Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

biggest loser - '09

i don't think the show is exploitative. contestants, i'm sure are fans of the show, they know what will be expected of them, what they will wear, & how the show may be edited.

i have been with my trainer almost a yr - he is more bob's style in personal approach; however he does bark at me to not give up and continue on....i think it's is a fine balance to keep others motivated. DH swears i would be bleeped the whole show if jillian was my trainer; i tend to have a potty mouth, HOWEVER - i think she really goes to the emotional side of why someone got fat. look at the 2 past winners (ali & michelle) - both were emotional wrecks in the house; and jillian helped them through it. says a lot about her if you ask me.

this season - i got choked up last night watching the show.

i swore i would never regain the weight i lost & would no matter what continue in the gym (i hear ya LJM)...

i don't know who i like & don't - wish they didn't send one of the pairs home; but that might make it interesting.

i don't think the show is exploitative. contestants, i'm sure are fans of the show, they know what will be expected of them, what they will wear, & how the show may be edited.

i have been with my trainer almost a yr - he is more bob's style in personal approach; however he does bark at me to not give up and continue on....i think it's is a fine balance to keep others motivated. DH swears i would be bleeped the whole show if jillian was my trainer; i tend to have a potty mouth, HOWEVER - i think she really goes to the emotional side of why someone got fat. look at the 2 past winners (ali & michelle) - both were emotional wrecks in the house; and jillian helped them through it. says a lot about her if you ask me.

this season - i got choked up last night watching the show.

i swore i would never regain the weight i lost & would no matter what continue in the gym (i hear ya LJM)...

i don't know who i like & don't - wish they didn't send one of the pairs home; but that might make it interesting.

I immediately didn't like the one blonde on the green team, the one that was "hyperventilating" and crying on the treadmill. I felt that her partner was very positive and an "I'm just gonna do it" type, and the other was holding her back. Frankly I'm glad that is the one that got sent home. She just seemed like a heck of a whiner. She'll be back, however, because I believe her teammate will remain.

I felt for the 19-year-old boy who weighed the most. He seems like such a sweet kid, and to be SO fat at such a young age... wow. I can't relate because I didn't get fat until I was in my mid-20's.

I think this is going to be the best season yet! I too think this is the first season where the people actually look their weight. It's good to see some really big people on the show this time....especially the women. I'm really excited about this season. Can't wait to watch it next Tuesday!!

Gotta admit that I LOVE TBL. I even named my band 'Jillian' because I love her psycho approach so much.

Loved the new show intro - and love the positive attitudes I see so far. My heart stopped with the gentleman on the White team collapsed. I was crying at some of their stories and why they are on the show.

I can say this - I wanted to KICK half of the grey team off - and I think you can all guess who I am talking about. Single digit weight loss? WTF? I know if I were working out with either Bob or Jillian for a week, for multiple hours a day, and eating nothing but good food, I'd lose double digits the first week...

I was so shocked at the contestant who had WLS - I felt bad for him...but then, it could be said that he brought his situation on himself...he must be eating nothing but 'sliders'...my goodness!

Addicted immediately and will watch every single week...they inspire me to do better. I don't know how I'd be able to function with 200 more pounds that I have on me right now, like some of these folks are doing.

I wish them nothing but the best and hope that the kicked off players can come back in better shape than when they left. They shouldn't just depend on their teammate to get them back on and help them be healthy - they should work their butts off while at home!

Now, I want to start off acknowleging the work that WLS takes. We work hard at this. HOWEVER, having a guy on there with a stomach the size of an egg (x-ray verified) isn't fair. Coming from someone who has had the benefit of a well adjusted band, he's not dealing with the physical hungries that the other people are. As EbonyRose said, he was eating sliders or something to gain it all back because his pouch looked ok.

Yeah, yeah I know, he could have had a botched surgery. They didn't say that. We all know what it's like to do the diet routine prior to WLS and we are all failures of one diet or another. That's why we're here.

I'm sorry but I just don't think that putting someone with WLS into a controlled environment with a trainer and 21 other people w/o WLS is fair. Of course he'll loose faster if he doesn't cheat!

Ok, kill me now. :)

Now, I want to start off acknowleging the work that WLS takes. We work hard at this. HOWEVER, having a guy on there with a stomach the size of an egg (x-ray verified) isn't fair. Coming from someone who has had the benefit of a well adjusted band, he's not dealing with the physical hungries that the other people are. As EbonyRose said, he was eating sliders or something to gain it all back because his pouch looked ok.

Yeah, yeah I know, he could have had a botched surgery. They didn't say that. We all know what it's like to do the diet routine prior to WLS and we are all failures of one diet or another. That's why we're here.

I'm sorry but I just don't think that putting someone with WLS into a controlled environment with a trainer and 21 other people w/o WLS is fair. Of course he'll loose faster if he doesn't cheat!

You actually make a very good point, something I hadn't thought of before.

in all honesty - i'm glad they have someone on with a failed WLS. not for giggles; but because it's a reality....sometimes it just doesn't work for someone, sometimes they have the wrong surgery.

my neighbor - she had gastric, lost 140lbs - gained more than half back when she had a revision to a DS 2 months ago. she had no business having RNY in the first place, because she had no intention of changing her eating habits. she asked me how many calories i had a day & guessed around 1100.....that was Breakfast for her. i think she now has the right surgery for her, like lapband worked for many of us here.

i don't think having WLS is an easy "out" for someone - i still have to make proper food choice selections / shop for healthier items & drag my a$$ into the gym on days i rather sleep in. if anything he has a strike against him & i'm pulling for him - because according to his labs, this is make or break for him.

Vicki, I actually agree with you 100%...that's why I am anxious to see how he does. I am suprised others on the show aren't talking about the unfairness of it.

Its amazing that some of you think the numbers weren't good. Granted, they are very large, however, they most likely haven't worked out much less MOVED in a long time. I think most did very well!

I love the show and funny, 'cause I hated it so much in the past that I wouldn't watch it (thought it was exploitive, etc) until a fellow bus rider talked me into it last season. I'm hooked on it now!

I was hoping the older couple would stay above the yellow line but I don't have much hope that they'll be on the ranch for very long...

one person i just didnt care for was the biggest woman - on the gray/silver team... the one that got sent home... i dunno, she just rubbed me the wrong way...

the guy with WLS - i think if he is really dropping good nmbers, not sure what he lost last night - the 'unfair' will start coming to head...

i agree aoubt the one whiny former model ... move.your.ass..... just flipping do it. quit your bitching and just do it.

sorry ... im really cranky right now (just got home from labor and delivery AGAIN) and probably just shouldnt be posting...

I love the show and hope this season is as exciting as it seems to be from the start. I know I couldn't do what they do, but I am glad to see them improve all the time. I do get inspired from the show. Hope there is no more drama like last year.

Last season was the first time I ever watched TBL. Has it always been as dramatic as it was last season? Any thoughts?

I want to say that I too am glad that someone who didn't follow the program with WLS is owning up to it. However, I still say that being on TBL isn't the place. People need to know that if they are considering WLS it is not the easy way and that there is a program to follow. I'm sorry if my last post lead anyone to believe that I felt WLS of any kind was easy. Even having had the blessedly easy journey that I've had has had its ups and downs.

But TBL has 21 hungry people and 1 with a lack of commitment to stick to the program that he needed to. Sorry JMHO. I tend to feel for the people that haven't had WLS because I sometimes wonder how many of them will be back where they are now because just plain old dieting rarely has results that last forever.

I was really rooting for the older couple too. They are so sweet. I agree that the biggest woman was also the biggest b......jerk. Yeah, yeah jerk is the sociably acceptable term, right? LOL Between her and the whiny blonde I was expecting someone to loose it. Some of the people had some really poor attitudes towards their partners. I was personally happy to see the ones stay that did because I think most of the less appealing people got sent home. Their partners really lucked out there huh? :)

Yep, really effected me last night too (see last night's blog, link below). Yes, I was on the treadmill today.

I was thrilled to see a WLS patient on there and knew there would be a bunch of "unfair" cries...but I didn't expect to see that here...interesting. I guess the way I looked at it was it's a good education for everyone and even if he's not as physically hungry as the next guy he's obviously emotionally hungry and has already established long habits of eating around it which is going to be hard for him to stop. I'm sure we'll here more from the other contestants about this if he does well, but I'm hoping it ultimately shows the public that WLS isn't a quick fix by how hard he has to work at it.

'Till next week!

I dunno... how is their food handled there? It's been a very long time since I've watched, so I wasn't sure how they do the food. In other words, is there any and everything there they would want to eat? Is junk kept as a teaser or is junk not kept there?