Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any December '08 Bandsters?

I talked w/my Dr and she would not refer me, so I decided to do it myself. I made an appt. w/her again for 12/2 and if she does not give me one I will change Dr. But I really want to talk w/Bariatric to see if I do it on my own if I am able to do the fills thru them or what? I should have done this when I had Blue cross. But lost them last yr due to work coverage. I left Kaiser 9 yrs ago and really hate having the m again but it is what it is. Fremont Kaiser is hard to get what you want. But I guess I will find out Tuesday.

It sounds like the problem is your primary care doc. Some are for it and some are against it, you just have to find one that you see eye to eye with. I hope your appt goes well and you can convince her to refer you. Keep us posted!

This is unusual ... I started this journey a few years ago when I was only a 35 BmI and my doctor was all for it ...I think he said they age I was 47 I would be gaining as usually a person becomes less active. In fact every doc I every spoke to was all for it. But try telling a non medical person and they try to talk me out of it?? Go figure...what is your BMI?

SuzeQ how long did it take you to get approval w/kaiser? Did you regular Dr. give you the referral?

I didn't have much trouble with Kaiser. I told my regular doctor that I wanted to have surgery and she said it was a long process and that I had to start with the nutrionist. Six months of meeting with her and a requirement to lose 3% of my body weight. She also referred me for the psychiatrist visit and to the sleep center. When it was found that I had sleep apnea, it pretty much sealed the deal...2 co-morbidity conditions. The nutritionist actually submitted the paperwork to the board that apprved the surgery. It took ME 9 months from the day I first talked to my doctor about it..At the time, VA kaiser wasn't doing lapband, only gastric bypass, so I delayed some while they made the decision and approved a surgeon. I didn't make all my appointments with the nutritionist on time. and it took another month to get the board's approval.(I could have gone to Maryland where it was already approved, but I liked the idea of going to GWU. Then, I had to wait for the surgeon to get qualified on the Realize Band, so that took another couple of months. It's been 15 months since I started the process...I've had plenty of time to question my decision and do lots of extra study, so I'm really ready...(maybe!)

hello to all December Bandsters. I go for my pre-op December 2nd. My surgery is December 11th. I'm self pay and I'm scared I won't be successful or have to have the band removed. My husband's insurance pays for the surgery, but I didn't meet the BMI of 40. Mine was 38. They would consider a lower BMI with co-morbid health problems. I'm Diabetic, high blood pressure,sleep apnea, RA, and hypothyrodism. I hope all of you are successful. Best of luck!!!

Oh 32 is pretty low in their eyes...not overseas though any BMI over 30 is considered for surgery. Here in the US you must be over 35 generally and most surgeons won't touch you where I live in LI if you are under a 40 BMI.

18 days left and i'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/03 pre op testing

12/05 pre op class

12/06 liquid diet :thumbup:

I know thats the problem, Surgeons won't touch you unless your over 40BMI, but if you do the lap band or something else? They want your goal weight to be under 20BMI, Well so do I, I am doing this like many of you, because I have tried everything else with very little results. Good luck and I'll be thinking of you 12/2 let us know how things are going please?

Edited by whtlightning2000

Hey FL Pete -

I am scheduled for surgery Dec 9th. I just discovered this website and I'm so happy I did. Now I can talk to others going through this process. My family is very supportive but it'll be nice to talk to others that understand what I'm going through! :wink2: I've lost 20 lbs on my own so far, I had to lose 15 before I could get the surgery and it took a while but my surgery date is finally getting closer! This will be the best X-Mas ever....:( good luck with your surgery in Mexico! Is everyone as nervous as I am...? :thumbup:

I am being banded on 12/9. Started the pre op diet a week ago. It is rough. I am surprised at how differently the pre op diet is for other people. Looking forard to the big day, cant wait.:thumbup: