Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks w/band

Yesterday was my 3 week anniversary -

Lost around 20 lbs but feel no restriction when swallowing - hoping doc lets me have an adjustment soon but think I need to heal more before he allows it - fingers are crossed - feel eating could easily get out of control -

I was banded 2 weeks ago and having the same issue. I can't feel restriction. I am eating mooshies...and don't really eat alot because I am scared of messing up my band. I have also gained 2lbs since starting mooshies...dr said it's normal but still i hate seeing the scale go backwards.

Hi Stewy929,

First of all, good luck with your band -

From reading the threads on this site, I can see that what we both are feeling is common. Essentially there is no restriction in the band when they "install" it - they add the saline down the road with adjustments - I didn't know that so I was panicked - couldn't understand how I was feeling; like I had abdominal wounds but nothing else changed - now I realize that you have to be kind to your insides during healing - the surgery we had was traumatic to our bodies, organs - we have to be gentle for a few weeks -

Once we get the saline injections, we will feel the food restrictions and feel fuller faster -

Make sense?

I had the surgery on Nov. 24 and am scheduled for my first fill on Dec. 22 (Dr. Kirschenbaum in Denver). Between the pre-op diet and the first week of liquids - I lost 19 pounds. Now I am fighting to maintain that until my first fill. So I think we are in Lap-band Limbo for now. I definitely don't feel restricted, but if I eat large bites or too quickly, I swear I can feel it going all the way down my esophagus - and it's not a good feeling.

My innards feel well-healed and I am hoping to find the sweet spot after my first fill!

Good luck to my fellow newbies!

Love that, going to start quoting you mem620....lapband limbo :shades_smile:!!! I am two week postop today, so I am still a few weeks away from a fill. I can eat more than I thought I would be able to eat, but it is still way less than I used to eat. I have not felt hunger since surgery, do yall? I do feel growling and gurgling, but not hunger. I hope that feeling never returns! I was ALWAYS hungry before the band.

Trust me, your hunger will return just like before -

I agree that if you don't chew enough you do feel it go down the chute - sort of scary feeling as you can breathe but its not comfortable - I wouldn't call it a choke -

Well FVS, I sure hope not. How long have you had your band? When did you start to feel your hunger again? I am a newby so I am trying to prepare myself, for what you say seems to be the inevitable. I am hoping it stays gone for ever, but am preparing myself that it will come back like you said.

FVS ignore my question about the band, I read the beginning of post and saw you are week three. Did you start to feel hunger starting week three?

Hey wstorms -

Good luck with your band -

Hunger returned around two days after surgery - started with half a can of Soup and a few days later progressed to full can -

Like I said, I believe band is first placed with very little restriction - my theory after reading many threads here is that from the time of your surgery until the time of your first fill, life is same as it always was prior to surgery - there is a slight restriction so chew thoroughly - this is the time to show willpower and to be on a conventional diet. If I could have done that in the first place I wouldn't have needed the surgery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUH -

Then, only after the first fill or fills, the whole ballgame changes - your food quantity becomes restricted and that's when the real reason for having the surgery begins -

Your thoughts?

I started feeling hunger during week two. I talked to my Doc who said I could add soft foods such as cottage cheese and eggs. I never knew a poached egg could taste so good!

From what I have read from the postings of others, once you get that "sweet spot" with your fills, you will eat small meals about three times a day and stay full for hours. In between, many use some kind of Protein Shake to stave off hunger and get the nutrition they need. My Doc warned me that without the Protein Shakes, my hair may fall out and I will not have enough energy. I feel very positive about all this, but also know that I have to make MAJOR changes in my eating and excercise habits to have long term success. It is a journey. I'm so happy to have this forum to talk with my fellow bandmates about this...

Hey mem620,

You sound like a very positive attitude about the whole thing and that is great - it will help you reach your goals -

My bariatric coordinator told me to lay off the soft foods I already incorporated into my diet during the 2nd week - I was bored with just Soup and shakes - I also added cottage cheese and eggs - I didn't really listen to her - everyone is different - I knew I was tolerating soft foods fine -

Now that I'm in week 4, that point is moot - I have next appointment with surgeon on 1/2/09 and hope we can book my first fill - as I said, I feel my eating can get out of control as I can physically eat almost anything if I let myself - I'm just not letting myself indulge - but I miss salads - haven't had any meat or bread - ahd a little Pasta and rice in my soup - guess I missed chewing -

Your thoughts?

It amazes me to see how every Doctor has different preop and postop care. I have read that some people did not have preop diets, and my doctor insisted on a 7 day preop diet. I have enjoyed my post op diet much more :huh2:. I was on Clear Liquids two days and then Soups the rest of my first week, then started mushies after that for two weeks. So I have been eating mushies for a week now. I am to start eating regular foods at week four. I eat anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 cup of food each meal, and then have one to two Snacks a day. Maybe that is why I am not feeling hunger, because I load myself with Protein. I guess like Doctors, everyone has a different reaction to the band.

What Vitamins do you take? I am taking a flinstone chewable, B-Complex, and then 5,000 mg of Biotin to help prevent Hair loss. That is another reason why I am loading up on the protein, to help prevent hair loss. My favorite mushie protein by far is fat free refried Beans, I eat half a cup of those and feel very full.

I have GOT to get on the exercise band wagon. I am torn between buying a treadmill or getting a subscription to a gym. I am not a big fan of working out in front of people, but have friends that go to the gym, they are all pretty small though. I just know I need to do SOMETHING!! Right now, I still have some stitches left so I have a bit of time to get on the exercise band wagon, but I only have days!

My Doc told me I should add meat, bread, salad, etc at my own discretion after the first week of liquids. So I am eating well-rounded foods without any problems. Even thought I am not yet restricted, I definitely get full much quicker. About 1 to 1and a half cups of food fills me up. I stay full for a good 4 hours. I so knoW that I have GOT to slow down and take smaller bites. It bothers me to swallow without a restriction - so I can only imagine. After my first fill, I expect to eat less and have the same effect - but I've got to slow down.

As far as Vitamins go - I found that Centrum Silver makes a chewable Vitamin that is complex, so that's what I'm taking. I belong to Curves, and hope my Doc will clear me to go back when I see him for my first fill on Monday. I am anxious about how that will go and am thinking positive.

Good luck on Monday. I hope you get restriction on your first fill :huh2:. I have learned that using smaller silverware and cutting anything I eat up into tiny pieces helps me a lot. I also chew chew chew. I have to really think about it though. Hopefully soon this will just come as second nature.

I have tried to not drink while I eat, but it is just not possible for me. I dont drink much at all, but I have to have a little water! I used to drink two and three glasses of tea with a meal. Now I have MAYBE 1/4 a glass of Water with my meal. I just cant go without, maybe with a fill that will be easier for me!?!?!

I take two flintstone chewables w/ Iron in morning:

three tums chewables after dinner for Calcium along with a packet of coramega gel (fish oil) -

I can't believe your doctor said you could eat meat, bread, etc - there is a major conflict with what our nutritionists specializing in weight loss surgery and our surgeons are instructing - my nutritionist said to say goodbye to bread, Pasta, rice and should concentrate on Protein (3 oz) and vegetables if I want to be successful at this -

I believe the nutritionists are the experts in this field and should be given the benefit of the doubt over any surgeon's eating advice, ceratinly much more the more we move away from our surgery date -