Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

biggest loser - '09

But TBL has 21 hungry people and 1 with a lack of commitment to stick to the program that he needed to. Sorry JMHO. I tend to feel for the people that haven't had WLS because I sometimes wonder how many of them will be back where they are now because just plain old dieting rarely has results that last forever.

i feel sorry for those that have had WLS and it didn't work for them & ended up in a worse place. i struggle w/a healthy paranoia that my band won't be forever & cross fingers i've learned lessons in the process. some never get there, that's almost worse than never having had WLS - IMO.

i get what your saying - but i am SO rooting for that man because he doesn't have many more choices & who's to say his head hunger isn't real vs one of the other 21 contestants?

I feel bad for the guy too because he went through WLS and ended up where we all fear we could end up - BUT - people get GB, DS, VSG because they want RAPID weight loss. That's why a lot of us at least had a passing thought to go that direction. How many times did you say "I tried dieting but couldn't stick to it" or "I was always so hungry" or "It didn't work" so I decided to have WLS to finally beat the battle of the bulge. My point is that the other 21 people are where we (and he) was prior to WLS. I remember that helpless feeling and being grateful for every pound I took off. The lap band is something that results in a slower weight loss. I would be peeved if I was in a contest with a $250K prize with someone who had a WLS that was designed to melt the fat away and I had the band. I personally would feel like it was a rigged contest. JHMO

if we watching know he had WLS - the other contestants know he had WLS; he said as much....therefore it's not rigged - or they don't have to participate if they feel an unfair advantage. he still has to do the work to lose the weight to win - i think he'll just be happy to take the lbs off to consider himself a winner.

I think the producers put him on there to make a not-so-subtle point about WLS failure vs the traditional diet-and-exercise success.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it?

I think the producers put him on there to make a not-so-subtle point about WLS failure vs the traditional diet-and-exercise success.

I think you just might be right. Didn't the doctor say something to the fact that "this just goes to show that WLS is not the answer" or something like that?

Anyway, I love TBL and cried last night when some of them were crying at the weigh in. I could feel their pain. And when the fiance on the Red team was crying and said she could not fake her life anymore, the entire episode was moving and emotional last night. I don't like that they sent 9 of the home, that would suck soooo bad!

I truly wish them all luck and hope they can change thier lives:smile2:

one person i just didnt care for was the biggest woman - on the gray/silver team... the one that got sent home... i dunno, she just rubbed me the wrong way...

Me too LMJ! I thought she was acting very self-centered and I didn't like her attitude. She insinuated that their friendship was on the line. Her friend seemed a little like a push over too....I dunno, but I got the same vibe.

No, I don't think you're reading too much into it. I thought the same thing.

Mac, you're hooked! :thumbup: Admit it!

I have never seen Big Medicine...when is it on?

Hey, I didn't watch last night. I just read the recap on TWoP so I could follow what you guys are talking about.

Big Medicine is in re-runs on Discovery Health. I don't know when it's on because TiVo just picks it up and when I noticed some episodes I watch them. It's supposed to start up again in Feb, I think on TLC.

I love Big Medicine! Been away far too long - heard they were even thinking of cancelling it. Sheesh, how much Little People Big World, and Jon & Kate Plus 8 can someone stand anyway??

Just read on Yahoo! that one on the pick team, Shannon, was arrested for allegedly assaulting a housemate with a bag of flour. Her roommate, it looks like

I don't think a show is exploitive if the contestants are there willingly -- especially when it's in their 3rd or 4th season. However, there is no freakin' way you'd ever see my gut on national TV. I still am aghast at what these people are willing to put themselves through. I started crying along with them when they cried during their "check in".

I immediately didn't like the one blonde on the green team, the one that was "hyperventilating" and crying on the treadmill. I felt that her partner was very positive and an "I'm just gonna do it" type, and the other was holding her back. Frankly I'm glad that is the one that got sent home. She just seemed like a heck of a whiner. She'll be back, however, because I believe her teammate will remain.

Yep! That whiner was sickening. You can tell her she was a spoiled baby brat whose momma probably spoon fed her chocolate while telling her not to worry, she'll lose the weight.

Sheesh, how much Little People Big World, and Jon & Kate Plus 8 can someone stand anyway??

In my case, the answer is Zero.

I don't think a show is exploitive if the contestants are there willingly.

Just because people are willing to be exploited, doesn't mean they aren't though.

The reality of being on those shows can be a lot different than how it seems on tv and people don't always know what they signed up for until they are there.

Just because people are willing to be exploited, doesn't mean they aren't though.

The reality of being on those shows can be a lot different than how it seems on tv and people don't always know what they signed up for until they are there.

Where this might be true specificly with WHAT's going to happen, TBL has been around long enough for the contestants to have a good idea that something WILL happen. The contestants have their own agenda as to why they want to be on TBL so the argument of exploitation by outside forces can't fully be made. So what is self-exploitation for personal gain called? Don't most of us do that already when we check into work each day?

I agree, they seem to dupe several people every season on Survivor apparently.

MacMadame, I COMPLETELY agree with you about not being able to stomach Kate + Eight & the Little People Show

I re-watched the show last night (DVR) and started laughing. I had forgotten in the beginning the ex-models were crying because a boy hadn't asked for her number in months!

Wow. Really? That's why you're at Biggest Loser? To get a date?

I think she's the one Jillian said needed severe emotional help, in addition to weight loss help.