Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To anyone who lost weight Pre-op

How did you do it? I'm not required to do some specific pre op liquid diet or anything but they would like me to loose 10lbs - 15lbs to be safer before surgery. Any tips on how to do that in a good amount of time?

I lost 8 lbs in the week before my surgery, my doctor requested that I do an clear liquid diet for 7 days but that proved to be very difficult. I ended up having 2 slim fast optimas a day, one weight watchers smart one (one that only had like 2 grams of fat) and then the rest was Clear liquids (sugar-free Jello, chicken broth, sugar-free popsicles and lots of water).

Hope this helps!

My doctor put me on a lean Protein and green veg diet for the week before my op - it worked really well and I lost about 6-7 pounds the week before. I basically got South Beach protein Meal Replacement bars and had them along with fish and chicken - broccoli and lettuce... it worked. Good luck!

I have been on a 10 day clear liquid pre-op diet for four days so far and have lost 5.5 lbs. I also have been going to the gym and walking for 45 min on the tread mill. With the diet I have to drink 4-6 8 oz glasses of carnation instant breakfast.... it's working....:smile: give it a try. :(

Most people, althought not everyone, have to do a pre op liquid diet like Optifast - primarily to shrink the liver. Normally I'm not a low carb advocate, but when it comes to shrinking the liver, you do have to cut carbs.

When is your surgery? If its only a couple of weeks away (like 2 or 3) I'd go and get some Optifast and get going on that.

If you have longer - like six or weight weeks - and havent been told to do the Optifast diet then I wouldnt put myself through the misery of it. I'd start a more moderate lower carb, higher Protein plan including plenty of fruit and veges and start some regular moderate aerobic exercise - pretty much your standard non magic weight loss formula that works if only you could darn well stick to it. Just do your best from now until then.

How did you do it? I'm not required to do some specific pre op liquid diet or anything but they would like me to loose 10lbs - 15lbs to be safer before surgery. Any tips on how to do that in a good amount of time?
HI THERE, I HAD TO LOSE #20, MY SURGERY DATE IS 2--13-09. FIRST OFF, I WAS MORE FAITHFUL ABOUT TAKING MY BLOOD PRESSURE pills, THERE IS ONE THAT IS A DIRARETIC WHICH REMOVES EXCESS Water FROM YOUR SYSTEM, I LOST #6 THE FIRST DIETING WEEK. I ALSO AM GETTING IN THE HABIT OF NOT EATING EVERYTHING ON MY PLATE. I WAS RAISED TO CLEAN UP MY PLATE AND NOT TO WASTE ANYTHING...THAT WAS HARD. I ALSO INCLUDE A SMALL salad WITH ITALIAN DRESSING-JUST A BIT. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER, I STOPPED DRINKING REGULAR COKE AND SWITCHED TO FRESCA AND ICE WATER. I ALSO REDUCED THE CARBS I ATE AND INCLUDED MORE VEGGIES AND FRUITS...AND MOST IMPORTANTLY I PRAYED THAT GOD WOULD DO IN ME WHAT I COULD NOT DO MYSELF, AND THANKFULLY HE HAS DONE JUST THAT...TAKE CARE, DON'T WORRY, JUST A FEW LITTLE CHANGES WILL GO A LONG LONG WAY. CHAVA:thumbup:

I lost about 12 lbs before surgery. My doctor's office had guidelines for a low carb diet. I'm not a big fan of low carb diets, as I think whole grains and fruits are great for you, but it's a good place to start for shrinking the liver.

Try to do the South Beach Diet Phase 1 for a while. Focus on lean meats and veggies as much as you can and limit your intake of fruits and grains. Avoid high fat foods. So, instead of eating a scrambled egg and sausage, eat a scrambled egg and turkey sausage. Eat a hamburger without the bun. snack on low-fat cheese.

Liquid diets are fine if your doctor requires them, but they don't help you as you choose what to eat after surgery. If you develop good habits before the surgery, the chances are you'll have the same habits after surgery.

Thanks everyone! I am doing pretty good with drinking lots of Water, trying to drink more and more everyday, it is hard to get into that habit. I'm also working on actually eating 3 meals a day, I never did that before. I think right after the holidays I will try a combination liquid diet with maybe one small meal a day. And then eventually do all liquids!

My doctor put me on 2 Protein Shakes and one small meal a day. I think I lost 20 pounds the first month. It's since slowed because I'm indulging in holiday treats. It's tough now, but I figure at least I won't be hungry after surgery, whenever that comes.

I just made some of the basic chages early

2 months before surgery I gave up soda, alcohol, caffine, and straws. I also started eating sower and waiting 30minutes to eat.

I ended up losing a little over 6 pounds

The pre-op diet is hard. I lost 10-pounds during this time. I had two Protein Drinks and a high Protein meal at night. If I needed a snack it was something with protein. I layed off the sweets, which really helped. Lots of Water too.

Thanks everyone! I am doing pretty good with drinking lots of Water, trying to drink more and more everyday, it is hard to get into that habit. I'm also working on actually eating 3 meals a day, I never did that before. I think right after the holidays I will try a combination liquid diet with maybe one small meal a day. And then eventually do all liquids!

My Doc recc'd the same and she also said to do 3-4 days a week of at least 30-45 minutes of exercise!!!! Add the exercise!!!:thumbup:

I've been on a pre-op diet since December 2nd, getting banded December 30th. The original date was December 15th, so I've been on it longer than the 14-day required diet.

These are the guidelines I'm supposed to follow:

<1300 calories

<100 g carbohyrates

90-120 g Protein

I can have Clear liquids and full liquids only, but can also have: veggie salad, steamed veggies, cream Soups, Tomato Soup, fat free pudding, sugar free Jello

I've gone from 306 to 289 thus far.