Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Maybe this will help you with MOTIVATION

I've read a few books (Successful Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Clients/ Life after the Gastic Lap-Band/ Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies/ Before and After) and I noticed one really interesting fact.

As weight loss patients, we have this amazing window of opportunity that ranges between 7 and 10 months for us to maximize our weight loss goals! The books say that after that, the chance of meaningful weight loss like that experienced just after the surgery is greatly diminished.

That information is all I need to keep my butt in gear! I actually can't wait until Monday, so I can finally get back on the recumbent exercise bike :thumbup:

Good luck to everyone on your amazing journey.

Whilst *technically* the band has no window as do other surgeries, I'd agree that it has. That first 12 months was phenomenal, I've never lost weight as steadily as that before. It wasnt amazingly fast or anything but steady and dependable. I'd encourage anyone to really make the most of their fist year.

I'd say the window is as much a result of our own motivations as anything physical. I'd like to lose another 5kg (12lb give or take) and it seems ridiculous that I've been trying for a year to do it. But the reality is, I'm already thin and I just dont have the motivation to care enough to really put some effort in like I did when I felt fat, disgusting and out of shape.

ugh...I hit my 1 year mark today and while I am happy with where I am at I still need to lose more. gotta keep going and keep pushing!!!

It's not just you... everyone does look amazing! :thumbup:

I was hoping to find some interesting books about this journey but never got around to ordering them. Thanks for the great motivation!! :smile2:

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree and recommend that you do what you can to MAXIMIZE your weight loss in the first 6-8 months....especially if you have companion issues that normally inhibit weight loss like menopause, anti-depressants, PCOS, etc.

You will also be highly motivated during this time with the newness of it all as well as the 'rapid' weight loss....so, YES, by all means..... make those first months count!!!

I met with my surgeon this past Wednesday and he did state this himself. He said he is very aggressive with fills the first year, because its far more likely to come off the first 6-8 months than it is later. He doesn't know why but he does see the pattern. So just thought I would throw it in there that my doctor backs this data up.

Whilst *technically* the band has no window as do other surgeries, I'd agree that it has. That first 12 months was phenomenal, I've never lost weight as steadily as that before. It wasnt amazingly fast or anything but steady and dependable. I'd encourage anyone to really make the most of their fist year.

I'd say the window is as much a result of our own motivations as anything physical. I'd like to lose another 5kg (12lb give or take) and it seems ridiculous that I've been trying for a year to do it. But the reality is, I'm already thin and I just dont have the motivation to care enough to really put some effort in like I did when I felt fat, disgusting and out of shape.

That's what i've heard about the lap-band as well ,that there is no "shut off" point.I've heard that the bypass you have a certain amount of time to lose the most weight in.

I suspect many people lose their initial motivation. Other than that, I don't believe the band has that limitation as you can always have the Fluid level tweaked.

I know I can't get where I need to go in a few months, it will take me a couple of years to get there, most likely. I plan to keep at it as long as it takes. Period.

You will certainly get there :thumbs_up: ! I can tell you're someone who has a very positive attitude and that will take you far.

I honestly have no idea how long it will take me to achieve my goal. My goal ultimately is to be around 150-160 but I will be happy also with being around 180. Seriously. I don't expect to be model thin ,I just want to be comfy in my own skin.

I hear you on that one! I'll decide on my goal somewhere down the line. Right now I'm just aiming to get under 300 and see a beautiful 2 in front. :thumbs_up:

Baby steps don't seem so intimidating.

I think its easy to lose motivation because once we lose some weight we get excited and comfortable. We settle for what we have lost rather then go for what we are actually capable of losing. I hit my 1 year mark yesterday and there is no way I am stopping now!!! My goal is to be happy and healthy...im not sure what that number will be on the scale but I am not stopping until I get there. I have a lot of fill room left in my band so there is no reason to give up

Well, it has more to do with lowering levels of Leptin than anything else. It's not all about motivation or Fluid levels in the band, unfortunately. The other bad thing is that there's not much you can do to raise Leptin levels either, but it is a subject of intense study.

Battle Of The Bulge: Low Leptin Levels Undermine Successful Weight Loss