Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Renewedhope is Headed for the Flatlands

Tonight I saw some size 8 shorts on clearance for $3. I asked DH if I should get them, and that maybe I could wear them once I was healed from surgery. There were some size 6 beside them. My DDH said, "You better get those 6's too". So, I bought both pair. I put the 8's on just to see. Ok this may be hard to picture, but I can buttona nd zip the 8's under my belly flap, so my flap is hanging over, but I could pull it up and actually see what a pair of shorts look like withou my belly flap. I LOOKED TINY!!! I couldn't even believ my own eyes. I can't imagine that she will really remove all of that "junk" that was hanging over, but if she doesn, man!!!! This will definately be worth it!!

I have had a few long surgeries in my time. My hysterectomy was almost 9 hours!!! I had endometrial cancer, and all the tissue had to be removed that had migrated all over....so it just went on forever. I did not have issue with blod clots, I had the air boots on until I began moving regularly on my own. And respiratory therapists were there with my breathing and coughing exercises very soon after surgery. They of course left the spirometer thing there for me to breath with every hour!

I totally understand your Dads fear, we always worry about those we love----but I also would imagine if you were to go talk to your friends in the hospital that work the surgical floor, they are probably quite used to dealing with patients who have had extended time surgeries---and they work with them accordingly. I cannot imagine your Dr. would agree to do the exteded work if she was not comfortable with the time it will take. My TT was over in a couple of hours.....but I just 2 weeks ago had surgery for a twisted intestine that he told my DH could take upward of 6 hours if it did not resolve easily---lucky for me it did, and 3.5 hours later it was done!

As you say, you are in excellent health----and you will LOVE the flat tummy----I am still in awe of it. I lie in bed in the morning and stretch, and I feel so different! I LOVE the results!!!

Good Luck---will be following your progress!!

Kat

Congrats on the size 8's... and the 6's!!!! It will no doubt feel wonderful to have that extra skin GONE and you will finally see the real results of all of your hard work. Glad to hear your hubby is behind you on this. They worry becasue they love you, but you have to do what you know in your heart is the right thing FOR YOU!!!!

I can't imagine that she will really remove all of that "junk" that was hanging over, but if she doesn, man!!!! This will definately be worth it!!

I feel the same way, I just can't imagine what I will look like without all the extra junk hanging there also. We are almost there!!!!

Cogratulations Renewed,

It is really exciting to get rid of the "junk in front". While my waist size isn't any different, when I put on my pants, they just pull on (no stuffing required) and my pants lie flat (maybe even concave) against my body. It is an incredible feeling when you put pants on for the first few times!!!!!

I got a panniculectomy four weeks ago along with 3 other surgeries (the panni was the most minor part). Was I nervous - HECK YES!!! Worried? Not really - I trusted that the surgeon's would be able to judge what I could tolerate. The good thing is that I was unconscious and didn't have to think. After all, they are not in the business of killing people, and like you, I was in my best health ever!!!

My stats pre surgery were very similar to yours - 5 feet 4 inches 164 pounds on the am of surgery. I had about 5 pounds of skin and fat removed. I am sure you know this already, but with a couple of weeks left, make sure you are eating as nutritiously as possible - lots of Protein. Don't focus on weight loss now - focus on being as strong as possible for the day of surgery. Stop taking any Vitamin E (check your Vitamins to make sure they don't have Vitamin E). Stop any advil and aspirin now.

The surgeries were long, and I was pretty sick for a couple of days, but make sure you are managing your pain - this is not the time to try to suck it up and be stoic in tolerating the pain. I actually found the nausea and then later heart burn to be worse to cope with. I am convinced I had the flu for a couple of days and THAT was miserable. I am quite happy to take lots of pain medication and go to my happy place :wub:. Move as much as they say you can (or don't if they say don't).

A bed wedge is a must have - I used it first to be comfortable in bed on my back and now am using it under my legs (with an extra pillow to even it out a bit) to help bring down the swelling in my legs.

I am very excited for you :wub:. Good luck and take care of yourself.

Thanks for the encouragement JJ. I can't wait. I am really very excited. My excitement overshadows the fears taht lie underneath. A falt belly?? I still can't imagine it!! Where do you get a bed wedge. Soundslike something I should check into.

Can't wait to join you all in the flatlands!!

Go to any medical care supplies place (my local one is called Home Care Medical Supply) - they usually have a couple of different thicknesses (it is a cotton covered really wide foam wedge- thin at the bottom, thickens as it goes up). If you can - try the different thicknesses on a mattress (or on the floor) before you buy. I ended up with a middle thickness.

When you first get home, it is uncomforable to lay flat on your back, but you can't really lay on your sides either, so I found this a very comfortable alternative. It also helps because you don't have to try getting up right from flat on your back (abdominal surgery = pain when getting up). I also lay a really flat pillow at the top of the wedge to raise my head just a little from my shoulders. I highly recommend it.

Best wishes!

Jacquie

I ordered the convoluted wedge pillow. 25" x 24" x 10" high, was $37.00 I believe. I also ordered a leg wedge pillow, but it is way too small so I have to send it back. I also picked up a large hot/cold compress in 11 x 14 size. it fits across the whole tummy, so should help with swelling. I didn't get any breast ones as I already have 2 smaller compresses that should work for the girls.

So far thats about it. I need to call and book a hotel room soon for a couple of nights before I can't find one. I have been procrastinating on it.

Good luck renewed!!!!!

I just measured by bed wedge and it is the same size as the one Shalee ordered.

I would also recommend that you have a flat pillow available. I found that laying on the wedge without extra support under my head made my neck sore, but a regular fluffy pillow was too much (also made my neck sore). I used my fluffy (but firm) pillow under my legs and feet at the same time. It almost made a cradle for my body, with was pretty comfortable.

Come to think of it, its kind of like Golidilocks - finding the positions that aren't too hard, too soft, too low or too high, but juusst right :D