Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Janet's Fashion Show

I am pretty good at knowing what will look good on me (I think) and I will try diff styles - but pretty much like classic clothing with a llitte trend mixed in..

I really try to dress my age - I hate seeing women in their 50's trying to dress like a teenager - I won't do legging with a dress - I think I am too old for that look.

I am not good at accessorizing - I wear gold hoops - I have a heart diamond necklace - watch and tennis Bracelet and 2 rings - They are real and too good to sit in the drawer so - I usually don't go for the chunky necklaces - earring - bracelet etc - that can really make an outfit..

What Not to Wear comes on Friday Nites TLC Channel - Start watching that -

All your choices are good ones Janet. What you need to remember is that often print styles change, so what may look good today will not look so good in 5 or 10 years.

The classic look is classic for a reason. It looks good now, it looked good a decade ago, it'll look good in 20 years time.

As for dressing your age, um... you don't look your age. :smile: You look at least 10 years younger. But you do dress appropriate for the 40s. I don't like women who dress too young. My dad was always saying "Mutton dressed as lamb." For those who don't know, mutton is the meat from a mature sheep where as lamb is... well, lamb. :)

The jewelry you have on in these pics is good. Again try to remember when choosing your jewelry to make sure it'll still look good in 5 or 10 years.

I like the open toe shoes. It gives us a little splash of color and shows that you maintain every part of your body from head to toe. Also the color on your toes matches your fingers and I think that's important too.

I like the way you're posing with your hands resting on your thighs. I want you to take a look at that second group of shots, the group with the green top in it. Notice how in the second shot your pants seem to gather at the knees. I think it's because the bottoms are caught up on the heels of your shoes. The length just looks a little shorter there and so the fabric is gathered at the knees. It would look better if your pants dropped to their full length. So make sure they don't get caught on anything. The shot with the green top looks good because your lower half is turned slightly off centre, your knee is bent and you look a little more casual and relaxed.

I know some of my comments are a little nit-picky. But I also know you want to put your best foot forward and are looking to us to help you get there. I am SO proud of you. You deserve to be chosen for this TV ad. You're an inspiration to us all. Even when you put your hands on your hips and give us "mom lectures". ;):)

Wow Ruby! A fashionista in our midst! Your insights are excellent, and you can be our official fashion guru.

Of all the fashion choices out there, I think flattering dresses are the hardest to find. Even on my favorite show - What Not to Wear - I often do not like the dresses people choose. There's just something about the way the fabrics drape, the hemlines - many are just not flattering. I think the skirt/jacket combinations - both the business suits and the casual combos are usually more flattering. Maybe because there seem to be more options for the individual to combine and add their own special touches, color, etc. Hemlines are also very important - esp for those of us who are height challenged. Hems at knee length are usually best for us.

I am looking forward to shopping in a few months. Not crazy about it right now - I feel like nothing is flattering to me at this point. That's okay, it is changing. I'll save my money for when it will make a difference. I'm retired - I can quilt in my jammies if I want to!

Ok here are some of the outfits I have tried on... My doc likes the classic way I dress - he commented on it once when I was in for a visit "I like the way you dress"

Hi Janet; O.k. here are my Favorites.

Group 1 - 4 going from left to right each time....

GROUP#1 - Middle outfit is my fav.

GROUP #2 - LEFT , 1st pic on the

GROUP #3 - none of these

GROUP #4 - LEFT, 1st pic from the left.

I too like the BLACK/White look, but lets face it you can wear COLOR very well, especially now at your weight.

You look just yummy!! :smile:

indigogirl you look Great! Your weightloss is such an inspiration. I love love love fashion so I can't wait until the day comes when I can post my own fashion show. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Janet,

OK, here are my favorites:

Group 1 - #1

Group 2 - #1

On a personal note, I LOVE black and white. It just seems so sophisticated. You have the same coloring as my daughter and she looks great in black and white, too.

Love,

Ellen

OOOHHHH WWEEEEE Honey Chile You look fantastic!!!!!

I am so freakin jealous!!!

I love all the outfits. If I had to choose one, which is very hard,

I think I choose the first picture on the 3rd set. The short black jacket thingy, with the print black shirt, and the white pants.

Thanks Ladies - I am getting nervous.... I was all full of myself when I got the call now - getting scared...

I can't wait for them to call - are they going to script what I am going to say or do I -

As the ones who have met (phy & peaches) me know know I am hyper critical of myself - my arms - the bags under my eye - will my hair be perfect or flat...

Will my voice quiver - I wish I had my Lapband family with me to cheer me on - I think I am going to have to ask gf for a xanxa :embaressed_smile:

All your choices are good ones Janet. What you need to remember is that often print styles change, so what may look good today will not look so good in 5 or 10 years.

The classic look is classic for a reason. It looks good now, it looked good a decade ago, it'll look good in 20 years time.

As for dressing your age, um... you don't look your age. :w00t: You look at least 10 years younger. But you do dress appropriate for the 40s. I don't like women who dress too young. My dad was always saying "Mutton dressed as lamb." For those who don't know, mutton is the meat from a mature sheep where as lamb is... well, lamb. :mellow:

The jewelry you have on in these pics is good. Again try to remember when choosing your jewelry to make sure it'll still look good in 5 or 10 years.

I like the open toe shoes. It gives us a little splash of color and shows that you maintain every part of your body from head to toe. Also the color on your toes matches your fingers and I think that's important too.

I like the way you're posing with your hands resting on your thighs. I want you to take a look at that second group of shots, the group with the green top in it. Notice how in the second shot your pants seem to gather at the knees. I think it's because the bottoms are caught up on the heels of your shoes. The length just looks a little shorter there and so the fabric is gathered at the knees. It would look better if your pants dropped to their full length. So make sure they don't get caught on anything. The shot with the green top looks good because your lower half is turned slightly off centre, your knee is bent and you look a little more casual and relaxed.

I know some of my comments are a little nit-picky. But I also know you want to put your best foot forward and are looking to us to help you get there. I am SO proud of you. You deserve to be chosen for this TV ad. You're an inspiration to us all. Even when you put your hands on your hips and give us "mom lectures". :embaressed_smile::cool2:

Ruby too funny I love your critiquing (sp) - the black pants aren't hemmed just tucked under - most of my pants have to be hemmed even with heels on.. You can tell that my toes & fingers match - omw - I really do need you here - hop on a plane - Yes they do match they ALWAYS match - I am funny about that I would never have red toes and coral nails - the only time they don't match is when I get a new set on my nails and then I go with the natural (american french) and my toes have color..

I like the white pants myself - I think that I look thin in them - I am going to try them on tonite with the green top and this weekend I got a yellow cotton 3/4 open weave sweater and a purple top that's long sleeved and cinched at the waist.. I am going to try both on with the white pants tonight - I love the lime green top but wish it's sleeves were a little longer

I truly appreciate your honesty - my kind of girl..

Hey! Sorry I haven't posted. I went away for my fill, and a little vacation at the same time. It was weird because I did not have any emails from LBT when I got back on my computer, and I asked, "how can nobody have made a new post in a week?" I logged into LBT, then got an email that there was a new post here, and came to read, but it was about 5 pages of new posts!!! I skimmed through most of them. JANET, this is soooo cool, but I couldn't find the info on exactly what you're doing!!! Is it for a TV commercial (that was what I assumed from the posts)? I loved your fashion pics! Keep em' coming. I'm a Libra so decisions are not my strong suit, but I like the pant outfits best, and the black and white. White pants look fabulous on you...I hope I can say that about myself 1 day! Just remember with white pants panty-lines will show more (if you didn't already consider that). So is it this Wednesday (today) or next Wednesday? Please fill me in about it! Good Luck! :)

So, below I just copy and pasted my post to the July Butterflies thread.

I had my first fill on 9/11-Thursday, then I could only have liquids until Monday (Dr.'s orders). So I have been back on normal food for 2 days. So far it seems practically the same as before. Meaning not too much restriction, and I'm still counting my calories, as to not go overboard. They put 1.8ccs in my 4cc band. I hope that I will feel a bit more restriction with my next fill, and enough before I reach the max of 4cc! After I eat it's not really a full feeling, but more of a "I swallowed a horse-pill feeling and it got a bit stuck", so I do stop eating, but this is weird to me. That is normal, right? It is still after quite a bit of food though.

My Dr. said that it is fine for me to begin weights now, but to still NOT do abdominal work until 3 full months after my surgery (7/24-10/24). Doing them too soon could cause problems with the port; which, is sutured to the abdominal wall.

I'm slowly losing. I thought it would be a bit faster, but at least the scale is going down. It's been 13 pre-op and 19 post-op. Continued success to everyone. biggrin.gif

Hey! Sorry I haven't posted. I went away for my fill, and a little vacation at the same time. It was weird because I did not have any emails from LBT when I got back on my computer, and I asked, "how can nobody have made a new post in a week?" I logged into LBT, then got an email that there was a new post here, and came to read, but it was about 5 pages of new posts!!! I skimmed through most of them. JANET, this is soooo cool, but I couldn't find the info on exactly what you're doing!!! Is it for a TV commercial (that was what I assumed from the posts)? I loved your fashion pics! Keep em' coming. I'm a Libra so decisions are not my strong suit, but I like the pant outfits best, and the black and white. White pants look fabulous on you...I hope I can say that about myself 1 day! Just remember with white pants panty-lines will show more (if you didn't already consider that). So is it this Wednesday (today) or next Wednesday? Please fill me in about it! Good Luck! :thumbup:

So, below I just copy and pasted my post to the July Butterflies thread.

I had my first fill on 9/11-Thursday, then I could only have liquids until Monday (Dr.'s orders). So I have been back on normal food for 2 days. So far it seems practically the same as before. Meaning not too much restriction, and I'm still counting my calories, as to not go overboard. They put 1.8ccs in my 4cc band. I hope that I will feel a bit more restriction with my next fill, and enough before I reach the max of 4cc! After I eat it's not really a full feeling, but more of a "I swallowed a horse-pill feeling and it got a bit stuck", so I do stop eating, but this is weird to me. That is normal, right? It is still after quite a bit of food though.

My Dr. said that it is fine for me to begin weights now, but to still NOT do abdominal work until 3 full months after my surgery (7/24-10/24). Doing them too soon could cause problems with the port; which, is sutured to the abdominal wall.

I'm slowly losing. I thought it would be a bit faster, but at least the scale is going down. It's been 13 pre-op and 19 post-op. Continued success to everyone. biggrin.gif quote]

Yep it's for a tv commercial for my doctor - I was suppose to film today but it's been moved to 10/1. I have a couple more outfits - I got a purple top this past weekend - havn't taken pictures to post yet - now I have another week or so to fret about what to wear..

I am such a perfectionist - that's my problem - I want to look perfect - I think the white pants are the most slimming (what a shock to say)- they really are jeans so they are thicker..

Your band holds more than 4 cc from what I have read from other pple who have them.. Once you get to sweet spot - you won't need to get getting fills - I haven't had one since January and that one ended up being .02 just a tweak as I call it - and I sure don't foresee needing another one ..

That feeling is the new full :tongue2: - don't push it cuz if you do :thumbup: pbing happends - cuz I have said one more bite - and then I regret it :)

19 lbs in 2 months is GREAT !!!!!! Kepp up the good work...

I don't get email notification - it clogs up my email - I just go to user cp when I want to see who has posted - my subscriped threads show up there...

I like the way you dress too! You look funky and stylish but not mutton dressed as lamb. Completely right for someone over 30, but not placing yourself anywhere age wise, it'd be hard to tell how old you are.

Althought I sort of agree on the dresses, but I think the boots will make a difference there.

You show that's it possible to dress appropriately without dressing old. I can see all of those outfits on a 35 year old, a 55 year old and even on my mum who's nearly 70.

I like the way you dress too! You look funky and stylish but not mutton dressed as lamb. Completely right for someone over 30, but not placing yourself anywhere age wise, it'd be hard to tell how old you are.

Althought I sort of agree on the dresses, but I think the boots will make a difference there.

You show that's it possible to dress appropriately without dressing old. I can see all of those outfits on a 35 year old, a 55 year old and even on my mum who's nearly 70.

Thanks Jachut that was great to hear for a 53 yr grandma of 3 with bag and sag skin :thumbup:- the pics don't really show as well as tv will - I most likely will wear pants and something to cover my arms to the elbows but since I have another 2 weeks to figure it out

I will change 10 more time :thumbup: what I am going to wear :)

I loved the mutton reference - I knew the saying - my Dad liked to kid me that I liked mutton better than lamb cuz I wanted my lamb to taste like lamb and when I would cook it - it would smell up the whole house - he told me I was eating mutton not lamb - well the package said new zeland spring lamb :tongue2:

I am also a fanatic for What Not to Wear. I enjoy the tranformations that the clothes make. It help to see what styles are flattering to different body shapes. Another show is How Do I Look on the STYLE channel. It starts out being a bit harsh, but again the difference the clothes make on one's attitude is fantastic.

My biggest accessories now are shoes, watches and earrings. I even started wearing a little make-up. I can't remember the last time I even wore any kind of make-up. I was pleasantly surprised by the change it made in how I looked..

Janet - Make sure you let us all know what you end up weaing for your debut