Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Got My Surgery Date...Where Are The November Bandsters?

Well I went out Saturday night and had the glass of wine. No noticeable difference in how I felt. But, Jaime, I'm with you I don't feel restriction, but I'm not really hungry. I don't get my fill till January so hopefully the hunger will stay at bay!

Your surgery was about 3 weeks after mine. So by my calculations, that means you should probably start feeling that nagging hunger within the week. I'm praying you don't if your fill isn't until January!!! :angry_smile: Everyone is different, so you might get lucky and not feel hungry for a month or two after surgeyr.

I got lucky since, when my hunger came back full force, I only had a week to go before my first fill.

Hi Ladies,

The first two weeks after surgery I felt a little nausous and some tight restriction. Now the last week and this week I am back to normal:eek: Like last night I ate a whole large can of tuna mixed with light mayo, FF Cottage cheese, maybe a cup. I thought we were suppossed to stick with like 3-4 oz of food total at a meal:eek: Now tonight I had a cup of FF Refried Beans with FF sour cream and FF shredded cheese and salsa on top. I then ate a cup of steamed vegis with salsa on top and maybe 3/4 cup of FF Cottage Cheese. See I think I am eating way too much, but I really do not feel that "stop or you are going to feel sick feeling"!! Help girls my fill isn't until 1/15. I am still down 24lbs but not budging:sad_smile:

That isn't really the way the band is supposed to work. You are not supposed to eat until you feel restriction, until you feel like you could throw up if you take another bite!. You are supposed to eat only until no longer hungry! To eat until stuffed is only going to cause you problems. Learn to look for the "soft stop". A sniff. A sigh. A hiccup. Eat very very slowly. When the hunger pain goes away, you are done. Stop eating. Get up from the table. No, you won't feel full. You have to learn to redefine what it means to have completed a meal. The "only supposed to eat half a cup" does not refer to what actually can be fit in there. It refers to when you are supposed to stop. If you eat high Protein and low carb, you will not get hungry again for three to four hours. Fullness is not supposed to be defined by literally not able to take another bite. People naturally of a healthy weight stop eating when they are no longer hungry. That is what we are learning to do and what the band is meant to help with. To rely on it to literally physically stop us is not using the band as intended and is going to line you up for slippage and pouch stretching and a lack of satisfactory weight loss results.

I have to ask also, how long is it taking for you to finish that much food? It should take 20-30 minutes to finish half a cup. Frankly, I often stop eating because I am plain old bored and sick of sitting there, and my food is getting cold. Make sure you are taking baby sized bites. Get a baby spoon and use it to eat if you are struggling with this. Put your fork down and wait several minutes between bites to give your body a chance to assimilate how much food it is getting. Are you drinking with your meals? That's a definite no-no too and if you are doing it, could be pushing your food through your stoma and letting you eat more...in essence, sabotaging what you are trying to accomplish here.

Meals should be a time of thought and inner reflection right now. We are relearning old bad habits that lead us to get fat in the first place. Don't let yourself slip into old behavior and expect the band to make it all work out in the end. It won't. You will wind up with complications like so many on this site have. You can do this. Its hard. Its frustrating. Its scary. We are so used to eating until full. Its hard to learn a new way, but you can do it and we are here to help.

Edited by gentylwind

Hi Ladies,

The first two weeks after surgery I felt a little nausous and some tight restriction. Now the last week and this week I am back to normal:eek: Like last night I ate a whole large can of tuna mixed with light mayo, FF Cottage cheese, maybe a cup. I thought we were suppossed to stick with like 3-4 oz of food total at a meal:eek: Now tonight I had a cup of FF Refried Beans with FF sour cream and FF shredded cheese and salsa on top. I then ate a cup of steamed vegis with salsa on top and maybe 3/4 cup of FF Cottage Cheese. See I think I am eating way too much, but I really do not feel that "stop or you are going to feel sick feeling"!! Help girls my fill isn't until 1/15. I am still down 24lbs but not budging:sad_smile:

Good Morning Firedoll, If you are questioning if your eating to much I would ask the Dr's office how much am I supposed to eat and how often. When I left the Hospital I received a packet with directions for each stage.

At the Mushies & Now Regular Food Stage I have been instructed that my Pouch will only hold 2oz of Solid or Fluid at a time. So that is all I'm allowed to eat at a sitting 2OZ.

I have a HUGH problem with self control and if it's there I'm going to eat it. I have to eat my meals while doing something else I can't sit at a table and take a bite..put the fork down... take a bite.. put the fork down.... I don't have the patients. So in order to get around this and give my head time to catch up with my tummy I clean up my meal while eating... take bite, wash a dish, take a bite, clean the stove.... that works for ME. It spaces things out....yes unforunatly your food does go cold:sneaky:but if it doesn't get a little chilli you may be eating to fast.

Restriction is tough for everyone...I'm only allowed 2oz of eggs this am so I st down at the computer and started typing took me 15 min to eat... Find something to do this week inbetween bites and see if it's TIME is the trick.

If after putting time inbetween bites doesn't work I have read a few posts that people have discoverd 3 Meals a day doesn't work for them they have to have 6 small meals a day. This may work for you... My Dr. has prescribed 3 Meals with a 2oz Protein Shake inbetween meals to help with hunger between meals. My shakes are only 110 Calories for 11oz !!! 0 sugar 17gms of Protein only 4gm carbs. so it gives my belly a little something before meals.

I stalk the heck out of my nutritionist because I had a mental break down and I was like this is so F'n confusing I can't remember everything. :angry_smile: BIG HUGS

That isn't really the way the band is supposed to work. You are not supposed to eat until you feel restriction, until you feel like you could throw up if you take another bite!. You are supposed to eat only until no longer hungry! To eat until stuffed is only going to cause you problems. Learn to look for the "soft stop". A sniff. A sigh. A hiccup. Eat very very slowly. When the hunger pain goes away, you are done. Stop eating. Get up from the table. No, you won't feel full. You have to learn to redefine what it means to have completed a meal. The "only supposed to eat half a cup" does not refer to what actually can be fit in there. It refers to when you are supposed to stop. If you eat high Protein and low carb, you will not get hungry again for three to four hours. Fullness is not supposed to be defined by literally not able to take another bite. People naturally of a healthy weight stop eating when they are no longer hungry. That is what we are learning to do and what the band is meant to help with. To rely on it to literally physically stop us is not using the band as intended and is going to line you up for slippage and pouch stretching and a lack of satisfactory weight loss results.

I have to ask also, how long is it taking for you to finish that much food? It should take 20-30 minutes to finish half a cup. Frankly, I often stop eating because I am plain old bored and sick of sitting there, and my food is getting cold. Make sure you are taking baby sized bites. Get a baby spoon and use it to eat if you are struggling with this. Put your fork down and wait several minutes between bites to give your body a chance to assimilate how much food it is getting. Are you drinking with your meals? That's a definite no-no too and if you are doing it, could be pushing your food through your stoma and letting you eat more...in essence, sabotaging what you are trying to accomplish here.

Meals should be a time of thought and inner reflection right now. We are relearning old bad habits that lead us to get fat in the first place. Don't let yourself slip into old behavior and expect the band to make it all work out in the end. It won't. You will wind up with complications like so many on this site have. You can do this. Its hard. Its frustrating. Its scary. We are so used to eating until full. Its hard to learn a new way, but you can do it and we are here to help.

Thank you so much for waking me up to how this is supposed to work! See when I felt all that restriction in the first two weeks I thought that was how it was going to be, and that this would be easy if I felt like that everytime I ate! So that reassures me that this is normal for me to want to eat if "I CAN". NO I am not drinking anything while eating. That I am real strict with. Just hungry and eating as it tastes so good. I am not eating as much as I used too, just a little more than I thought I would be able too until I get that satisfied feeling. This is what people do without the band and loose weight.....stop when you feel satisfied. See I thought the band would help me to reach that satisfied state....KWIM???

It does help you reach it sooner, without a doubt, but to use it to monitor when we are full by getting to the point of PBing on a regular basis (or nearly) is dangerous to our band. You have a fantastic attitude...restriction definitely helps, you are right. But some of it is also up to us to relearn better habits. I am amazed at how long I have been able to go without being hungry between meals now that I know what real "hungry" feels like. Its hard when you CAN eat more not to do so...to us, satisfied means "full". But really, satisfied is supposed to mean "not hungry".

Yesterday was not my strongest day. But I am rededicated today and doing well. It definitely is a pleasure, the way food tastes and feels in my mouth. I am struggling with it, but winning the struggle a lot of the time right now (90% of the time!) simply for fear of messing up the good thing I have going and now also because my clothes are starting to be too big! I am dropping weight since my surgery to the tune of 5 lbs per week. Won't stay that fast, but I want to take advantage of it as long as I can!

You are doing great...just keep evaluating and studying yourself, tweaking this and that, and do not give up! :hug:

Edited by gentylwind

Good Morning Firedoll, If you are questioning if your eating to much I would ask the Dr's office how much am I supposed to eat and how often. When I left the Hospital I received a packet with directions for each stage.

At the Mushies & Now Regular food Stage I have been instructed that my Pouch will only hold 2oz of Solid or Fluid at a time. So that is all I'm allowed to eat at a sitting 2OZ.

I have a HUGH problem with self control and if it's there I'm going to eat it. I have to eat my meals while doing something else I can't sit at a table and take a bite..put the fork down... take a bite.. put the fork down.... I don't have the patients. So in order to get around this and give my head time to catch up with my tummy I clean up my meal while eating... take bite, wash a dish, take a bite, clean the stove.... that works for ME. It spaces things out....yes unforunatly your food does go cold:sneaky:but if it doesn't get a little chilli you may be eating to fast.

Restriction is tough for everyone...I'm only allowed 2oz of eggs this am so I st down at the computer and started typing took me 15 min to eat... Find something to do this week inbetween bites and see if it's TIME is the trick.

If after putting time inbetween bites doesn't work I have read a few posts that people have discoverd 3 Meals a day doesn't work for them they have to have 6 small meals a day. This may work for you... My Dr. has prescribed 3 Meals with a 2oz Protein Shake inbetween meals to help with hunger between meals. My shakes are only 110 Calories for 11oz !!! 0 sugar 17gms of Protein only 4gm carbs. so it gives my belly a little something before meals.

I stalk the heck out of my nutritionist because I had a mental break down and I was like this is so F'n confusing I can't remember everything. :angry_smile: BIG HUGS

Thanks Heather! Yes I a eating wayyyyy more than 2 oz of food at a sitting. I did get a packet with the weeks and what foods I can add and such. I too am supposed to have two Protein Shakes in between meals. It is SOOOO frustrating to have to time everything as the shakes are liquids and you have to keep them an hour away from your solids. I think better planning on when I eat and spacing out smaller meals is what I need to do to prevent myself from eating two larger meals....that is the problem I just figured that out. I am in my old habit of waiting to eat later in the day and eating too much then!!! Thanks girls I appreciate the support!

I'm thankfull for this site and this section We are all in the same boat give or take a week and we all are her to be supportive and share ideas and resources that others may not have. :angry_smile: Hugs for eveyone!!!

Thanks Heather! Yes I a eating wayyyyy more than 2 oz of food at a sitting. I did get a packet with the weeks and what foods I can add and such. I too am supposed to have two Protein Shakes in between meals. It is SOOOO frustrating to have to time everything as the shakes are liquids and you have to keep them an hour away from your solids. I think better planning on when I eat and spacing out smaller meals is what I need to do to prevent myself from eating two larger meals....that is the problem I just figured that out. I am in my old habit of waiting to eat later in the day and eating too much then!!! Thanks girls I appreciate the support!

Firedoll: I find that having the shakes in between my meals help keep the hunger at bay. I eat Breakfast around 7, have a shake at 10, lunch at noon, shake at 3, dinner at 6, shake at 8:30. And i normally don't feel hungry. I like to add sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding mix... just a small amt to my vanilla shake and it thickens up and is really rich and stays with me... no hunger pangs! I only do 4 oz of Water with my scoop of Protein Drink (20 grams of protein)... so it's not so much to drink at one time... love it.. Hope that gives you an idea to try. Good luck!

Firedoll: I find that having the shakes in between my meals help keep the hunger at bay. I eat breakfast around 7, have a shake at 10, lunch at noon, shake at 3, dinner at 6, shake at 8:30. And i normally don't feel hungry. I like to add sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding mix... just a small amt to my vanilla shake and it thickens up and is really rich and stays with me... no hunger pangs! I only do 4 oz of Water with my scoop of Protein drink (20 grams of protein)... so it's not so much to drink at one time... love it.. Hope that gives you an idea to try. Good luck!

Trish that sounds awesome because sometimes 2oz is not enough to keep hunger away!!! Going to ge some puddin today:lol:

Speaking of pudding, I have something fabulous that you ladies must try.

I've been getting SF Instant pudding mix (mainly the White chocolate and Cheesecake flavors). I mix it up with 2 cups of 2% milk (as the directions tell you to) but I also add in one scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream Protein Powder (24g per scoop). :angry_smile: The pudding thickens in 5 mins since it's the instant kind. It's soooooo damn good, OMG you have no idea, LOL. It's a protein-filled way to snack! Of course, since you add the Protein powder it makes the pudding thicker than it normally would be. I basically split one box of pudding into two small containers, and that usually serves as my afternoon snack before heading home from work. This way I don't go home starving - that leads to eating too much, haha.

Pretty much any flavor of the SF Instant pudding and any flavor protein powder will work! My husband does SF Chocolate pudding mix with Rocky Road protein powder. But I'm not as much of a chocolate fan, so I stick to the Cheesecake flavor mostly, that's my fave. :frown:

Speaking of pudding, I have something fabulous that you ladies must try.

I've been getting SF Instant pudding mix (mainly the White chocolate and Cheesecake flavors). I mix it up with 2 cups of 2% milk (as the directions tell you to) but I also add in one scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream Protein powder (24g per scoop). :frown: The pudding thickens in 5 mins since it's the instant kind. It's soooooo damn good, OMG you have no idea, LOL. It's a protein-filled way to snack! Of course, since you add the protein powder it makes the pudding thicker than it normally would be. I basically split one box of pudding into two small containers, and that usually serves as my afternoon snack before heading home from work. This way I don't go home starving - that leads to eating too much, haha.

Pretty much any flavor of the SF Instant pudding and any flavor protein powder will work! My husband does SF Chocolate pudding mix with Rocky Road protein powder. But I'm not as much of a chocolate fan, so I stick to the Cheesecake flavor mostly, that's my fave. :w00t:

Ok Heather.......:angry_smile:.....I just made 2oz of eggbeaters with a slice of FF cheese and ate it slow, I feel FULL!!!!:w00t: I need to eat more small meals a day, that is the problem.

Jaime.....where do you get the flavored Protein Drinks in vanilla ice cream and rock road??????PLEASSSSE tell us:tt2:

It does help you reach it sooner, without a doubt, but to use it to monitor when we are full by getting to the point of PBing on a regular basis (or nearly) is dangerous to our band. You have a fantastic attitude...restriction definitely helps, you are right. But some of it is also up to us to relearn better habits. I am amazed at how long I have been able to go without being hungry between meals now that I know what real "hungry" feels like. Its hard when you CAN eat more not to do so...to us, satisfied means "full". But really, satisfied is supposed to mean "not hungry".

Yesterday was not my strongest day. But I am rededicated today and doing well. It definitely is a pleasure, the way food tastes and feels in my mouth. I am struggling with it, but winning the struggle a lot of the time right now (90% of the time!) simply for fear of messing up the good thing I have going and now also because my clothes are starting to be too big! I am dropping weight since my surgery to the tune of 5 lbs per week. Won't stay that fast, but I want to take advantage of it as long as I can!

You are doing great...just keep evaluating and studying yourself, tweaking this and that, and do not give up! :hug:

Thank you so much for your support. Heather is right this group is a WONDERFUL group and I thank you all for being my true friends too!!! It takes a sincere person to be honest...:angry_smile:

Jaime.....where do you get the flavored Protein drinks in vanilla ice cream and rock road??????PLEASSSSE tell us:tt2:

It's not a protein drink, it's a protein powder that you mix with milk to make your protein drink. The brand I buy is called Optimum Nutrition 100% whey Protein Gold Series. They've got all sorts of yummy flavors!!! And they're all about 24g of protein per scoop, about 110cals and 5g carbs. :)

Optimum Nutrition at DPS Nutrition - The Nation's leader in Discount Nutrition

It's not a Protein drink, it's a protein powder that you mix with milk to make your protein drink. The brand I buy is called Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Gold Series. They've got all sorts of yummy flavors!!! And they're all about 24g of protein per scoop, about 110cals and 5g carbs. :)

Optimum Nutrition at DPS Nutrition - The Nation's leader in Discount Nutrition

Thanks!!! Just so you know I ordered the 16 variet pack to try all of them. Now what other things can you mix them with. I had some of the sf/ff cheesecake pudding and I made it and added 1 scoop of my chocolate protein powder drink mix. I devided it in 1/2 and at one portion......OMGGGG it was sooooo good and filling:thumbup:Thanks for the great tip!!!