Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one use Dr. Daniel Huacuz-Tijuana?

Congratulations!! You have made the first step! Since you are asking my opinion about Dr. Huacuz, I will tell you first that I am in no way being compensated for my endorsement of him, this is completely how I feel regarding my experience with him. It was implied earlier that we may be compensated for saying nice things, maybe you read that. I had started to read really negative stories about him AFTER I had made my appointment with him, so I was scared right away about him. I am so glad I went to him anyway.

So anyway....I can't say enough good things about Dr. Huacuz. He is wonderful. I was so scared when I got there, I can't even describe, but literally, the moment he came in to talk to me, I felt sooo much better. I completely trusted him right away and I would not hesitate to go back to him again if say he moved to the US. I did not like being in TJ at all, couldn't wait to get back to the US, I just felt like a fish out of Water, culture shock. Everybody was super nice but I was still very uneasy, one thing I wish I would have known was how to call home from my cell phone. Maybe that is what scared me so much, I didn't know how to contact anybody. Anyway, I still get e-mails from Dr. Huacuz, he has sent me 3 holiday e-cards. I haven't contacted him at all because I haven't needed to, which is good, that means all is well right. I think he is a skilled surgeon with a great bedside manner to put you at ease. I hope you have as great an experience with him as I did! Good luck and please, keep me posted!!

Missy:clap2:

Hello again and long time no talk fellow Bandsters! And of course all you Bandster wanna be's!

I was banded 4/2/05 just about 8 months ago.. Dr Huacuz performed the surgery as well as a subsequent gallbladder surgery. My overall impression of the doctor was phenomenal really. Great bedside manner, the kind we're just not used to here in the states.

I wont ramble on about his care as I've stated it was unparalleled and I would and have recommend him and his services to anyone considering the procedures offered. I've sent family and close friends alike to him and they're experiences have all mirrored my own - fabulous!!

If youre considering the surgery - DO IT! You will ask yourself after you've had it why you waited so long. Dont put your lives on hold because of fear or the slander of others, do your research contact some of his patients and ask questions.. BUT DO IT..

Youre worth it, the quality of life that I am currently experiencing is out of this world, I havent been this thin or this healthy since I was in high school, I've lost over 80 pounds and Im currently a size 8.. A SIZE 8!

Surely most of you dont know me but I can tell you that a size 8 for me is nothing short of a miracle.. Sisters! Brothers! You can do it - you should do it - Just do it!!

I am more than willing to answer any questions and or share pics with anyone considering the surgery..feel free to email me at Gitanav@hotmail.com..

The Best of Luck to you ALL~

g

Just checking in. I was banded on 11/3/05 by Dr. Huacuz and am doing quite well! I have lost 64# so far and now, finally, need a fill. Yes, most people go for a fill at 6 to 8 weeks, but I am finally getting to the point where I need one. That means I get to drive to Tijuana on Saturday. LOL! The drive is no biggie since I live in San Diego and am in Tijuana at least twice a week anyway. It will be nice to see the good doctors again.

My friends (Yes I told them about the surgery) and family (No I have NOT told them about the surgery) are seeing the old me emerging. I stayed home before because I didn't have any energy to do anything. Now I am gone most of the time! Shoot, I have things to do, places to go and people to annoy. It used to be that I walked so slow people had to slow down for me because at a snail's pace I was walking as fast as I could. Now I have to slow down for THEM! The change in energy is mind blowing. You know it feels great to go from a size 34 to a size 24! Just 100# more and I predict I will be in my goal size.....a 16!

If any of you guys who are considering surgery have questions, please don't hesitate to email me at arealsweety@yahoo.com.

Sweety

60#s with no fills!!! That's great. I had my surgery on Feb 3rd with Dr. Huacuz. I really liked him as well as his staff. I am in the liquid diet stage and I am completely depressed because not only have I not eaten since 1 week ago, but I have no energy and I have lost NO WEIGHT!!!!! What's up with that?????? It hardly seems fair. I am concerned that something is wrong, because most people have reported that it has been really difficult for them to swallow even liquids right after their surgery, and I feel absolutely fine. I feel like I could probably eat just as I could before the surgery. What do you think, should I be concerned? AS for the weight, I'll just have to wait and see. You are definately an inspiration, keep up the great work and stay active!

Wannabelean,

Please don't be concerned. This is a time for healing, not for losing weight. You are just recently banded. Some people will lose a great deal of weight at the beginning and some will lose almost nothing. Some will lose then gain it all back before their first fill. Dr. Huacuz said that I would lose a lot at first because I started out so large (425#). The smaller I get, the slower the weight loss will be. The first 2 weeks after my surgery I didn't have much energy either so I slept a lot. LOL! I did, however return to work after 11 days and boy was I TIRED! It took 3 days for my body to adjust to walking around again and it got MUCH better. Keep drinking the liquids (shove in as much Water as you can) and try to stick with the Doctor's dietary recommendations. It really does work and it is better for your stomach. You will be SOOOO happy when you get to the mushie stage. I know I was! I wanted to hug the cottage cheese!

Sweety

I wanted to post to let everyone know how my banding that was performed by Dr, Huacuz has progressed. If anyone read my previous post I had the bait and switch from the inamed band to the Swedish Band on my original nightmare journey to TJ. Then last Oct. I had the band slip. I had to have it revised and my surgeon said there was no evidence that the band had ever been stitched in place during the original surgery. It slipped less than six months after being placed so it shouldn't have just disappeared. Just thought I would update.

Sorry you had that happen to you. Not everyone can be perfect. From my research I have found that slippage happens in 1-3% of patients. Generally it is associated with frequent vomiting (usually from a too tight band) but not always, sometimes it just happens. I sure hope your band wasn't too tight. That must suck. Best of luck to you.

Did anyone pay with a credit card? If so how did you do it with out the bank charging you such a high rate for a cash advance? The Doctors office told me everone paid with Cashiers Check but when I first given all the information she informed me we could pay via credit card? Help please???

The inamed isn't necessarily the best just because it is approved in the United States. Lap-banding has been going on for years in many other countries with various types of bands and under very successful situations. Research more than the surgeon also the benefits of the different bands (if your doctor will allow you to select between the various ones available.)

Good luck to all

April

INAMED is the only band presently FDA approved in the United States. Please take that into account before proceeding. Sure the surgeons will allow you to choose, but if you intend to get your fills in the US, find out if your proposed fill doctor will fill you with an non-FDA approved band.

Arealsweety

In Washington State there are several places I know of how do fills and will do follow up care on the J&J aka Swedish band, the french mid-band, and the Inamed. I'm sure if someone researches they will find that many places are use to handling care of these other bands and the differences in filling them is so minimal. The french heliogast might be more difficult since it's the newest but has some great benefits. Also the J&J will be going through FDA approval before long there are so many doctors pushing for it, it's just a matter of money and time on there part.

Did anyone pay with a credit card? If so how did you do it with out the bank charging you such a high rate for a cash advance? The Doctors office told me everone paid with Cashiers Check but when I first given all the information she informed me we could pay via credit card? Help please???

You can call your credit card company and request convenience checks or sometimes they will issue you a cashiers check. If they only issue you a convenience check, write it out to yourself, and have a cashiers check issued to you at the bank. Hope that helps:)