Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3mos - Am I eating too much

hi everyone !! i have a few questions. do you count your weight loss from the day of surgery or pre op appt.?

do you really measure your food? i don't. do you measure veggies too or just the meat?

also...have any of you lost any hair? my hair feels thinner, and it really bothers me, just wondering if it will get back to normal again.

I know I put too much in my mouth when I am talking to people and stuff then I get sick...I have to learn how to slow it up.

I was banded Aug 5th and I was at the time 216 lbs...the most I weighed right before that was 225 lbs now I think I am 190 lbs. I haven't weighed myself for two weeks...I was weighing everyday and I had to stop. I am losing so very very very slow. Seems like every one else is just dropping weight. I just don't know if it's my age, my menopause or what. lol but I go to the gym I try my best to watch what I eat. I think I am eating right, but I feel like I am not losing weight fast enough. Oh well.

I have to really pay attention now. Until the last fill, I didn't have to pay too much attention to how much I chewed. I do now. I've gotten stuck 2x now. I don't like that. The 1st time I just had to wait it out. The 2nd time I had some papaya enzymes and I chewed those up and it took care of it in no time.

I'm trying not to get too frustrated with the WL but I do. I try really hard to NOT compare my WL with others' but it's hard. I've always been a slow loser so figured that wouldn't change much and I was right! UGH!

hi everyone !! i have a few questions. do you count your weight loss from the day of surgery or pre op appt.?

do you really measure your food? i don't. do you measure veggies too or just the meat?

also...have any of you lost any hair? my hair feels thinner, and it really bothers me, just wondering if it will get back to normal again.

I started my ticker from when I started the program. In my signature tho I made sure to list the different weights so as not to confuse people but notice that people don't always read that part. They just look at the ticker.

I don't measure my food and probably should. I eyeball it. I put a little on my plate and usually stop after that's eaten.

I have been losing copious amounts of hair since I was a few weeks out from surgery. My theory is it's b/c I was dieting so hard several months before surgery. My program required a 10% WL w/little Protein as part of the program. My other theory is that I was lacking Iron. I started a liquid Iron 2 weeks ago and my Hair loss is already decreasing slightly. My Protein after surgery was fine since that was all I could have for the 1st 3 months. So for me, I think my problem was lack of protein/hard dieting leading up to surgery with the Iron deficiency contributing to the problem. I'll see what happens as my Iron levels increase.

And yes, eventually it will grow back. Some people find that the amount of hair they have changes or the texture changes. Some who had straight hair before, now have some waves to it. Others who had curly/wavy hair, now have straight hair! Others have no changes whatsoever once it stops falling out and grows back.

Everyone is different with loss and re-growth and not everyone even loses hair!

My ticker has my highest pre-band weight, which was about a month before surgery. I don't measure food so to speak, but I do give it a good eyeball. Hair loss is a strange topic for me. I can tell it's a bit thinner on top - but what is there is growing faster than it did before...

Brad

I would like to take my weight from before my surgery then it feels like I lost more. But I take my weight from the day I had my surgery. Which is not much weight lose. I am a slow loser too and it's going to take me a long time at least the year. I read everyones things on here and then I figure something must be wrong with me or I am doing something wrong, everyone seems to lose weight so much faster. I can only eat so much, I go to the gym, I drink Water. I don't know what else to do. I know at this point with the Cookies and baking and dinner's it's been harder but that is over now and i didn't do too bad. If I eat too fast or I don't chew it comes right back up anyway. I just want to see some weight lose.....it's driving me nuts.

Hi girls, I thought it was just me who felt like I was eating too much! I have had my third fill last week which is 6.5cc in a 10cc band. I do feel a bit of restriction however I don't think its enough. I can sit down and eat all of my dinner no problem. No matter what is on the plate, I can finish and once I am finish I don't feel satisified. I am not really good with meal ideas & with it being winter it can be a difficult as my dinners are normally mash potatoes with veg and meat. Would anyone out there know where I could obtain some meal ideas or if some of you could give me some examples of the type of things you would have for dinner I would be very grateful.

Would anyone out there know where I could obtain some meal ideas or if some of you could give me some examples of the type of things you would have for dinner I would be very grateful.

This time of year I'm doing a lot of hearty stews and Soups. I like them thicker so I always cut the broth on the Soups that I make.

I get a lot of my ideas from the mags that I get and off food Network's website. I use their search engine a lot. Just type in a main ingredient that you want to use and all kinds of things pop up. You can then narrow the search down to find something that sounds good and is what you can manage in the kitchen (i.e. easy, intermediate, difficult).

I also get ideas from this site in the food and nutrition section. There are tons of recipes on here. I've gotten a few good ones and a few not so good ones! LOL! Some stuff I make up. I love to cook and we get fresh, organic veggies from a local farm so I usually plan around what we're getting in our box that week.

Just gotta get creative. It can be fun too!

that's ok...get this...i've seriously been eating too much. for some strange reason i've been weighing my food on a scale instead of using a measuring cup. :laugh: well my doc set me straight...LOL it's volume as opposed to weight. ooppss! no wonder i'm maintaining at this point. so here goes nothing! now i'm going in the right direction! right now i have 2.5 cc's in my band. have to remember to ask him how big my band is.

take care all...and fight the good fight! :ohmy:

I found that there is some food I can eat and then when I go to eat it again the next day I can't it comes back up. I have to really chew my food. I also stick to Soups and stews allot and yes I love the food network. But I am at a stand point I can't drop any weight I don't know why. I know well I think I am not eating allot. I have a Protein Shake for breakfast...then I finish it a few hours later at work. I have something small for lunch like left overs from last nights dinner...which is usually mashed potaotes, tofu, spinach or Soup nothing big and then a small dinner and sometimes I can't eat so I have a Protein shake. But no weight comes off...I do go to the gym but prob not enough. I just don't know if I am doing something wrong.

I posted this on another thread, but I thought it would fit in equally well here.

I didn't feel much restriction until my 4th fill about 4 months out; that wasn't quite enough and my 5th fill about 5 months out finally gave me enough restriction that I began to understand what people meant by the "sweet spot".

You will stay hungry for about the first 2-4 weeks until your stomach gets adjusted to the new limited amounts. After that, you will still have head hunger issues and/or desire to eat larger portions than you should, until you reach the "sweet spot". Once at the sweet spot, even if you crave something and give in, just a small amount goes a long way. Of course that doesn't apply to "liquid" food.

I had a lot of questions and doubts initially because I really did think this was the easy way out prior to surgery. I was self-pay so I didn't have to jump through all the hoops and go through all the classes, etc. Had I done so, I might not have gone through the surgery. Now, I am so glad I did go through with the surgery but I admit I went through it blind.

In looking back, I realize the first 3 months were the toughest because the band isn't working at its optimum level (at least for me). Don't fool yourselves into thinking you can get bigger fills to get more restriction early -- that's a dangerous road to band slippage or even worse, erosion. Let your mind, body and band have the time it needs to get to know each other and become a healthy team.

I found that there is some food I can eat and then when I go to eat it again the next day I can't it comes back up. I have to really chew my food. I also stick to Soups and stews allot and yes I love the food network. But I am at a stand point I can't drop any weight I don't know why. I know well I think I am not eating allot. I have a Protein shake for breakfast...then I finish it a few hours later at work. I have something small for lunch like left overs from last nights dinner...which is usually mashed potaotes, tofu, spinach or Soup nothing big and then a small dinner and sometimes I can't eat so I have a Protein Shake. But no weight comes off...I do go to the gym but prob not enough. I just don't know if I am doing something wrong.

Lisa, I would start by journaling everything you eat, drink, as well as all of your activities. Then determine your basal metabolic rate (google it) and after a week or so what you're burning vs. what your intaking and make adjustments. Fitday is a great tool for this but there are also many others.

In the meantime, it sounds like you're still having trouble eating consistantly. You may want to discuss a partial unfill with your doc. It sounds as though you may be only eating a small amount of calories. That would cause the initial quick weight loss, followed by a plateau. Once your body activates the starvation response your metabolism slows and you burn less and less calories. Some very educational reading is an ebook called "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tom Venuto. It will explain in detail what you seem to be experiencing and what to do about it. The problem for you at this point, however, is that you'll need to eat more - a lot more. And exercise a lot more as well, with a focus on intense cardio - not just cardio - intense cardio.

Good luck!

Brad