Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Went to regular food after only 2 weeks.

So I've been banded for exactly two weeks today and I have a confession...

Well, both my husband and I got banded two weeks ago. The first week we stayed on Clear liquids, and actually moved into full liquids about two days early. Then we went to mushies early. Now we just said screw it and we're pretty much eating WHATEVER WE WANT!!! I mean, there's very little restriction too. We just take little bites and chew well....but seriously I am worried that this isn't going to work because I can eat just like I did before...I mean, maybe a little slower, and maybe a little less food in general...but all in all I am wondering what the heck?

Also, should I be worried? I know the docs say to go to full liquids then mushies then soft foods, but for what reason? Everything we've been eating has been totally fine. Even bread doesn't really get stuck. Did we stretch it out or something? We haven't got our first fill yet, so do things change big time after that?

I am just worried that this isn't going to work!!!

I went to regular foods fairly quickly, too. Mashed potatoes and stewed beef gravy tasted heavenly to me as my first "solid" meal. But I still avoid untoasted white breads, Pasta, and rice. I do not want to risk anything getting stuck.

You will more than likely see a huge change after that first fill. I know I did!

Hang in there....I'm sure you'll be fine!:biggrin:

I see this so often here and it amazes me that people are not being told the reason for these rules. The purpose of not going on solids early is that you have internal stitches holding your band in place. These stitches need 4-6 weeks to heal properly. An important part of the success in Lap Band is proper placement. When we eat solid food, our stomachs churn to digest the food. That motion can tear those stitches out which would cause band slippage or it can cause the band to shift then heal in the wrong position. You would not feel it if it happened and the damage caused may not be noticed until later.

Being hungry and be able to eat are normal during this stage. We have all been through this and know how hard it is. If you want this to work then you need to stay with the program that your doctor gave you. It is only temporary and eventually you will be allowed to be on solids and as the fills come you will be satisfied on smaller and smaller amounts. Choosing to ignore doctors orders during healing is not a wise decision.

I agree, you need to let the tummy heal and you have to let the band rest so the stitches that tie it to the outside stomach wall are set and healed afterward. That the reason for liquids and more liquids. The extra Protein helps the healing along and the liquids heal your soul and set the stage for the ongoing weight loss. Yep that food taste good, but remember we have to chnage our old addage on how we "normally" eat. I was a borderline case, I had to do six months diet with Dr care and nutritionist and quit smoking before my dr would do surgery and my insurance would cover it. Every diet had tried in the last 20 years had been a waste. After my surgery I just kept telling myself that major weight loss would taste and feel better than any food at any time. I would not even touch anything with suger for 6 months, Now I will have something sweet from time to time, if it is sweetened with splenda. no real can sugar.I fought too long and hard to get approved for my surgery. I now have had 8 fills with 8cc in my band. normally eat less tahn a cup of veggies and protein. some day two fruit as Snacks. I am down 65 lbs , 10 pounds from goal. I have to fight even harder now. Food is good, I just have to use it to live not only because it taste gooood. Good luck on your new journey, keep those fills going to keep your in the restriction modes, keep your dr informed if you are not feeling restriction.:smile:

Oh boy.

I cant believe doctors dont make clear the REASONS for these rules.

Stop eating solid foods and get back to where you should be on your program right now. You may feel OK but the damage may show months down the track, you're predisposing yourselves to complications like slippage. You may be lucky too of course and there'll be nothing to show for you advancing your program of your own volition. But if I were you I'd go back to doing what you are supposed to be doing right away.

Even if you didnt undrstand why you had the regime, WHY would you knowingly break what your doctor told you to do?

Of course doing what your dr said to do is the best advice but I wouldn't worry that you hurt anything. My dr had me and my husband (both banded a day apart) on a liquid diet for just 3 days. Mushies for another 3 days, then solid food.:smile:

jodi620, bandfun4me and jachut said it all . . . you need to get back on plan and as soon as possible if you want to make this a success. Damage done during this early stage may not show up for months down the road.

Why risk your band now? If you care for your health, your band and want to achieve eventual success . . . follow the plan. What is a couple weeks of difficulty compared to a lifetime of success???

How would you feel if you lose your band to severe slippage sometime next year and you know that you did not give it your best to make it work? Give it your all now over the next couple of weeks and you can feel confident that you did your best and are ensuring your success.

I'd go back to where you are supposed to be on your post op healing food stage becuase of the reasons mentioned here. You don't want to mess with your healing.

I'm 11 days out and had my post op checkup today and my staples removed and was put on mushies (doc office calls them purees but I clarified that meant mashed tatos and all that jazz).

I'm even paranoid to start them because I DEFINITELY do not want to go through surgery again to correct a slippage.

Good luck! You can do it!

One more thing I want to mention. There will always be people out there that say you will be fine, it is no big deal to fall off your post-op diet plan or that they did the same and they are doing ok. Everyone has different opinions and that is normal.

If you look over time you will see that there are countless threads on this same subject. Most of the people who say it is no problem are not very far out from banding. Those of us who have achieved long term success all tend to be of the same opinion regarding early compliance leading to eventual success.

I wish you the best of luck . . . and just remember it is only a brief time period. It will only be a short time until you can eat anything and know you are safe doing so.

Please tell me you did some research before allowing the doctors to place a band in you? Did you not go to orientations? Did you go in with your eyes wide closed?

It is important to take responsiblity for your recovery and eating solids right now is not a wise choice. Really, you should call your doctor and let he/she know what you are doing?

I don't understand why SOME people go on liquids for a few days, then mushies for a few days then solids. And other people are saying that I am going to rip out all my stitches if I continue eating solid food....so what's the deal?

Also, it's not very nice to assume I didn't do my research before this surgery. Both my husband and I researched this for two years before we ever got it, yet NOTHING during any of the THREE orientations we went to mentioned the reason for the liquid diet.

Neither did our current doctor. Our doctor didn't tell us the reason for the diet at all. We were left to assume that the liquid diet was because of swelling, and as soon as we were able to eat solid food it should be alright...I mean, if you chew up the food very well and take small bites, it's the exact same thing as the "mushy" or "pureed" stage.

I don't understand the differences by each of the doctors either but I followed my dr.'s orders to the T.

Don't you all wish these bariatric drs would all attend the same damn seminars so that the education they provide ALL patients would be similar!?!?

This is unreal!! As a nurse,I'd hate for neurosurgeons to have such different positions on their surgeries!! YIKES!

Everything from pre-op to post-op diets, to when to bathe and have sex is different from one bandster to another. Here I was put on a strick 4 week Medifast shake only regime pre-op, while Joe Schmo just had to fast the day before surgery....I'm now 4 days post -op, got the ok to have "thicker liquids/yogurt" just today, where poor Sally Lou was told she can't take much more than tea for another 2 weeks....I don't get it!!

Oh well, I guess how we are feeling is the most important thing. We are all intelligent people and none of us have come this far to do any harm intentionally. We have to respect the fact that we all were indeed told something different.

Me.....I got brave and added a bit a skim milk to my Tomato Soup tonite....whoo-hoo I'm living on the edge :smile:

Also, it's not very nice to assume I didn't do my research before this surgery. Both my husband and I researched this for two years before we ever got it, yet NOTHING during any of the THREE orientations we went to mentioned the reason for the liquid diet.

Neither did our current doctor. Our doctor didn't tell us the reason for the diet at all. We were left to assume that the liquid diet was because of swelling, and as soon as we were able to eat solid food it should be alright...I mean, if you chew up the food very well and take small bites, it's the exact same thing as the "mushy" or "pureed" stage.

Personally, if my doctor told me to stay on a liquid diet, I would stay on that diet for however many days she/he told me too. If my doctor didn't tell me the reason for it, I would be asking why. Why not call your doctor and find out why??

Furthemore, after two years of research, surely you must have come across one article that stated the reason why you stay on the liquid post-op diet right after surgery.

Good luck to you.:smile:

Personally, if my doctor told me to stay on a liquid diet, I would stay on that diet for however many days she/he told me too. If my doctor didn't tell me the reason for it, I would be asking why. Why not call your doctor and find out why??

Furthemore, after two years of research, surely you must have come across one article that stated the reason why you stay on the liquid post-op diet right after surgery.

Good luck to you.:smile:

Nope. Not one. Not any single thing about the REASON for the post-op liquid diet. Aside from getting your stomach USED TO the food and the band....

Granted, yes we should have stayed on the diet to the T....but no one said that serious reprocussion might arise if we didn't. It's not like soda where they ingrain it into your head that you CANNOT have it or else you will stretch out your stomach. So of course we haven't had pop at all. But NO ONE EVER SAID that our stitches would "rip" out if we had mushies or soft foods early.