Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

I am so glad I chose to stay local beacuse I ended up with revision surgery. The port flipped, it can happen when you heal. Glad it's dealt with now.

HOLY CRAP!! How much does this surgery cost?!?! I got the explanation of benefits a few weeks ago--16000, from my insurance company, they wrote off all but about 1400, and paid that, my share of the 1400 was 550. Which the Drs. office accepted. Then TODAY I get an Explanation of benefits again from my insurance...this one for 69000!! THAT'S right--three zeroes! They paid 65000, wrote off the rest. I call the dr. and they tell me, oh thats for the surgicenter, the first 16000 was just for the dr. You're telling me I was in their office for five hours, 2 of that in surgery and it was 81000!!!! No wonder the insurance costs keep rising. Man, I'm totally shocked! Thank God I've got good insurance. I don't know how you self payers do it!

Wow! I dont think that Dr. will have many self pays! My Dr. only charges $11,500 for the whole thing: his fee and the hospital, everything except anesthesia which came separtely for something around $900 i think it was. I've never heard of a lap band being over $15,000 total, but as my insurance covered mine, too, I didnt really do much looking. But I must say i'm shocked at those costs!!!

I have a question, also, to place here for those that want to reply. I see sometimes that people talk about the inches they've lost. (and yes, i'm tracking mine, also). I dont know if there's a standard way to do this or if every site just makes up their own.

My question is: What areas of your body are you measuring?

For the site that I found, I measure:

*neck

*chest

*waist

*hips

*bicep

*wrist

*thigh

Some sites even have the lower arm and calf.

Thanks!

I have a question, also, to place here for those that want to reply. I see sometimes that people talk about the inches they've lost. (and yes, i'm tracking mine, also). I dont know if there's a standard way to do this or if every site just makes up their own.

My question is: What areas of your body are you measuring?

For the site that I found, I measure:

*neck

*chest

*waist

*hips

*bicep

*wrist

*thigh

Some sites even have the lower arm and calf.

Thanks!

Mine is arm, chest, waist, hip and thigh.

PLease Help......... Had op in Nov 08, and haven't lost one pound....... OK I haven't gained any weight, which is good, but I was hoping to lose, should I be able to eat, or am I just not suppose to, should it be the band that stops me, or my will power.............had two fills total, 5cc. this evening I ate baked potato, chicken and veg, maybe 21/2 + cups, and had a drink, cranberry. have I stretched by pouch?? has my band moved, was it ever fitted right??? I should have been able to lose from the start.......shouldn't I?????

HELP.........have I harmed myself, do I have any hope???

waiting in anticipation for advise.

Anna

Well, you are only two pounds below me in terms of weight loss, so I am kind of confused why you would be that discouraged! I have had more aggressive fills but obviously they have not resulted in more aggressive, faster weight loss. You should take heart from that. I have lost 27 pounds, you have lost 25. Not much difference there.:thumbup:

If you think you have problems!! here's mine.....

PLease Help......... Had op in Nov 08, and haven't lost one pound....... OK I haven't gained any weight, which is good, but I was hoping to lose, should I be able to eat, or am I just not suppose to, should it be the band that stops me, or my will power.............had two fills total, 5cc. this evening I ate baked potato, chicken and veg, maybe 21/2 + cups, and had a drink, cranberry. have I stretched by pouch?? has my band moved, was it ever fitted right??? I should have been able to lose from the start.......shouldn't I?????

Anna

Anna

Anna,

Most of us have lost through sheer willpower. However, are you drinking while you are eating? That's a big no no....it just washed the food through your band. No drinking till at least 30 mins after you eat. Did your doc use a fluoroscope when he filled you? If so, he would've seen if the pouch was stretched or if the band wasn't placed right.

I think you are the exception. Sounds like you can eat more than most. You should only be able to eat 1 cup or so of food and not drink. Is there a support group where you had your surgery? Sounds like you need to talk to someone about your situation. I wish you well in finding out what the problem is.

I have literally done that...gone to the meat case and lined up 15, 20, 25 lbs of pork loin or brisket. I look forward to doing it! It really makes a great visual on how much weight has been lost when I feel discouraged by a slight gain or by not losing as fast as I would like. Its also very motivating to then use my grocery shopping time to put good, healthy foods in my basket and leave the tempting stuff out (for me that is chips and crackers!)

JMS, that sounds MISERABLE. :ohmy: I am so sorry your fill was not a good experience. I hope the swelling calms down and it still results in decent restriction for you. I really have been so so lucky so far, no PBing, no vomiting, no getting stuck and so far never too tight. *knocks wood*. Let us know how are you doing.

I feel better today and I think it is going to be ok. I will stay on liquids another day and then start soft foods and see how I tolerate them. I did get my meds down today. I was very happy to wake up and feel fairly normal. I just took small sips all morning as I felt very tight. Hopefully it will loosen up some in the next week, like after my first fill, and I will drop 4 or 5 pounds again in the meantime!! Good luck to you. You have been very fortunate! You have had many more fills, but your Dr must be very conservative with them whereas mine is aggressive. I am self pay so I liked that idea, but not overdoing!! At least I didn't have to pay for an unfill!

Good visit at the doc's office yesterday. They are so positive, encouraging and upbeat. He said I definitely need a fill but that they will start to be smaller and smaller now as we "tweak" the band.

He put in .6 cc, bringing me to 7.1 cc in my 10 cc band. But the Water took 15 seconds to pass all the way through the band and that made him nervous that I would be too tight, so he took .2 cc back out. So now I have 6.9 cc.

What's amazing is I finally have really awesomely good restriction!! Protein Shakes are filling me FULL feeling and I stay that way for hours. I am excited. I may stay on liquids for a few days, since obviously I am quite tight. But it feels fantastic. I have started mixing 2 TBSP of Peanut Butter into a chocolate Atkins shake...super yummy and satisfying and leaves me feeling like I ate a whole meal.

Down 2.5 lbs this morning..he said I would probably drop 3-5 pounds this week from this fill and a steady 2-3 pounds a week for the next month, and to come in sooner if my restriction fades again..he said it might. Otherwise he wants to see me in a month.

When I was using the powder Protein mixes, I often mixed the peanut butter in. It adds so much flavor and overpowers the protein smell! It's the best!!

My doc has been pretty aggressive with the fills but has a good system for determining how much to put in. I went back to solids last night and WOW, I ate next to nothing! It was awesome!

Hi everyone! Had my third fill on Friday, only 1 cc, which brings me up to 8 ccs in a 10cc band. Dont feel much different. I did talk to my PA about calories, he had just attended a nationwide conference regarding the Realize band, and they want their doctors to be pretty agressive in their fills as soon as possible. He advised me caloric intake should be about 1000 calories a day, and should be exercising a minimum of 4 days a week, an hour a day. Strength training is a must, to keep the muscle and skin tightened to prevent saggy skin.

My doc has been pretty aggressive with the fills but has a good system for determining how much to put in. I went back to solids last night and WOW, I ate next to nothing! It was awesome!

I had Soup and oatmeal along with my Protein Shake yesterday. I tried eating a few nuts today (not the easiest food I guess) and started throwing up again......even Water. I guess I will stay on liquids today and keep on soft foods a few days longer and go back for another unfill if it doesn't loosen up.

I think it takes a lot of willpower too. Stay away from sweets, bread, Pasta, rice & potatoes.

My Dr. also said stay away from the Protein Shakes. No liquid calories.

Once your band is filled more, you will feel it and won't be able to eat everything. If you do it will feel worse than eating at Thanksgiving with no more room for anything.

Walking really helps too.