Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea - am I over drinking?

I just was banded on 11/18 and this is my 3rd day at home on the post surgery liquid regiment. Last night as I was trying to finish my last Protein Drink, I got really nausea. Was the reason I got nausea because I over drank? How do you know when you hungry and suppose to eat or not?:drool:

I just was banded on 11/18 and this is my 3rd day at home on the post surgery liquid regiment. Last night as I was trying to finish my last Protein drink, I got really nausea. Was the reason I got nausea because I over drank? How do you know when you hungry and suppose to eat or not?:drool:

Hi Welcome and congrats on being banded.

You might want to try just Water first off ? The Protein Drink might be too much for you ? or you might have just drank too much ? I would call your doc just in case to let him know you did feel that way and see what he says .

But you might want to start back maybe on Water see how you feel ? Have you felt nauseated on anything else ?

HTH

Mindy

Thanks. I called my doctor and he thought I must have just drank too much too fast. The only other time I felt nausea was when I got up too quickly from a chair. I've tolerated the Protein Drinks okay today. This is lot more difficult than I expected it to be. I didn't think it was going to be easy, but I'm really having to sense how my body reacts to stuff. The when do I eat to when am I hungry is my biggest challenge at this point. I know I am suppose to eat every 4 hours, but I'm just not hungry nor does anything taste good.

Thanks. I called my doctor and he thought I must have just drank too much too fast. The only other time I felt nausea was when I got up too quickly from a chair. I've tolerated the Protein drinks okay today. This is lot more difficult than I expected it to be. I didn't think it was going to be easy, but I'm really having to sense how my body reacts to stuff. The when do I eat to when am I hungry is my biggest challenge at this point. I know I am suppose to eat every 4 hours, but I'm just not hungry nor does anything taste good.

Things will get easier , right now , im assuming your still on liquids, its a little more difficult. Your tastes change after surgery , when you start to "eat" real food you will want different things than pre op . its a little bizzarre at first.

it gets easier. at this pont if your still on liquids my best advice is to sip sip sip nearly all day long .

HTH

Mindy

Yep that's it. Still on post op regiment of liquids and I'm getting really sick of the Protein drink taste.

I need to stay positive and motivated and I keep thinking to myself, this is a new chapter in my life and the reason I chose to do this extreme step is for my wife and 21 month old daughter. I want to be able to play soccer, or basketball or run with her in the yard. And in my old 400 pound frame that just wasn't going to happen.

It's also nice to know there's a whole community of people male and female experiencing exactly the same things I am at each stage of this process.

I just was banded on 11/18 and this is my 3rd day at home on the post surgery liquid regiment. Last night as I was trying to finish my last Protein drink, I got really nausea. Was the reason I got nausea because I over drank? How do you know when you hungry and suppose to eat or not?:cool2:

Hi-ya! I went to college in Fort Wayne.:cool2: Anyway, nausea...are you still taking pain meds? The lortab made me a little sick to my stomach. How much of the Protein drink are you consuming? I know you are supposed to get 60g of protein but thats not really feasible immediately following surgery. It seemed like I was hungry all the time post-op. I would eat or drink when my stomach growled but could only eat a few bites. When my "small" pouch/tummy is full I will 1.either get the hiccups or 2.a tight feeling in my chest. With that being said, I've had pretty good restriction post-op w/only a slight fill. Good luck! :smile2:

I was banded on the 7/11/08 in west oz and found that I was feeling nausea on for a couple of days after my op. My doctor reckons it from the anaesthetic that was used. Plus I was having something to drink every 20 - 30 minutes.:smile2:

Hi-ya! I went to college in Fort Wayne.:cool2: Anyway, nausea...are you still taking pain meds? The lortab made me a little sick to my stomach. How much of the Protein drink are you consuming? I know you are supposed to get 60g of Protein but thats not really feasible immediately following surgery. It seemed like I was hungry all the time post-op. I would eat or drink when my stomach growled but could only eat a few bites. When my "small" pouch/tummy is full I will 1.either get the hiccups or 2.a tight feeling in my chest. With that being said, I've had pretty good restriction post-op w/only a slight fill. Good luck! :smile2:

Good point w/ the meds , I stopped taking mine becuase they were making me so nauseated . Post op i did what I could protein wise. Mainly for me it helped to stay hydrated.

The first week i really just wanted Water, But everyone is so different, it gets easier.

The indicators you described , hiccups ect he wont get until he gets a fill and has some restriction , until then he will be in bandster hell. From now until you get a fill and get restriction to curb your hunger is the toughest part, after that its just a matter of losing. Hang in there !

What you are saying makes sense. After drinking some of the Protein drink, I get what is the sensation that I need to burp and a little painful sensation similar to GERD so I must be just not able to tolerate the Protein drink as well as I was thinking I could. I'm starting to feel and understand the whole full feeling. It's still a bit fuzzy for me but it's getting a bit easier to recognize the different feels in my throat/pouch area.

Very helpful.....

What you are saying makes sense. After drinking some of the Protein drink, I get what is the sensation that I need to burp and a little painful sensation similar to GERD so I must be just not able to tolerate the Protein drink as well as I was thinking I could. I'm starting to feel and understand the whole full feeling. It's still a bit fuzzy for me but it's getting a bit easier to recognize the different feels in my throat/pouch area.

Very helpful.....

It sounds like your drinking it too fast. You also might have a larger band that is partically filled at surgery .

So you could have a little restrction.

Soundsl ike you might need to try sipping slower.

Once you have restriction gulping liquids doesnt work very well !

HTH

MIndy

Good call. I called my doctor again and he told me that he put a larger band in than he does for his female patients. No I know not to use a straw. Today was much better and I have not had any nausea. I think it just me getting used to the new me and understanding how my body reacts to Protein, Water, Jello etc. I got all my fluids in today and 1 1/2 Protein Shake. Still struggling with the above the beltline incision hurting but it was a good day. My friends even brought over pizza for my family to eat and boy did it smell wonderful. But I wasn't tempted or hungry. Today was a great day. Thank you everyone..:)