Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Jammin January '07 Bandsters

Tonya, I'm sure it is so frustrating to be so close and then be restricted by physical issues to get where you want to be. I feel for you!! I think that is great, WW is a good program.

DH is doing fine. Very active and not too stoved up. He is sleeping in the front room, in the recliner, for now, so I didn't get up to work out the past bit. But I'm still motivated and just waiting till I can get out there and not disturb him.

Bandana..way to go on the win!! When we went to Vegas last month, we brought a bit home as well. Always nice!! But I be that doesn't happen very often.

I don't think I told you guys I got a brand new CAR. A subaru Forrester...My DH calls it my 50th b-day present, altho we really needed to replace my old Sub. But I'm sure feeling spoiled with a new car...my first!!

Side note...remember me telling you about the reflux..well, I'm self-diagnosing here,but I think I've developed a hiatal hernia. From throwing up! Go figure. I should go get it checked but I don't think I will. At least not for now. My Bad...but my eye is on my breast reduction next. Hopefully that will be coming up next month.

Sula

Congrats on the Birthday and the Car. Enjoy both. I had a swallow test 3 weeks ago to see if the restriction in my band had done any damage to my esophogus from throwing up and thankfully there was none. He said if the band was too tight my esophogus was be enlarged.

What exactly is a hiatal hernia. Now I'm self-diagnosisng. I think I'm getting an ulcer from the acid that comes up when I throw up. What do you think about that one?

Hi everyone,

Well, I saw the dr. last month. He did a swallow test and determined my esophagus was swollen and inflamed from the acid reflux and throwing up. Don't you think it's weird that after 2 years many of us are in the same acid reflux boat? I wonder if this is a common side effect. Does it take a couple of years for this to show up??? I had all the liquids taken out and they are going to be replaced tomorrow. I have mixed feelings about having the fluids put back in.. I was really miserable with the acid reflux. I hadn't slept a full night in months. Lots of choking and vomitting, yuck. Another weird thing is even with being sick I didn't lose any weight.

I don't now what to do and suggestions?

Thanks,

Susie-q

I got a brand new CAR. A subaru Forrester...My DH calls it my 50th b-day present, altho we really needed to replace my old Sub. But I'm sure feeling spoiled with a new car...my first!!

Side note...remember me telling you about the reflux..well, I'm self-diagnosing here,but I think I've developed a hiatal hernia. From throwing up! Go figure. I should go get it checked but I don't think I will. At least not for now. My Bad...but my eye is on my breast reduction next. Hopefully that will be coming up next month.

Congratulations on a new car! I'm hoping to get one in the next few months. We're going to give my old one to my 16 year old daughter and I get a new one. I've had my other one for 11 years and its time to move on. I'm trying to hold off until May to get a new one, trying to hold off on payments as long as possible. I haven't had a car payment in 7 years and it has been nice. But its time to take a payment on again, because I have to have a new car!

I had a hiatal hernia, and they fixed it when I got the band. I only have reflux problems when I eat late and not let the food settle before I go to bed. I have to eat about 3 hours before bedtime or I have problems.

I sure hope the insurance company pulls thru on your reduction, I know you are anxious about that.

I'm saving my pennies right now for a Tummy Tuck and Lipo. I'm hoping to do it in September or October, But not sure yet. I've got my quote of $5800 for both.

Don't you think it's weird that after 2 years many of us are in the same acid reflux boat? I wonder if this is a common side effect. Does it take a couple of years for this to show up??? I don't now what to do and suggestions?

Thanks,

Susie-q

Susie, I remember reading that one of the cons to the band is acid reflux, so I do think it comes on later. I do have it, but not as often. It seems to come and go. But when I have it, its horrible, it comes out my nose and it keeps me up all night coughing and choking. I hate it. I usually have it 2 times a week these days. After my hysterectomy I had it bad. I think I must have gotten tighter or something.

It seems to help me by not eating at least 3 hours before bedtime, I can't even take a drink of Water. This seems to help me.

Maybe you were too tight, and maybe having some Fluid will help you lose. It is frusterating, I totally feel your pain.

Sula

Congrats on the Birthday and the Car. Enjoy both. I had a swallow test 3 weeks ago to see if the restriction in my band had done any damage to my esophogus from throwing up and thankfully there was none. He said if the band was too tight my esophogus was be enlarged.

What exactly is a hiatal hernia. Now I'm self-diagnosisng. I think I'm getting an ulcer from the acid that comes up when I throw up. What do you think about that one?

I'm glad to hear that there was no damage to your esophogus. I don't have the problem of throwing up, I very rarely PB. Actually I can count how many times I've PB'd on one hand. I do have reflux at times.

Hiatal hernia is in your esophagus, or actually at the bottom of your esophagus where it meets the stomach. Below is a better definition.

A hiatal hernia is an anatomical abnormality in which part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm and up into the chest. Although hiatal hernias are present in approximately 15% of the population, they are associated with symptoms in only a minority of those afflicted.

Normally, the esophagus or food tube passes down through the chest, crosses the diaphragm, and enters the abdomen through a hole in the diaphragm called the esophageal hiatus. Just below the diaphragm, the esophagus joins the stomach. In individuals with hiatal hernias, the opening of the esophageal hiatus (hiatal opening) is larger than normal, and a portion of the upper stomach slips up or passes (herniates) through the hiatus and into the chest. Although hiatal hernias are occasionally seen in infants where they probably have been present from birth, most hiatal hernias in adults are believed to have developed over many years.

Now as far as your ulcer, if you throw up and it looks like coffee grounds, you have what they call a bleeding ulcer and need it looked at.

Well tonight I go to my weight watchers meeting again. I switched my days from Thursday to Monday. I gained the first week 4 pounds and I'm hoping for a loss this week. From my scales it shows I've lost 3 lbs, so we'll see what they tell me.

I've followed it to a T and it seems to work for me. Its more food than I'm used to eating and I have to force myself to get my points in, however, I think my problem was before that I don't eat enough and therefore, my body went into starvation mode. At least, thats what I think, who knows.

I'm trying to get back to the gym to do some sort of exercise this week. I still haven't been released from the doctor yet, but she did say I can walk on the treadmill, slowly.

I will check back later, have a Happy Monday.

Hi all...funny how we are all in the acid reflux boat. I do think the part (if not most) of my problem, is the late eating. I'm going to try to work on it again!! I need a break.

Too much reflux can lead to cancer of the esophogus, I've heard, so we need to stay on top of it.

I had a really bad (infuriated) two days last week after talking to my insurance company. They sent me another denial because in the photos, they couldn't see any grooves in my shoulders and the Dr. estimated that he would take out 500 grams and this scale that they use says they need to take out like 650 grams. BUT...if I wanted to go ahead and have the surgery, they would review it and see if they would cover it after the fact. I'm waiting to hear ( and actually they won't call...I'll have to track them down) from the Dr to see what our next step it..better photos and a new estimate? I was actually having homicidal thoughts.

I have this client who's hubby has been thumping on her. He was trying to find me last week (about the same time I was in my snit) to "threaten" me, as the wife said...I just smiled and said, bring it on (to myself). I would have loved to have gotten into it with someone. (I do have this seriously ornery streak ...I call her my evil twin). I was pretty good and didn't kill anyone close to me...even the DH. But he was sure keeping an eye on me.

I'm better today..as I had a lovely weekend of riding. Altho my shoulders are killing me!! Too much boob action! But outdoors in Feb...wow..what a treat.

Okay, gotta go to work and earn my dime. You all take care and lets see what we can do about this weightloss and Reflux issue!!

Hi all...funny how we are all in the acid reflux boat. I do think the part (if not most) of my problem, is the late eating. I'm going to try to work on it again!! I need a break.

Too much reflux can lead to cancer of the esophogus, I've heard, so we need to stay on top of it.

You are so right, I have developed Barrets esophogus which can lead to the esphogial cancer. I first had stage 4 esophogitis, but it has now turned to barrets esophagus. So having refulx is not good. Cutting out my eating late at night sure has helped.

Man, you are having a time with your insurance company, but I guess they all are sometimes problematic. I hope after the new pics and stuff it goes smoothly for you, I know your anxious!

I think I have figured out the reflux. I have tried prilosec and I have had no trouble at all this week. One pill a day. Oh boy, I hope this is it for me.

I need some feedback from my band buddies. I got a second denial from the insurance co on my breast reduction. I talked to the staff at the PS office and was going to go in for another photo but I postponed it. I need to think a bit.

When I talked to the office staff (must be someone who knows a bit) she said that if I had the 700 grams taken from each breast it would make me a B cup. The reason the grams are so high, if you will, is because of my weight and if I lose more weight the grams will be less. They use this chart to determine what needs to come out.

So, after being somewhat homicidal and then very weepy, I'm trying to think rationally about this. Would I (and my DH) be okay with a B-cup? Would I be better ot postpone it and work on my weightloss a bit more diligently? I'm afraid if I go ahead, I will be unhappy and then where will I be. A major surgery with a less than satisfactory result. For some reason I envision a C cup as being "average". I'm a 40 DD now...was a 44DDD when I first got banded.

What do you guys think? Please give me your feedback. I'm in a knot over this.

Sunshine

Thanks for the hiatal hernia update. When I had my swallow test a month ago it showed that my band was very close to the esophogus. I guess we all have to be aware and just keep this in mind.

Sula,

Hope the Prilosec continues to help. Wow, you've really come down in breast size. Maybe you should base your decsion on how much pain you are in and if you can take it until you lose more weight. How long did it take you from the 44DDD to the 40 DD? But I think you're thinking rationally in weighing your options. Remember you have time on your side to make this decision.

Bandana...I think the breast reduction was during my first year of weight loss. However, I see that I can cinch in my bra another notch on the fasteners. So, my girth is getting a bit less..or at least this week!! But still the same size bra.

I thought I'd show a weightloss this week but NOT. I have hardly kept anything down, which I think is related to the cold I have...don't ask me why but I feel very tight and things are not setting well.

That being said, I hit the pilates this morning and am gonig to work on getting my Protein in (I've been bad) and my Water. I've got to get back on the bandwagon instead of just coasting. Or hoping it is going to happen on its own.

Sula - personally, I think going from a DD to a B is a big change. My sister-in-law went from an I cup to a B and she is very unhappy. She thinks she should have went with a full C. I would not give up with the insurance company, but I would also continue to exercise and lose weight and see where that takes you. You could end up very happy with the results and not even want the surgery after that. Who knows?

I'm glad the prilosec worked for you, it seemed to help me a little too. However, I still have issues if I eat late at night.

Sunshine

Thanks for the hiatal hernia update. When I had my swallow test a month ago it showed that my band was very close to the esophogus. I guess we all have to be aware and just keep this in mind.

I'm glad you didn't have the hernia, another surgery to fix that would not have been fun!

I hit the pilates this morning and am gonig to work on getting my Protein in (I've been bad) and my Water. I've got to get back on the bandwagon instead of just coasting. Or hoping it is going to happen on its own.

Sula, I know exactly how you feel. I was released to start exercising from my doctor Friday. This morning the alarm went off at 4:45 and I tried to talk myself out of getting up, but I decided that the only way to get back into the groove of things was to get my rear up and hit the gym. I did about 35 min on the elliptical machine. I am headed to the gym at lunch and working my Upper Body. This will be the first time lifting weights in a long time.

Its amazing how quick my body has reacted to me not lifting, I seemed to have gotten so much "softer". I'm hoping to firm some stuff up and drop a few pounds in the process. :party:

Well, gotta get to work, its gonna be a loooong day.