Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you decide?

I met with the surgeon last week, and he did not sound very enthusiastic about the lap band procedure. I felt like he was really pushing the gastric bypass. . . which I do not want!

Is ther anyone out there who can share their experience with deciding between the bypass and the lap band?

Thanks in advance!

msustu,

I personally couldn't have gone any other way than the band. The others were too invasive for me to be comfortable with. Also, I think the surgeons take into consideration how much you have to lose among other things, and some surgeons specialize more in one surgery than another. Its ultimately your decision. Good luck on your journey.

A pros and cons list. Well, the pros are pretty much the same, so skip that. Just make a cons list for both. That's how I decided. And make sure you find a surgeon who specializes in the band.

Just last month I was where you are, not knowing which to surgery to choose. Actually accept I had a hard time trying to get a doctor to recommend one over the other. All I kept hearing was what feels most comfortable to me is the right decision. This was extremely frustrating when you have a significant amount of weight to lose and a laundry list of medical problems to go along with it. But in the end they're right, even though the bypass would give me faster results, I didn't want my plumbing rearranged. :w00t: The pro and con list basically just confirmed for me that I made the right decision. My cardiologist told me the same thing, it wasn't until I told him that I had made up my mind for the most part but I needed to know from him if there was any medical reason why I should choose one over the other that he gave me his own opinion. I've made my choice and I meet with the surgeon next month. Basically you have to live your life after this choice and you should make a choice that YOU comfortable no one else. I wish you the best of luck. :w00t:

My doctor was much more into Rny than Band (He himself had RnY) but as a doctor in knowledge and bed-side manners I fell in love with him. He respected my decision to go with the band, but he did his fair share of saying why he prefers RnY & thought I would benefit more going that road.

I was very optimistic about the band regardless, and his nurse said she thinks I made a good candidate with that attitude.

I lost 120lbs in 1.5 years, and now I'm pregnant and have gained back 17lbs so far (argh), but the band has made my weight loss pretty effortless as long as I got my fills & didn't eat slider foods.

I am still optimistic once I have my baby, I will be able to take the weight off I am gaining, and finish getting to goal. I was 30lbs from goal when I found out I was pregnant.

That being said, it's not for everyone. I know of another girl I've run into at his office during appointments, she's around my age.. banded 2 months before me and when I had lost 70lbs, she was gushing about having lost 10lbs (I guess this was somewhere around 8 months post op for me, 10 months post op for her). I don't know what she was doing different, but it's true that it can.. "not work" for some.

I have decided to go with the Lap Band because the surgery is less involved, a lot less cutting and recoup time. I like that it is adjustable and that due to the "measured" weight loss, there is time for me to work out so that my skin isn't hanging.

No judgement, everyone has there own journey, wish you the best

Good luck, I think most of the surgeons try and push gastric bypass, I believe it has to do with how much commitement you are willing to put it in. If you are ready to change your lifestyle for a healthier you then you have made the right decision with the band! What surgeon are you using? I live about 20 miles from your city. January 23 will be the beginning of the better you!

The insurance company made the decision for me. I was still pondering which surgery I wanted when the approval letter came for the lap band. I went with it.

I sometimes wonder if the by-pass would have been a better choice, however, I'm 62 lbs down in 8 months and hope to be 80 down in 12 months, and at goal in 24 months.