Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any December '08 Bandsters?

Hi, This is my first post .........happy to know there are so many Dec bandsters out there--Thanks, Pete for starting the thread---what a wonderful way to begin the new year. I'm scheduled for Dec 4th. and have been glued to this site and others for the past 2 mos.

I HAVE LEARNED A LOT!

I've only told one friend and don't plan to share this with anyone else at this point--I don't want everyone constantly grilling me even if it's with well-meaning intentions.

I'm wondering if there are others

having the surgery who are keeping it quiet.----?

I also don't feel comfortable telling too many people. Although it has gotten easier now that I have my date set and I know this is really happening.

Not sure why, but it was just natural for me to tell everyone. The reactions have ranged from happy to omg you don't need to do that. Interesting that I'm also getting quite a few " You really should wait until after Christmas, think of all the things you'll miss" Like you I'm glued to this site right now. So many questions.

Please let's keep each other updated, it's so helpful.

Hi Pete, I'm scheduled for surgery on December 5th, 2008 also. Mine is in the morning. I can't wait to start living my new journey. I hope all goes well. I've had surgery in the past so I will know about the feeling of pain. I had a lot of pain with my last surgery, so hopefully this will be less. I meet with the surgeon on 11/26. My preop testing is 11/21.

Laurie

Edited by leopardlady44

Hey Pete,

I too am going to be banded on Dec 5th with Dr. Kuri. :cool2: I can't wait to meet you. I am so excited, it's only 4 weeks away. This is my gift to myself. I'm flying in on the 4th for all my testing so maybe we will run into each other!! Good Luck!!:biggrin:

Saara

I know it seems like December is a ways off but really it's just less then two months away. I finalized my surgery date yesterday for Dec. 5th with Dr. Kuri. So are there any others out there with December dates looking for support and help?

I know what you are saying about keeping this quiet. I have been told that I'm 'not that heavy' and 'why would you want to do that just exercise more.. ' Oh, Okay, like I haven't tried that yet. So now I do not say anything. Actually when people ask where I am going for the weekend with my girlfriend I just say we are going to a convention. Sad hugh!!! If people haven't struggled with their weight for any amount of time then they don't know what it is like to be where we are. This was not an easy choice for me, I have thought this through for a year and I've been reading all these forums for over 6 months. So when the weight starts to come off I'm just going to take the compliments in stride and just say 'thank you' and just say that 'I have made some life changes..':tongue_smilie:

Hi, This is my first post .........happy to know there are so many Dec bandsters out there--Thanks, Pete for starting the thread---what a wonderful way to begin the new year. I'm scheduled for Dec 4th. and have been glued to this site and others for the past 2 mos.

I HAVE LEARNED A LOT!

I've only told one friend and don't plan to share this with anyone else at this point--I don't want everyone constantly grilling me even if it's with well-meaning intentions.

I'm wondering if there are others

having the surgery who are keeping it quiet.----?

Hi,

I'm new to the site and I'm loving it so far! So much info. Talked with my coordinator and my surgery date tentatively set for December 12 with Dr, Juan Lopez Covala. I'm excited and scared at the same time. It's a big step,but I know I made the right decision.

Looking forward to the future and meeting great people on this site.

Lili

I feel where you are coming from,keeping it quiet for now. Only certain people will know. Sometimes people,even people who care about you ,have a way of making you feel bad about your decision. My best friend will be right by my side and later after the surgery,I will decide who shall know.

That's the main reason I joined this site since I'm not really telling many people,I need to interact with others in the same boat as me,who will get where I'm coming from.

Lili

I'm almost wishing I hadn't told my daughter. She's begging me to put surgery off until after Christmas. I know she means well, but I'm ready to do this. Anyone else have any problems like that? I find myself feeling guilty for not wanting to wait.....:thumbup:

I know what you mean. My daughter wanted me to wait until after the holidays. It worked out that my surgeon is on vacation the week after Christmas (which was the week that I wanted to have it done). My surgery will now be on the 23rd of December. This works well for me because our workplace is closed for Christmas for 2 weeks beginning on December 22nd. So, I will only miss 2 'real' work days at the beginning of January. After taking to my daughter about this, she completely understands. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, so she is happy that we will have that and we are going to Celebrate Christmas (gifts and meal) on December 20th.

Give your daughter time. She will adjust. =) What is your surgery date?

Lyndz, I was trying for that date too, but now am being banded 2 days before Christmas. We can do it.....and it will totally be worth it!! At least you can get through the holidays. I only have to do a 2 day liquid diet, so it won't be too bad. Some others have to do a few weeks of liquid.

Just keep in mind how great we are going to look and feel next year....and healthy we will be!!!

My surgery date is Dec 9th. I was given the choice of the 9th or the 30th. Honestly I gave it some thought. But then thought I don't want to put this off just to eat more through the Holidays. She's off that week and wants to be able to help with anything I'll need. But really what I need to to get this going.

Even with the pre-op diet which they haven't even talked to me about yet. It's just food. You're right we CAN do this.

Lyndz, I was trying for that date too, but now am being banded 2 days before Christmas. We can do it.....and it will totally be worth it!! At least you can get through the holidays. I only have to do a 2 day liquid diet, so it won't be too bad. Some others have to do a few weeks of liquid.

Just keep in mind how great we are going to look and feel next year....and healthy we will be!!!

I'm stress eating at the moment...afraid my insurance is not going to approve me. Where are you being banded?

Lyndz, IF they don't approve you the first time don't give up. I was not approved at first myself. I just had to put together some info and have my reg. Dr. write a letter. That did the trick. I'd be happy to pass on what she wrote if it came to that. :tongue: