Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any December '08 Bandsters?

It's so nice to hear how good you guys are doing.

Can I ask a silly question? When you say the Protein Shakes go down well, are you drinking much of them at one time? Or just tiny sips all day?

The first two days I was religious about taking in 1 ounce every 15 minutes. As you might imagine I spent a great deal of time measuring, sipping and logging.

Today I decided to "live on the edge" a little bit. Instead of measuring every sip, I measured my Protein intake and just sipped other liquids throughout the day.

My doctor wants me on clear fluids for one week until I see him. I am starving and I actually cant wait for the Protein Drinks.< /div>

My Doc will have me on Clear Liquids for a week after surgery, too. I have bought 12 boxes of Sugarfree Jello!!! hee hee! I'm sure I will have to get some chicken broth for some Protein, too. Did your Doc. fill the band when it was placed? Mine does it at the follow-up appt.

Hi, Dec 16 Band here. I am feeling ok. I cannot feel the port though. What side is it usually on?

NO gas....thank God for that.

My Doc will have me on clear liquids for a week after surgery, too. I have bought 12 boxes of Sugarfree Jello!!! hee hee! I'm sure I will have to get some chicken broth for some Protein, too. Did your Doc. fill the band when it was placed? Mine does it at the follow-up appt.

Dont forget sugar free popsicles! they are awesome and help you stay hydrated.

Congrats and Good Luck!

I have just graduated to full liquids and I'm in heaven...:laugh:

Hiya!

Dr. Kuri was excellent. He was very calming and took time to talk to us the day before the surgery and even joked with us. There was 4 of us the day of our surgery and he had met with us a group the night before. My incisions are healing very well and are nice and small. Dr. Kuri has one of the best bed side manners in all the doctors that I have ever seen. He treated me as a person and not as a "patient" so to speak.

The hospital was exceptionally clean and felt more like a hotel rather then a hospital. Fact was the hospital was actually nicer then the hotel we all stayed at the night after.

The staff at the hospital was all very professional and polite. Most of them did not speak a word of english but usually there was one person around that could. If I needed anything there was always someone there who spoke english to assist me.

The one thing I would suggest you do before going to any surgeon outside of the USA is to locate a fill center to get your follow ups and fills at. For me I have to travel about 45 minutes away to get mine done. Others I know have more problems and have to travel further and of course there are those that don't have to travel that far at all.

To sum things up I would have to say it was an excellent experience. I would recommend Dr. Kuri to anyone considering traveling to Mexico for sugery.:laugh:

Pete, I also got banded with Dr. Kuri. My surgery was Dec. 11th and I have to agree with you 100% that the experiece was great:thumbup:. Dr. Kuri is awesome and I am so fortunate to have found him. Good luck in you journey, I'll continue reading on for the support!!!

Hi Everyone -- I was banded on December 9th! The first week was really hard but the 2nd week, I began to feel like a new person!!! It's truly amazing. I lost about 20 pounds pre-op and first week but I have gained about 8 back -- probably due to the fact of just putting food back in my body and post-op swelling and the dreaded surgery gases. If you haven't had surgery yet -- PLEASE be aware of the surgery gases -- they hurt! The only thing that helps it is to move around and get it out however you can.

Question -- anyone have any idea how soon the post op mid-driff swelling goes away? It's so uncomfortable especially after consuming food. More pressure than anything. Would love to know!!! I'm not a very patient patient!!! :laugh:

Merry Christmas to all of you -- I'm so excited that this journey has begun -- and I'm looking forward to getting healthy and thinner with you all......Blessings!

I can drink broth, but right now just looking at it is making me sick. I only have a few more days then I can start w/the Protein drinks. I am looking forward to drinking them. Thank you

After a week without any loss at 1000 calorie a day and 30 workout a day. I decided to switch things up a little and went to 1500 calories and 45 minutes workout, anyway I lost 2 more pounds Yeaa!! coincidence? Maybe,:lol: but I'll take what I can get.:laugh:

Pete, I also got banded with Dr. Kuri. My surgery was Dec. 11th and I have to agree with you 100% that the experiece was great:thumbup:. Dr. Kuri is awesome and I am so fortunate to have found him. Good luck in you journey, I'll continue reading on for the support!!!

Very cool Trey! It's great to meet other Dr. Kuri patients. There is a few of us on here! One friend I have met on here, Saara, actually went for her surgery with Dr. Kuri the same day as I did. Best of luck with your weight loss and living a better and healthier life!:laugh:

A lot of people talk about gaining weight the day of and days after surgery. I think I have figured out why I am losing so fast right away. In my regular high blood pressure medicine is a combination diuretic/something else pill that has really been great at controlling my BP. They told me not to take it the morning of the surgery, but started putting me back on it. I don't think they understood the drug my family doctor game me and they gave me two pills seperating out the Linsopril/hydrochlorothiazide and I think gave me double the Water pill while running my IV's wide open. I couldn't stay in bed 10 minutes without having to urninate and boy did I wear my self out getting up. My BP since I've been home is great, I made my follow up with my regular doctor for 2 weeks from now, I will be down 30 pounds since my last visit. I look forward to getting on the scale.< /p>

PS, I'm definitely feeling some restriction. My wife got me a small Wendy's chile and pureed it for me, I ate half of it and quit when I felt full. I absent mindly took a sip of Crystal light lemonade right after and boy did I feel full! IT was about a 7 on a 1-10 scale of fullness. LESSON LEARNED.

My wife who had the rou-n-Y last May just passed the 100 pound mark and has been wonderful. If couples are planning the surgery, its great to have the partner, but spread your surgery out a month.

Edited by BillOh

this is some of my band story so far...I posted to the other dec forum, but thought I would hit this one too.

Here it is a snowy Saturday in Iowa. I have been banded since wednesday the 17th. That day went pretty fast but then again seemed kinda long also....strange but thats how it seemed. I have had a lot of pain, but I had 2 surgeries, I had my gallbladder out along with the band being put it. Those of you who are scared, don't worry, you will be out like a light and they will give you something to calm you beforehand. I didn't think it was possible there was anyone as scared as me and asking all of these crazy questions, but we all are scared, but it is over and done with before you know it. The 1st 2 days on liquid were good, just stay away from t.v. if you can....sooo much food on t.v. but it hasnt bothered me too much, I don't feel hungry. Today I have eaten a whole small cup (jello-that you buy inthe store) of pudding, slowly, with no problems. I had some grape juice and a sugar free popsicle. I have not had a bm since the day or 2 before surgery...is this normal? Do you think I should take something for this?

I came home the same day as my surgery due to bad weather in my area, and I live about 1.5 hrs from the hospital, they said if I can p and walk I can go home, so I did. It took me a while to get out of the anestesia -- all I wanted to do was sleep after surgery. Sure I had 2nd thoughts threw this whole process, and I still ask myself when I am watching others eat "did I do the right thing?" and my answer is YES YES YES! I am staying at my parents while I recouperate, no way could I be alone, I just can't move and do some stuff for mysefl, but every day is getting easier. I took a shower day 2 after surgery. I felt so much better after that. I have heard that single no kid people like myself tend to heal slower than others who have "someone to heal for" is this true? Kinda like the old addage, that single people don't live as long as married people? I sure am moving slow at it. I had to refill my pain meds already but that is more or less so I wouldnt run out this weekend. I am having to take them about every 3.5-4 hours. When I say pain, it feels like someone kicked or punched me in the stomach about 20 times, then I know its time for pain meds. I feel very good about the surgery and my decision. I would share anything with you all out there...obvoiusly! :tongue: Thanks for all of your support! I am on the other side now! Those of you who are scared, just ask your nurse for something to calm you and you will be alright! and stick to this list!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :tongue_smilie:

and by the way...i cannot do broth at all! yuck!

I use the Ramen noodle seasoning packets to flavor the broth, otherwise it makes me gag. Peppermint caffeine free tea is also a big help!

also, has anyone had any nausea? And what did you take for it? I have had a tiny tiny bit today, and I'm 3 days out from surgery.