Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How are the banded Notorious Novembers???

Don't feel that way. It's so strange how all the doctor's handle their patients. Mine wants to get you to your spot ASAP. I like it, only to get the tightness- but then I went and over did it and they had to take more out. Now I will have to go in again next week to get back where I was before my last fill. Good thing I don't live too far from his office. At least I can write it off on my taxes next year. lol

Congrats, gentylwind. You are lucky to have the dr. you have. I have had ONE fill and have to wait until 3/18 for my second. You and I had surgery on the same day, so you can see the difference. My dr. says fills can be no closer than 8 weeks apart. It is very frustrating. I am doing this without the help of my band and it is very, very slow. It will be six months, at least, before I am where you are. Maybe I could come see your dr. for fills (j/k) :-) Glad to see you are happy with your decision to have surgery. At this point, I am sorry I had mne. At least before, I didn't expect to lose a measurable amount of weight. Now, I just feel like a BIG FAT FAILURE AGAIN!

Well, you are only two pounds below me in terms of weight loss, so I am kind of confused why you would be that discouraged! I have had more aggressive fills but obviously they have not resulted in more aggressive, faster weight loss. You should take heart from that. I have lost 27 pounds, you have lost 25. Not much difference there.:smile:

But, have you been hungry all the time? Or, have the fills helped you? I have no restriction and it gets harder everyday. I can't have a fill until 3/18 and that is a long way off. I just thought it would be easier than this. I thought the band was going to help me stay full longer on less food. I don't want to be hungry all the time. Maybe I am just expecting too much, too soon. I am going to try the 5 day pouch test and see if that helps. Thanks for the encouragement and I hope this fill puts you right where you need to be. I want everyone to find the sweet spot as quickly as possible. We have all suffered with food addiction for long enough.

I do think you are expecting too much too soon. I have struggled with a lot of hunger. Its not until these last two fills done in the last month that I have felt anything near restriction, and have yet to find the sweet spot myself, though I can feel I am now getting close. But in terms of being a food addict, believe me when I tell you even when I am feeling restriction I am still struggling with all my food addiction issues. The band makes it easier to eat less when my head is in the right place. Its not always in the right place. I am hoping that as I lose weight and experience life as a lighter and more attractive person that my food issues will be easier to reform. But you should be proud of yourself and how far you have come. The band was never ever meant to be a fast track. Remind yourself of that often. We are both on pace to have lost 100 lbs by this time next year. The year is going to pass one way or another. We'll be glad we were patient when it gets here and we are lighter.

I agree that your doctor is way too conservative. My doc considers himself to be conservative and I just laugh at him. He's pretty aggressive compared to most, but not dangerously so. I saw where you are switching doctors. I hope that helps you. But be prepared...even when you get restriction, its still VERY hard.

I didn't switch doctors after all. I met with one who was not very nice and said I had made my choice, now live with it. He makes my doctor look like a dream. Apparently the person scheduling the appointments at the new doctor didn't understand their policy. Or, the doctor was having a bad day. In any case, I am awaiting my fill with my conservative surgeon on 3/18. I know you are right. The year will come and go...it is what I choose to do with the time that counts. I think I have just let my head get in a bad, failure mindset and it isn't good for me. Thanks for straightening me out. Head hunger is a big part and I have to fight it, consistently and constantly. I can do all things through Christ, Who strengthens me. I am anxious to see how your journey progresses, Gentylwind. As you say, this time next year, we will all be in a different place.:smile:

Just really caution yourself against letting your mind think the band is the solution. Its not. It doesn't help the head issues in the slightest. I had a horrible week of eating poorly last week. This week I am doing better. I seem to cycle around.

You are only a failure if you give up. If you keep telling yourself you are a failure, you WILL give up. So stop it. Practice patience. Do what you are supposed to at least 80% of the time. Get out and walk. Go lift five 5 lb bags of potatoes and walk around the store for a minute. Feel now different it is. Pull out 25 lbs worth of pork loin in the meat case (or brisket, both work). Look at it. Hold it up to yourself if you want. THAT is how much you have lost. Feel it. Hoist it. Be proud of it. Its no small thing to shed 25 lbs. Doesn't matter if it took you two months or two years to do it.

You are so right. The visuals really help. 25 lbs. is a lot and I should be proud. I am proud. I can do this. I just need a little support once in awhile. It is easy to get down on yourself when the scale has stopped moving. But as Wynona says, " I am so much more than a number on a scale." I just needed a lift to get my head in the right place. 25 lbs. is a lot to lose and I haven't gained any back so that is a positive. Thanks, Gentylwind, for the support. We can all get through this time together. Before long we will be on the other end of this journey.

I like the short goal you have posted but could not figure out how to have 2 weight loss tickers can you tell me how to do this.

Thanks Cathy

Hi,

I actually had to create two on their website, with different passwords. then, it worked great. Good luck! I like having the little goals to strive for, and also track the big one! I saw one with a weight tracker and a countdown to their wedding. THAT was a good one! I was just married last July and wish i'd started this process a year early. But i'm here now and losing weight and getting healthy and thats the main goals!

Good luck!

Wow lcwils01, sounds like the second doc was kind of a weenie huh? I would stay far away from him for sure. Always demand respect! :smile:

I am sorry if I missed it, but did you ask your surgeon for a bump up in your next fill date? Did you explain the troubles you are having? He must have his reasons for the wait in between fills...but I agree that they aren't very flexible or accommodating. That is a long wait, especially when you are battling your appetite! Hang in there...we all have the 'hurry up and wait' syndrome. We get so excited about the surgery that afterwards we are like..."Hey, is this it?"

gentylwind, say Hi to Allen for me. I went to HS there many many many many (ok not that many) years ago.

I ha dmy port fixed today. Two surgeries since Nov 5. I am still glad that I was banded. It has been harder than I thought in terms of eating slower. I throw up at least once-2 times per week. The dr filled my band with 4.5, as this was my first fill since I was banded. I am doing a clear diet today, puree tomorrow, then soft to full. Hopefully Ill get some restictionand loose more weight.

Weight to date

No preop required

Nov 5/09 surgery date=198

1st follow up=183 (-15)

Jan /08 2nd follow up (after xmas)=186 (gained 3=-12)

feb 11/09 port surgery=181 (-17 total)

What happened to your port? My mother in law is having hers looked at again down in Mexico. She had surgery last July and lost 44 pounds. Now she has gained most of it back. They think she has a hole/slow leak or the port itself is broken. Not saving much money now going to Mexico.

Well, I woke up this morning and could not even keep Water down after my fill yesterday. I tried a hot drink and really started heaving fluids for a couple hours. I had to go in for an unfill. He took out .5 of my 1.5 cc fill. I still may be too tight, but it may be from all the stress of this morning. I have to do liquids for two more days now instead of one after all that. I was down 3 pounds in 24 hours and that is NOT the way I want to lose weight. It was horrible and painful. Yesterday water and Protein Shakes went down fine after the fill. I wasn't expecting it. I hope I don't have to go back again. I don't like that needle and today left me a whole lot more sore than the first.

AngieAngel, I did demand respect. I told the dr. that the front desk person scheduled the appt, so he should do a better job of training his staff. Also, that we had both wasted our time and that I wanted a refund of my copay and no claim to be filed, since all he did was shake my hand and insult me. They did that and I told the scheduler how rude he had been. She offered to schedule me with another dr in the practice, but I declined after the first dr. My dr makes no exceptions...8 weeks between fills, no sooner. The nasty dr. did say I was right where I should be at this point, so I feel better about that. I just didn't realize that it was going to take up to six months to get much help from my band. At our seminar, they spoke as if you immediately were only able to eat 1/2 cup food at the most. They never said it was a suggestion or that it was due only to willpower. Well, its a new day and I get to spend it with my beautiful granddaughters, so all is good. They love me, bumps and all. They are my main reason for having surgery....to see them grown. Good luck to everyone today!:biggrin:

Just really caution yourself against letting your mind think the band is the solution. Its not. It doesn't help the head issues in the slightest. I had a horrible week of eating poorly last week. This week I am doing better. I seem to cycle around.

You are only a failure if you give up. If you keep telling yourself you are a failure, you WILL give up. So stop it. Practice patience. Do what you are supposed to at least 80% of the time. Get out and walk. Go lift five 5 lb bags of potatoes and walk around the store for a minute. Feel now different it is. Pull out 25 lbs worth of pork loin in the meat case (or brisket, both work). Look at it. Hold it up to yourself if you want. THAT is how much you have lost. Feel it. Hoist it. Be proud of it. Its no small thing to shed 25 lbs. Doesn't matter if it took you two months or two years to do it.

Gentyl--great analogy. When I visualized how much 25 lbs of meat is, it made me feel a lot better! That's a big hunk of fat! Thank you.

I have literally done that...gone to the meat case and lined up 15, 20, 25 lbs of pork loin or brisket. I look forward to doing it! It really makes a great visual on how much weight has been lost when I feel discouraged by a slight gain or by not losing as fast as I would like. Its also very motivating to then use my grocery shopping time to put good, healthy foods in my basket and leave the tempting stuff out (for me that is chips and crackers!)

JMS, that sounds MISERABLE. :biggrin: I am so sorry your fill was not a good experience. I hope the swelling calms down and it still results in decent restriction for you. I really have been so so lucky so far, no PBing, no vomiting, no getting stuck and so far never too tight. *knocks wood*. Let us know how are you doing.