Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any December '08 Bandsters?

I have my surgery on 12/1 and have been on the liquid diet for 5 days now, from what I have heard some people do well with it and some people have trouble. My biggest problem was wanting to chew something, so I went out and bought 5 packs of sugar free gum... my doc said that as long as I don't swallow it, that I can chew as much as I like, lol. Just whatever you do, don't cheat... the purpose is to shrink your liver and reduce the amount of fatty tissue. If your liver does not shrink then it is hard for the surgeon to work because it is large and not flexible and he may not be able to perform the surgery. Good luck with everything!! Today was the first day that all of my cravings stopped, so once you get going it will get better.

Went to my first informational meeting 11/11, have seen the Nutritionist, had my Upper G I done today, and am scheduled to get banded 12/23. I still need to get the Behavioral Evaluation and see the Anastesiologist 12/08.

Hi Pete! I am getting banded on December 4th! I am starting the dreaded 2 week pre-op diet tomorrw. I am really scared and excited at the same time. I just don't want to fail like I have with everything else....Good Luck to you!:smile2:

i made it through day 3 but was starting to get a little antsy.. maybe it is the chewing thing..sf gum.. that is a good idea... might try that tomorrow if i go a little wacky on the diet tomorrow.. thanks for the post!

Hi,My banding is Dec 1st. Am anxious and nervous about the whole thing. i am as ready as possible and the forum helps s lot. ...

I just got my date Dec 18th , im so excited my insurance approved me in 2weeks UHC POS.

Okay, I'm on day 6 of the 2 week pre-op diet. 2 weeks of four Protein Shakes a day(must have 10g Protein for every 100cal) and a structured meal (i have a healthy choice meal) and no more than 1100-1200 cal a day total. I've lost 10 pounds in six days!!! I'm sure some of that is Water weight and I did gain weight right before I started the diet due to "last meals", but I'm proud of myself because I've been sticking with it. The first two days were horrendous. I really wanted to chew off my arm. After that, it's been smooth sailing. I really haven't even thought about food. I have to remind myself to drink the protein shakes. I did the upper GI and ekg and have to meet back with my Dr. on Tuesday to go over the results and get instructions for the surgery, but 8 days to go and I'll be banded!!!!

Okay, I'm on day 6 of the 2 week pre-op diet. 2 weeks of four Protein Shakes a day(must have 10g Protein for every 100cal) and a structured meal (i have a healthy choice meal) and no more than 1100-1200 cal a day total. I've lost 10 pounds in six days!!! I'm sure some of that is Water weight and I did gain weight right before I started the diet due to "last meals", but I'm proud of myself because I've been sticking with it. The first two days were horrendous. I really wanted to chew off my arm. After that, it's been smooth sailing. I really haven't even thought about food. I have to remind myself to drink the protein shakes. I did the upper GI and ekg and have to meet back with my Dr. on Tuesday to go over the results and get instructions for the surgery, but 8 days to go and I'll be banded!!!!

Wow! I am on my second day of pre-op and my pre-op diet is way worse then yours. I can only have 30 gr of carbs and 60 gr. protein a day. I looked at Healthy Choice dinners and they start at 35 gr of carb's. I 'm having a hard time finding a meal other than the shakes. Any ideas?

My surgery is scheduled for 12/29. I started the process in July. I am nervous, but very excited! I wish it was yesterday. I have a very large hiatal hernia that is going to be fixed that day. Anyone else have this problem? Any advice? :laugh:

Hi there Pete!... I'm scheduled for Dec. 2. Last week I had my endoscopy (all clear)... I am really excited and really scared. It's been a long time since I've really had to watch what I eat and, I have to go two weeks, post-op, on Clear Liquids then, pureed for another 2 weeks. Can't say I like pain either (even though I know it's only for a couple of days). I'm really excited also. I can't go up and down stairs because of my bad knees and I get winded.... everything I do at this point is a struggle-even getting up off of the couch is a chore! Sad, ain't it. Those are the things I'll be glad to get rid of. And, getting rid of this Albatrose (my excess body weight) will make it all worth while. Good luck to you and enjoy Mexico:thumbup:

Hey...I just got the word that there is an opening for surgery on 2 DEC and I've got it!!! This short notice is a good thing...no time to get too scared. I've been approved for more than 6 months but had to wait for the Dr.to finish training and get certified on the Realize Band. She's been doing laproscopic gastric bypass surgery a long time, but I'll be one of her first lapband patients. I'm o.k. with it! But then, I'm 59 and have never been in the hospital or had surgery of any kind, so maybe I'm just overly confident.

Hey Pete and other December '08 bandsters,

My surgery has been scheduled for December 11th. I begin my pre-op diet Dec.2nd. I'm ready to begin a new and healthier life. I'm a little bit anxious about the surgery,but excited too. I hope I do well. With my other health problems, the risk of complications scare me. Good Luck on yours and stay in touch.:laugh: