Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! I can't quit caffiene!

My doc says I REALLY need to quit taking in caffiene. I WANT to quit. When I was pregnant with my DD I quit caffiene (and smoking, drinking, everything cold turkey as soon as I found out). I knew I HAD to then... and I really NEED to now. It's not good for me.

But GEEZ it's super duper hard this time! I am so freakin tired I fell asleep at the wheel at least 3 times during my hour commute to work this morning.

What can I do??? The obvious suggestion would be to work out, which I did take a little walk on the treadmill last night, but I'm just getting back in the habit of exercising so I wasn't on for long.

Any other suggestions? I'm at work and I seriously feel like I could fall asleep sitting up at my desk. I'm about 2 seconds from hitting the coffee pot. I just started quitting yesterday and already I'm bombing. I really think it was easier to quit smoking... at least then I was awake and not endangering people (well, aside from being a homicidal B%$#^H lol).

Caffeine is one of the hardest things to give up, and I wouldn't do it cold turkey. Your body has gotten used to having it and the crash you are describing is normal when it's suddenly gone. Write out a schedule of declining amounts over about a week, allow yourself maybe 75% of your previous intake the first day, and lower it a bit every day until you are down to none. You will adjust to it being gone much easier this way.

I suggest getting some Vitamin B drops. They are in liquid form and you put a dropper full under your tongue and hold it there for 30 seconds. They give you a boost of energy, and it's a good source of vitamin B. You can do it!

This is one of the medical issues which I don't buy into. I'm not convinced that the negatives of caffeine outweigh the benefits. Maybe its a person by person basis but neither my PCP or my lapband surgeon had much issue with my caffeine intake.

I had the same issues when I quit prior to being banded. You just need to bite the bullet and do it. I was exhausted for an entire week. I was in bed every night by 7:30, 8pm. I took a nap on my lunch hour every day for a week. I have an hour drive to work also, and had the same issue of feeling like I was going to fall asleep. I kept cold Water with me, as well as peppermints, which helped. That enitre week was bad, but by week 2 I felt back to normal. By week 3 I actually had so much more energy than when I was drinking caffeine. It was weird. I haven't had any caffeine now since March and I don't miss it. I won't lie and say it was easy. It was really hard for me. But, you can do it. It's just another hurdle! :rolleyes:

If caffine is all thats keeping you awake, I think there's other problems. Perhaps if you got enough sleep that wouldn't happen.

I gave up caffine a couple years ago, cold turkey, it was bad for a week or so, the headaches finally went away, I learned my body wanted more sleep than I had been giving it. Once I started listening to my own body it wasn't hard.

Perhaps tapering off would be better for you than cold turkey.

For the person saying they don't buy into caffine being bad. Even poison is good for something.

Edited by mnn2501

There are other problems. I have PCOS and hypothyroid... so being tired is pretty much a given for me. I can't find my thyroid meds ANYWHERE (somehow I wound up with hubbys meds in my purse and my thyroid meds missing on the same day, maybe he's trying to kill me slowly lol), if I don't find them today I'm just going to have to get another refill... but I really don't want to because i JUST got that one less than a week ago.

So yeah, health problems.... that's why I'm so dependent on caffiene... coffee, energy drinks, $5 lattes with an extra shot of espresso, soda, etc. I'm practically a junkie.

I just went and got a half cup of coffee. I'm going to taper.

If caffine is all thats keeping you awake, I think there's other problems. Perhaps if you got enough sleep that wouldn't happen.

I gave up caffine a couple years ago, cold turkey, it was bad for a week or so, the headaches finally went away, I learned my body wanted more sleep than I had been giving it. Once I started listening to my own body it wasn't hard.

Perhaps tapering off would be better for you than cold turkey.

For the person saying they don't buy into caffine being bad. Even poison is good for something.

I am right there with you. I am trying to taper down. Right now I am down to a cup of coffee in am and a diet pop in pm. My surgery is Oct 22, so my goal is to be off caffine by Monday the 22nd of Sept so I can be 1 month caffine free by the time of surgery. Anyhow Good luck! You can do it. I have pcos and hypothyroid too, so I really do understand! Keep us posted!!!!

My doc says I REALLY need to quit taking in caffiene. I WANT to quit. When I was pregnant with my DD I quit caffiene (and smoking, drinking, everything cold turkey as soon as I found out). I knew I HAD to then... and I really NEED to now. It's not good for me.

But GEEZ it's super duper hard this time! I am so freakin tired I fell asleep at the wheel at least 3 times during my hour commute to work this morning.

What can I do??? The obvious suggestion would be to work out, which I did take a little walk on the treadmill last night, but I'm just getting back in the habit of exercising so I wasn't on for long.

Any other suggestions? I'm at work and I seriously feel like I could fall asleep sitting up at my desk. I'm about 2 seconds from hitting the coffee pot. I just started quitting yesterday and already I'm bombing. I really think it was easier to quit smoking... at least then I was awake and not endangering people (well, aside from being a homicidal B%$#^H lol).

I felt the exact same way. It took me about a week before I had energy in the morning. One day I seriously was sitting up at me desk before I knew it my eyes were closed, I just could not keep them open. I stopped Aug 25th. My surgery was Sept.8th. I just got up about an hour ago and feel great without the caffiene. Just hang in there! YOU CAN DO IT!

It's hard but you can do it! If I were you I'd reward myself by putting aside that $5 I was spending on lattes every day and buying myself something awesome once I succeeded in giving up the caffeine!

For me, giving up the caffine was really easy, along with the carbonated drinks, and smoking. I just went cold turkey. The last time I had any of the above mentioned, was about 4 hours before my surgery. I still crave the smokes and caffine but not really all that bad. I know that I gave it up for wonderful reasons and that is what keeps me going.

I was also told to give up caffeine prior to surgery. Well, I decided to wait and do it starting the day of my surgery. I had a super size diet coke the day before my surgery and then went cold turkey. I have not had any caffeine for the last 3 weeks and I am fine. I had some headaches the first few days, but I was taking my liquid pain meds anyway so it got rid of the headaches. By the time I stopped the liquid pain meds a week later, I was over the caffeine withdrawal.

I used to say drinking caffeine did not affect my sleeping - but I have slept so much better since I being caffeine free.

I drink Decaf iced tea and have decided not to having any caffeine now as I don't want to have to go through withdrawal again.

My surgeon did not care if I gave up caffeine. I still drink it. He said as long as it doesn't bother my stomach. It doesn't so I am still drinking my coffee. I have given up alot during this journey...but coffee isn't one of them.

My surgeon did not care if I gave up caffeine. I still drink it. He said as long as it doesn't bother my stomach. It doesn't so I am still drinking my coffee. I have given up alot during this journey...but coffee isn't one of them.

same here, in fact coffee & tea were on my post op liquid list.

i realize it's an appetite stimulant - but for me, i need that in the morning - in order to eat. i found my metabolism suffers if i don't start the day off with food/nutrition....so the cup or 2 of coffee in the AM:

1- losens me up (sorta tight in the morning)

2- jump starts my meal intake for the day

3- makes me a MUCH nicer person than w/out:wink:

I gave up pop, chips, Cookies, icecream, candy, bread, potatoes, rice, ect. You get the idea. I love my coffee and have never been told to give it up and since I don't drink the fancy ones or ones with sugar in them I do think I am ok. I work night shift in an environment that there is access to a ton of bad things to eat and coffee helps me keep on track. I too have pcos and it is a struggle but it means we just have to work harder. I think coffee, for me, keeps me from sticking my hand into the cookie jar.

We all have to do what works for our own individual bodies.

cc