Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize that anyone else had this problem. I really didn't expect to, but here I am.

Before getting the surgery I was 70 lbs overweight. (I'm six feet tall too and female too, by the way!) I was banded in July 2008. I lost 25 lbs. prior to my surgery, and then lost about 10 more over the following three months. Yay! I was half way to my goal, but then something bad happened: I started to plateau. A month later something even worse happened: I started to GAIN!

At my last visit to my surgeon I was humiliated to see that I now only weight about 3 lbs less than when I was banded. So, I've not only not lost anything since September, I've gained nearly 7 lbs.

Like you, Tablithan, I paid way too much for these kind of results.

I was in denial for a while, and now I'm back to doing what's helped me lose in the past. I know this is weird for a bandster, but I joined Weight Watchers Online. I really need to get a grip on how much I'm eating, and I thought the tools there (which also work well on my cell phone) would keep me going. I'm only 3 days in, so I have no results to boast about, but I'm following the plan, and eshewing Cookies and ice cream.

I also went back to the gym this week. When I've been successful at weight loss before I worked out. Hard. At least three times a week. Since I've been banded, I've just been walking -- and not even every day.

As hard as it is to admit that I've been lax WRT food and exercise, it's kind of empowering to realize that I do have control over what's happening with my weight.

Everyone told me, and I even repeated the mantra -- "the band is only a tool that helps you do the hard work." I guess I thought it would do most of the work for me. *sigh*

I'm back in reality now, and I miss my bad habits a little, but I want to make this work.

Thanks to all of you who have been honest about their failures. It's good to know I'm not alone. It makes me feel like less of a lost cause.

Hi Eve,

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome!!!! We can do this!!!!! I love the fact that you are 6ft tall too. We are so few of us tall ladies!!! :regular_smile: Out of curiosity, what is your goal weight? I have a bigger bone structure so I am shooting eventually for 184 -- but for now, I just want 200. I would be soo happy if I saw 200. LOL.

I hear you on the embarassment at the dr's - going in when you are sitting close to where you were when you were banded. Been there, done that!!! LOL - but the great news is that you are recommitting to turning this around. How is your restriction? Have you heard about the 5 day pouch test which can help bring back restriction???

Questions for you:

a) What are you specific goals? e.g. is it to eat within a certain calorie amount daily? to work out a certain number to times a week?

:cool: Are you willing to post on here through your journey? Good, bad AND ugly? Because you will have all those, but we can support each other through all the stages. We would love it if you would.

Again, WELCOME and congratulations to recommitting to your band!!!

Hey Crzytchr,

How are you doing now after the surgery? Much better?

You are just rocking it on the Valentine's day challenge. I love it. Please, share with all - what is your secret?????

Ok so I got up and stepped on the scale. I want to throw it in the trash. How in the world can I go from ?89.8 to ?91.2 (1.4lbs) in one day. I always gain after that time of the month. I know its Water gain but oh my gosh it sure made my heart drop. I'm just like you Tabithan, I was going to just ignore it and not say anything but then that's what got me here in the first place. I kept ignoring the small gains until it was to late. You reminded me to face it; good, bad or ugly. I've finally admitted to myself I'm PETRIFIED of what the doctor will say if I go see him. I don't think I really need a fill after doing the pouch test. I find if I over do it my chest hurts like in the beginning. I think sometimes I eat past the band , I found myself eating and when it hurt I'd wait a bit then finish eating. Thats why I say I eat past the band, so to speak. Coming back and being truthful to my failure is very hard. As I've said before I'll brush myself off and go on, tomorrow is another day. As for today I will try and not let it get to me.

Ok so I got up and stepped on the scale. I want to throw it in the trash. How in the world can I go from ?89.8 to ?91.2 (1.4lbs) in one day. I always gain after that time of the month. I know its Water gain but oh my gosh it sure made my heart drop. I'm just like you Tabithan, I was going to just ignore it and not say anything but then that's what got me here in the first place. I kept ignoring the small gains until it was to late. You reminded me to face it; good, bad or ugly. I've finally admitted to myself I'm PETRIFIED of what the doctor will say if I go see him. I don't think I really need a fill after doing the pouch test. I find if I over do it my chest hurts like in the beginning. I think sometimes I eat past the band , I found myself eating and when it hurt I'd wait a bit then finish eating. Thats why I say I eat past the band, so to speak. Coming back and being truthful to my failure is very hard. As I've said before I'll brush myself off and go on, tomorrow is another day. As for today I will try and not let it get to me.

Thank you for posting the bad Kaelin's G Ma. I know it takes guts. Did you read what I wrote earlier today about how I self sabotaged the last two days after gaining 2 lbs?? Given that, I will recite what Cryzytchr said - it is impossible to gain 1.4lbs of fat overnight on 1200 calories. So please, don't fall down the hole I fell into when i self sabotaged after gaining 2 lbs. Then ironically the 2lbs just fell off. Yours will fall off too. it is likely just Water weight. What you do in the next 48 hours will probably be the most important. Good luck and please let us know how it goes!! Thanks for the post!!!!!!!

Edited by Tabithan

Thank you so much for the kind words. I did read your post from earlier and that's what gave me the courage to post my issue. Like I said I will brush myself off and TRY not to let it get to me. Thanks Again

Hello ladies...my name is Scarlet ...may I join your group? I feel like such a loser(not in a good way) and wonder if I can get my act back on track again. I will try with small baby steps and check in often to find my way. I had my surgery March 07 lost 70 pounds, not very steller but I was happy. Then 08 was a bad year with a 5 month platue and then a tight fill which brought on 2 complete unfills. I am just hanging on by a thread but will not give up!

Edited by Scarlett
spelling

Hey Crzytchr,

How are you doing now after the surgery? Much better?

You are just rocking it on the Valentine's day challenge. I love it. Please, share with all - what is your secret?????

Thanks for asking. I get a little better everyday. I drove too much today, though. My hubby is working out of town and my daughter has a Mardi Gras ball tonight. So, this morning we had a hair appt, then she had to work, we had to go to the other house 30 miles east get the long gowns from our other house and then 40 miles back west to go downtown to the ball. I am exhausted!

My secret is I can't eat as much right now. I was below 1000 calories for about a week, and I freaked. It is because the swelling from surgery had me a little more restricted than I like to be. It is loosening up now, though, and I am eating around 1100 calories. In a week I should be back up closer to 1500 and the weight loss will slow down, but I will feel better.

I figured out where the gain came from, at least I think. When I had surgery I was given pineapple juice and mango juice. Well to make the story short I didn't even look at the label and I've been on a pineapple juice kick, :yikes:OMG never noticed it had 30 grams of carbs in each glass. I've even been putting some in my Water just for taste. For a person that stays away from carbs this is a lot for me. I figured it out, with the juice I've consumed, its like 150 carbs in 1 day. I promised myself I will always try to look at labels...

Scarlett, Welcome Aboard. :thumbup:

Another 1.4 lbs fell of OVERNIGHT. Oh thank goodness I didnt completely self distract during my two day binge in revolt of gaining 2 lbs. Phew. It's made my day so I thought I would share. Hope everyone is doing well!!!!

Another 1.4 lbs fell of OVERNIGHT. Oh thank goodness I didnt completely self distract during my two day binge in revolt of gaining 2 lbs. Phew. It's made my day so I thought I would share. Hope everyone is doing well!!!!

Congratulations!!!!:thumbup:

Congratulations Keep up the good work.

Would also like to join your group. I really need some support. I was banded 2 years ago and did fairly well. Lost 140 pounds over 15 months.. was down to 158... but I have struggled with a band to tight for almost a year. My doc will not do a complete unfill only pulls a little off.. as a result of this and poor self control, I figured out how to eat past it... eating soft foods that go down easy and dont get stuck... bad thing is they are high calorie and foods I did not eat a lot of before.. so now I am back to 194 and very disappointed and frustrated... I read the post on pouches that are stretched and so I decided to go on liquids only for at least a week to see if I can shrink it back down... I have 4 cc band that has 2,6cc in it.. but when they did my last dye study I am VERY tight. I also need to start being more committed to exercise EVERYDAY... thank you in advance for your support and advice... lisa

Would also like to join your group. I really need some support. I was banded 2 years ago and did fairly well. Lost 140 pounds over 15 months.. was down to 158... but I have struggled with a band to tight for almost a year. My doc will not do a complete unfill only pulls a little off.. as a result of this and poor self control, I figured out how to eat past it... eating soft foods that go down easy and dont get stuck... bad thing is they are high calorie and foods I did not eat a lot of before.. so now I am back to 194 and very disappointed and frustrated... I read the post on pouches that are stretched and so I decided to go on liquids only for at least a week to see if I can shrink it back down... I have 4 cc band that has 2,6cc in it.. but when they did my last dye study I am VERY tight. I also need to start being more committed to exercise EVERYDAY... thank you in advance for your support and advice... lisa

Welcome to the group. I applaud you for realizing that you are too tight and knowing what needs to be done. Please find a doctor who will unfill you so you can heal, then GRADUALLY put your fills back in. You know what to do, but it seems the doctor you have isnt willing to listen to you. Have you thoroughly explained to him the food choices you are making because of the band being too tight? Please try. I hate to see people suffering because the tool they paid so much for is hurting them. You shouldnt have to feel like this.

I figured out where the gain came from, at least I think. When I had surgery I was given pineapple juice and mango juice. Well to make the story short I didn't even look at the label and I've been on a pineapple juice kick, :yikes:OMG never noticed it had 30 grams of carbs in each glass. I've even been putting some in my Water just for taste. For a person that stays away from carbs this is a lot for me. I figured it out, with the juice I've consumed, its like 150 carbs in 1 day. I promised myself I will always try to look at labels...

Scarlett, Welcome Aboard. :tongue2:

Thanks so much for the welcome!!

Lisa..I can feel your pain. I was like you filled tight but my dr. took everything out. I had to wait 6 weeks then try to refill. I was up to 2 then had to have everything taken out again because of the same tightness. They are slowly filling it again but in the mean time I have found my bad habits due to no restriction, christmas holidays and just plan depression.I am an intelligent person who knows what to do to control these eating emotions so it is baby steps and a big thank you for any support you can throw my way.