't make it so. You may be more informed, and better prepared, but that does not a doctor make.

I didn't make it to the end of this thread to read what others said, but from you saying that a bunch of dolts are on here telling people its ok, is offensive to me, because I never said it was, and neither did the OP, for that matter.

I said, and forgive me for being a kind hearted person, that perhaps instead of living in the negativity that we have all been living in, because we do not live in a society that forgives being fat, that perhaps POSITIVITEY would be a refreshing change.

Excuse the hell out of me.

E.A.D.

I will jump in on this and first off say I totally 100% agree w/ everything Beth said. It has nothing to do w/ being negative it has to do w/ being REALISTIC and honest. It does NO ONE any good to say " OH DEAR you went against your doctors ORDERS, after having a major procedure done when your stomach was suppose to rest for up to 4 WEEKS and ate a WHOLE BURGER AND Pasta 48 hours later . Let me hold your hand and tell you your going to be fine "

I personally wont do it . I WILL tell you because this is usually what happens, Someone asks " Did i mess things up " I wil say " YES YOU PROBABLY DID OR YOU COULD HAVE what the hell did you think was going to happen"

The 100% honest truth is , your either ready to commit to this or your not . Sorry that's what it boils down too. And if you honestly can not 100% keep yourself from eating a burger 48 hours after surgery , then you need help . Anyone does.

GREAT it did not compel YOU To eat a burger, But it does not mean it wont compel another newbie ! After being on this site for 3 yrs , people come on here and look for validation for their bad choices. they want people to tell them its ok.

All it takes is to see ONE post like this and someone to see " OH LOOK they ate a burger she was "Ok" I can do it too"

Your brother is a doctor ? Great, Ask him how he would handle someone who went against HIS Medical advice 48 hours after his surgery . Is your brother YOUR SURGEON ?

His advice might be different from your doctors. Your docs advice might be differnt than mine .

further more its NOT PREACHING , its EXPERIENCE. Dont come on here and get pissy because you didnt hear what you wanted to hear but heard what you needed to hear. That's not our issue or fault . Sorry its just not !

YOU Or the OP may not have said this was ok. But others do and have come on here and other threads saying stupid crap like " WELL I DID something like that and I was FINE " Its irresponsible to tell someone that . It just is .

LBT Is ALL ABOUT being positive. Ya ever been to the "Other Site" try going over there for a while and you will see how positive LBT IS. Just because you or someone else did not hear what you wanted to hear does not mean we are horrible mean cruel people !

Mindy

Ok, let me put my "mod hat" on for a sec (it's actually a beenie with a propeller, but I digress...). This is what I see at play here:

This thread is quickly turning into a "us vs. them" scenario (or possibly a "we vs. they", if you prefer). It's actually kinda common whenever anybody posts one of these "I did this, will I be OK" posts. Inevitably, people are polarized between giving a pep talk to the OP and giving a dose of tough love. Whichever camp you fall into is ok.....we are all entitled to our opinions.

However, let's not get petty. It's really easy to do....When somebody posts that they did something potentially dangerous or something that reeks of an addiction, all the rest of us addicts react.....but in the end we are all here for information and support, so let's try to keep it nice.

Is this a "for real" post? I tend to think not, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong, then the OP clearly needs some help. Lobbing bombs back and forth at each other doesn't accomplish much, except for making your poor underpaid (and by underpaid, I mean "do it for free") mods work that much harder. So in the intrest of keeping the peace I will personally send all of you autographed 8X11 glossy B&W headshots of yours truly. No really.......Hey where's everybody going? Hello??

Hi there,

Ive just had a lap band and im 3 days post op..i was told by my surgeon i was not allowed to eat solids as the band could actually slip into your stomach i dont want to alarm you but if i was you maybe you should go back and get your band x-rayed just in case as you dont want any serious harm to come to you.

Hi everybody,

Just looking for some support im 3 days post op so i am feeling a little sore, im on a liquid diet but to be honest im sticking to milky tea/coffee milk and Water..im doin everythign my surgeon has told me to do but im scared of moving too much as i dont want my band to move my friend who has had it done said i had to be really carefule can anyone help in what is an acceptable amount of moving around i think im being paranoid but i no that the forst week is meant to be the most critical...feel really good lost a stone in a week pre operative

Hi everybody,

Just looking for some support im 3 days post op so i am feeling a little sore, im on a liquid diet but to be honest im sticking to milky tea/coffee milk and Water..im doin everythign my surgeon has told me to do but im scared of moving too much as i dont want my band to move my friend who has had it done said i had to be really carefule can anyone help in what is an acceptable amount of moving around i think im being paranoid but i no that the forst week is meant to be the most critical...feel really good lost a stone in a week pre operative

Hi there anngied. In general, you'll get more answers to your question if you use the "start a new thread" button instead of hiding it in an already existing thread.

Having said that, it's good for you to get up and move. Walk, walk walk. It will help with your recovery. Don't be lifting anything heavy (don't want to pull those stitches), but pretty much any movement is good for you. Let your body be your guide. If it hurts a lot, quit doing it. If there is any question as to whether a movement is ok, call your doc's office. Good luck!