Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Husband died during my program

Hi, my name is Linda. I am just finishing a year long program to prep for LapBand surgery. During the summer I lost my husband of 38 years to a heart attack. I thought at first that I would just discontinue my program, I didn't feel I could go on; but I returned to my program after 2 months. I knew that my husband would want me to be healthy and not lost in grief to my detriment. I had gained 12 - 15 pounds very quickly after his passing. It was a real struggle to take it back off so I would qualify to be presented. At first I was very resistant to having to go through the nutritionist, physical therapist, psychologist, and support groups; now I am so thankful that they were required. I have learned so much about not only the whole surgical process and how to maximize the effeciency of the surgery, but also about my self and how I deal with the ups and downs of life. We did the program in small groups and I found a new friend in my group and she has been a great support and help. I highly recommend learning as much as you can about the surgery and the necessary diet, and finding some good support systems to help you through the hard parts. My best wishes to you all for success and joy in your life. Linda P.

Let me say, I'm sorry for your loss.

Look at you finding strength at a time when it would be easy not to. You will do very well with the surgery, etc and everything that come with it.

You seem like a very together, strong woman. Your friend is lucky to have met you too.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thank you Juli, it has been rough. I guess there are phases to grief, sometimes I am okay, and sometimes I cry at the simple mention of anything to do with him. I know I am crying for myself, for my loss of his physical presence, since I truely feel that he is now soaring in spiritual freedom... and his presence in my heart is the same it has been for all these years.

Well hey girl, you have been amazingly successful, what a great inspiration. What do you think has helped you the most? And what has been the best benefit you feel you have gained from losing so much weight? Have you had any cosmetic surgery?

The most help is exercising. People don't want to hear that but it's the truth. Always set stretch goals that are more than you can do today and work toward them.

The biggest benefit is that I feel regular. Like I don't have to justify being who I am. I just am. I don't know how that comes across, but I hope it makes sense.

And for plastic surgery, I'm hoping for it to happen this spring, there's a lot of skin on me as there was once a whole other person nearly the same weight as I am now living under this skin with me. There's quite a bit of it.

You'll be surprised at all the stuff you'll be able to do. Not just with the weight but with your determination. You've got so much a head of you. And so much of it is positive. Watch out, it'll be be quite a ride, but an awesome one.

Yes, regular exercise has been the one thing that has kept me feeling good, both physically and mentally. I do laps and range of motion exercises in the pool, usually 5 - 7 days a week. I'm not able to walk due to knee condition and it is difficult to do floor exercises due to my lower back pain. I'm lucky we have a great county pool only a short drive away, and usually good enough weather to swim year round. I've been doing the pool routine for over a couple of years, and yet haven't lost a lot of weight, inches yes, but weight still bobbling around the same numbers on the scale. I also have an inactive thyroid (take synthroid) as well as diabetes, the exercise really helps me keep the diabetes under control. Sometimes I really have to "drag" myself to the pool, but once in I don't want to get out, being "weightless" in the Water seems like the only time I really feel graceful anymore.

Thank you all for your encouragement and kind remarks. I appreciate it.

I am so sorry for your loss. Keep moving forward and give yourself the gift of health. Do this for you and do this for your family.

Best wishes.